Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: hard time holding  (Read 1132 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
hard time holding
« on: July 29, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »
Hey guys im having a hard time holding anchor at further ranges, i feel like i have to rush the shot more at longer ranges, any idea how to fix this or whats going on?
kyle
aim small miss small

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: hard time holding
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
I draw slower on longer shots.....works for me....might work for you....worth a shot..or two.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »
I'm just the opposite....  but I just try to relax, burn a hole into the spot and count to 3.

I like Mr. Terry's draw slow solution... I might try that one as well!

Good luck, shoot straight and God Bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 10:35:00 AM »
Any time someone feels like they "have to rush the shot" under one set of circumstances, and not under another set of circumstances, it could be a sign that target panic is creeping in.  If you can learn to control this at an early stage, you might be able to avoid the more extreme measures you hear about.  I think the best way to control this at an early stage is this:

1.  Draw the bow under the circumstances that create the urge to release prematurely, in your case, a longer shot.

2.  As you draw the bow, look at the target in a general way without focusing on the spot.  When you get to full draw, if you get the urge to release prematurely, look away from the target:  look at the back of your riser, the sky, or whatever, other than the spot.  Continue to hold at full draw.

3.  Don't fight the feeling of urgency or nervousness; instead, embrace it and allow yourself to feel it.  After a few moments, the feeling should go away on its own without you trying to make it go away.

4.  After the feeling or urgency goes away, focus on the spot and complete your shot.

I have had full blown target panic several times, and know it's always looking for an opportunity to rear its ugly head again. I look at the back of the riser as I draw the bow, because I know that focusing on the spot is one thing that triggers target panic for me.  I only focus on the spot after I come to full draw and do an internal form check.  If my alignment is correct when I start my draw, I'm usually not that far off target when I focus on the spot, but I usually have to make some aiming adjustment at that point.  I think at your stage, you might be able to get away with looking at the target as you draw without focusing on it, which is where I would like to get to myself, and would avoid the last moment aiming adjustment I usually have to make.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 04:11:00 PM »
terry how does drawing slower at longer help? i was just curious
aim small miss small

Offline John Kelly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 03:34:00 PM »
IMO blaming anything on "target panic" is only a way of avoiding specific form issues.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 08:21:00 PM »
John Kelly, I respectfully disagree.  Target panic is a mental issue involving being able to control your shot.  Sometimes it's releasing without wanting to, others it's not being able to release at all.  Mentally, one must be able to use the brain to control the body, and thus the shot.  Form can be good, but if the brain takes control and forces the shot to go off before the body is ready that's bad.  That's a mental issue not a form issue.  No amount of form training will fix the mental issue....in my opinion.  Solid form must be developed IN CONJUNCTION with mental shot control.  These are separate facets of a shot sequence that must be performed in unison for consistent accuracy.  Sure, anyone can slop a good shot occasionally without solid form or shot control, but I'll guarantee that any consistent bow shot be it a "snap shooter" (I hate that term) or the guy that holds at anchor for an eternity is in control of their shot sequence.  They say when the shot goes off, not the subconscious mind, be it fast or slow.  Watch Terry Green's shooting videos, then watch Rod Jenkins.  They're doing nearly the exact same thing from a form and alignment standpoint, Terry does it fast, Rod very slow.  You can bet your bottom dollar they both have complete control of their shot, however.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 11:43:00 PM »
Geeze John Kelly.  Like so many others I don't avoid, but instead carefully work on form and the mental game and anything else that will help me get in control of my shot.  No excuses here.  Just a necessary condition that for some of us needs to be faced head on.  I certainly envy those that have never experienced target panic. Maybe you are one.

Offline UrbanArcher1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 12:57:00 AM »
How long do you guys hold? I draw and fire, maybe holding for a split second. That's how I've always shot... Kinda getting my site picture as I draw. Idk how to explain it.
Bear Montana 55#

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 04:37:00 PM »
I am with Terry. If I draw slower, or just hold and aim longer, I will shoot better.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline Draven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by nhbuck1:
Hey guys im having a hard time holding anchor at further ranges, i feel like i have to rush the shot more at longer ranges, any idea how to fix this or whats going on?
kyle
You take control, your adrenaline kicks in - since longer ranges are the shots you are not used to - and all crumbles into an too early arrow release.
I have just one single fix for this:
Don't shoot 10-15-25-35-40-50, shoot 10-11-12-...22-23-24...40-41-42...48-49-50 ...
There is no difference between shooting at 10 yards vs 50 yards after all. But to understand this you have to get through all 50 yards, one by one. It builds confidence and you will not feel the need to take control of the shooting but just let it happen.

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 08:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave. "I have had full blown target panic several times, and know it's always looking for an opportunity to rear its ugly head again. I look at the back of the riser as I draw the bow, because I know that focusing on the spot is one thing that triggers target panic for me. I only focus on the spot after I come to full draw and do an internal form check. If my alignment is correct when I start my draw, I'm usually not that far off target when I focus on the spot, but I usually have to make some aiming adjustment at that point."

Once again, thanks McDave for your detailed response.  I read an earlier post from you about this technique.  I thought it would not work for me as I have tried it before....I thought. However, today at the range I gave your technique a try again. Wow!  For some reason your method really worked for me today. Focusing on the back of the riser while checking on my form and relaxation before focusing on the spot reminds me of the advantage that rifle and compound shooters have.  They are able to keep their finger off the trigger while essentially approaching the shot sequence the same way, i.e. only placing their finger on the trigger once they are ready to execute the shot.

I just returned from a Wyoming antelope hunt where my adrenaline induced premature shot went high as my fingers released before I had completed my shot sequence.  I never had another opportunity and came home empty.  Needless to say I have been worried about this repeating itself as I am about to depart for a Montana elk hunt.

Thanks to your post, I am more confident that I can control the adrenaline and shot sequence should I get the chance in Montana.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©