Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Groups All Over  (Read 858 times)

Offline Reddog

• Trad Bowhunter
Groups All Over
« on: July 26, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
I am just getting back into traditional archery.  I have had my new bow for a couple of weeks now.  I have been playing around with anchor points to see what feels best for me and what works.  

I don't always get a decent group at 15 yards, but when I do, they tend to be all over the place; some groups are high, low, but most are left.  

What causes group movement like this - is it torque or failing to achieve the same anchor point consistently?

Thanks for your help.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Groups All Over
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 11:04:00 AM »
It's a combination of torque, concentration, and failure to do a lot of things consistently.  At this stage of the game, it is best dealt with by just enjoying shooting for a while until you get used to your new bow and the movements required to shoot.  You should focus on increasing your awareness of what's going on when you shoot an arrow, without spending a lot of time making judgements about it.  As you become more aware of what you're doing, you will make a lot of necessary corrections without having to consciously decide to do anything.  Frequently, we think we know what makes one arrow go one way and another arrow go a different way, but we're wrong and making a conscious correction just makes things worse.

After you become comfortable with your new setup, look around for a class or send a video in for Arne to evaluate, and then you can start tweaking your form.  It's always easier for someone else to see what you need to change than trying to figure it out yourself, although that can work too; it just takes longer.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Reddog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 11:10:00 AM »
Thanks.  

I am enjoying shooting it, but like everybody, I get frustrated when I am all over the place.  I do get great pleasure though in taking a shot and pretty much knowing that it felt right and is going to hit very close to what I was looking at.

Offline Draven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 10:25:00 PM »
I am often ripping a flower (daisy these days) and stick it into an existing arrow hole on the target. There is no point of distraction other then that flower. I use it as concentration exercise. Might work and can be fun to try to hit the flower from different directions and distances.
I think that before the technicality part of the archery, concentration needs more training then anything else.

Offline peanut39350

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 11:12:00 PM »
Concentration is my biggest key if my concentration isn't good I couldn't hit the side of a barn but when my concentration is good i can shoot sweetgum balls

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©