Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: T.P. Free, I just may be!!  (Read 1716 times)

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
T.P. Free, I just may be!!
« on: June 26, 2016, 09:45:00 PM »
Without explanation something happened earlier that completely transformed my shot control. Now if you never suffered target panic you may not find this too exciting. Every since I started archery (mostly the training wheel variety) in the mid 70's I've shot with an open hand. This was adopted early and became the norm for me. I've watched Welch with his students and time after time he would utter "one thousand one one thousand two" in an apparent effort to instill a structured method. I understood this as I knew my execution was flawed. Knowing I needed a bit more time to pull my shot off I set out earlier to do what it took. Not even sure why I tried it but earlier this evening I thought I would attempt to grip my bow while shooting. To my surprise my shooting immediately improved. Hand shock is the only trade off but for now I'll take it. I cant for the life of me figure how it controls the timing of my release but after a long disappointment there now seems to be light at the end of my tunnel. Anyone care to guess why a slight grip vs. an open one would allow me to drop the string when I get ready  instead of when PANIC tells me too. Seems too good to be true but I tested this through many shots as I couldn't believe it was happening.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: T.P. Free, I just may be!!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 10:13:00 PM »
I have watched for years people that shoot with an open hand , and most every one of them antisapate the shot and catch the bow .
I can point it out to them and they will deny it .
I have taught a loose grip to my archery students , and once they get it , there shooting immediately improves .
I will never teach open hand shooting .
It's a subconscious thing and with you holding the grip , your subconscious mind knows you don't have to catch the bow and your follow through is more stable .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 10:56:00 PM »
X2 what Graps said
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »
Man I really hope that you figured it out! TP is a horrible thing.
Keep me updated Kirk.
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 11:59:00 PM »
I hope so to buddy, you know me and Tommy feel your pain.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 12:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Graps:
I have watched for years people that shoot with an open hand , and most every one of them antisapate the shot and catch the bow .
I can point it out to them and they will deny it .
I have taught a loose grip to my archery students , and once they get it , there shooting immediately improves .
I will never teach open hand shooting .
It's a subconscious thing and with you holding the grip , your subconscious mind knows you don't have to catch the bow and your follow through is more stable .
My experience exactly!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 12:51:00 AM »
i hope your TP stays fixed.  I needed other fixes with my form and thinking to get some control.

I will say when I switched from years of shooting with an open hand to a loose grip, my shooting improved.

Pretty much the same reasons Graps said so x3 on that one.

Offline shankspony

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 05:59:00 AM »
Wow! I was watching someone shoot with an open hand tonight, and the hand closing at the shot to catch the bow, and I thought-  "Thats the equivalent of a flinch waiting to happen with a rifle and bad trigger."
I think Graps has it dead on.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 08:45:00 AM »
I hope it stays fixed for you, but I suspect it won't.

Any change in shooting style/form usually has an affect, sometimes positive, sometimes negative.

Gripping the bow is temporarily taking your mind off releasing the arrow, but bow grip doesn't cause target panic, repetitive action, pressure (physical and/or mental)  and brain machinations do.  As soon as your brain gets used to the new grip, it will go back to doing what it was doing before.  

Unfortunately, I speak from experience. But who knows, maybe it will work for you. We can hope.  Good luck.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »
I hope you stay in remission forever plus one day! Have to say it though, when I read the thread title, I thought this was going to be about the other TP, and the use of leaves, corncobs etc was going to be discussed, and I was praying, please no pictures!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »
Target panic is directly caused from thinking to much .
Cut down what you think during the shot and there is no target panic .
You need to think like a kid , go shoot things like clover blossoms .
When you shoot the only thing you think about should be " I wonder if I can hit that ? "
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 11:52:00 AM »
A different grip may correct a flaw in your form and you may shoot better.  As described above, if you were shooting open hand and catching the bow on release, then a light grip may eliminate that.  However, I do not believe that a slight form modification will correct target panic.  It has been my experience that this will be very short lived and when your brain gets used to the slight form mod, it will again start to short circuit the process.
  Developing and maintaining a good shot sequence throughout the shot is IMHO the only way you will get rid of target panic for good.  
  I hope it does continue to work for you, but if it doesn't, don't give up.  You can develop a solid shot sequence and control your shot!

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
When I first read the title I thought you had found a natural alternative to Toilet Paper...
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 04:16:00 PM »
I hope it does work for you. I've had a few "close calls" over the years, but it always returned. Sometimes better, some times worse. Just keep trying.

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 04:21:00 PM »
At first I decided not to mention that a short term fix generally doesn't fix TP, long term.

Having read more post I would say I agree that usually the fix won't last long term.

Since what your doing is working, I would suggest working on exercises that are known to help with TP.  "watch the arrow, hold and don't release, blank bale, etc.  Use a mantra.  All of it.  Have a shot process to make sure it stays gone or, unless your different from everyone else, it will most likely come back.

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 09:45:00 PM »
I knew all along my grip shouldn't cure panic but I was enjoying the fruits of consistency. Even this evening things went very well. I wont dare argue with those that say it will rear it's ugly head again as I've known it's curse for far too long. It's easy to tell the ones that have struggled with T.P. as they explain it best. I love to hear victory reports as they give me added confidence. So if you've whipped the beast let's hear it. Thanks for all the replies, even the ones I didn't want to hear.   :thumbsup:

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 11:57:00 PM »
I was packing for the 4th and mis read your title, and was going to offer to send you a roll.  Sorry been a long hot day

TP has caused people to quit, even wheel bow shooters.  If you master a bit of it at a time, you may overcome the malady.  My "bit" was anchor point.  Once I got that, things got better
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 05:50:00 PM »
I personally know TP. But I did not want to tell you that it finds a way to creep back in no matter what you do.
I had it so bad with the compound that I wanted to give it up. I was introduced to traditional archery by a late friend. To my amazement I had no TP when shooting a trad bow. Six years now I have not touched my compound. It can rot in its case!
No sights, no trigger, no problems  :)

Keep plugging away at it Kirk
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 07:26:00 PM »
Will do bud thanks for the encouragement! I did fine again this evening.

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 10:25:00 PM »
I have struggled with TP for many years.  When I was a teen I saved up for a custom Talon longbow and of course ordered it in the 75# range thinking thats what I needed in case I wanted to hunt the western big game. I used a swing-draw style and 'snap shooting' was what I thought I was supposed to do.  Later on, I began to make my own bows more and these were Native American style self bows of elm, hornbeam and ash. They had sinew strings and I used a pinch style grip (actually worked well and I could pull hunting weight bows with no issues). BUT...again, I was using snap style and even worse with these bows....a 'floating anchor point' out in front of my face.  Now,  going back to long bows about 10 years ago, I tried to use good form and develop a solid anchor point with more controlled release.  Couldn't do it!  I had trained my brain to release the arrow if it was anywhere near my face.  So, I have been studying the problem VERY carefully and searching for ways to beat it.  The Kidwell book has been great and made  a big difference for me. Also, the MBB series (especially vol 3 & 4) were a huge help.  I have used all the different methods I could find and all the drills. I even did the 6weeks of letting back down not releasing a single arrow!  But, nothing really worked for very long and if I shot with my buddy...well, I'd be jerking arrows off target and into his wood pile.  I have done years now of blank bale and some days that is ALL I would do. But, still the problem comes back.  This past winter I finally took what I saw Joel Turner doing on MBB 4 and actually purchased his e-book.  It has turned everything around for me.  I gained control on the shot.  I have confidence now. I am having fun with shooting now and have even been able to shoot along with my buddy. Is it completely gone?  No. i have to carefully watch that I am focused on the method. If I don't, it is waiting to mess up my shot.  But, I am very excited about every practice session now.  

Dan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©