Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: string hand question  (Read 1155 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
string hand question
« on: August 19, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
ok so i have a problem when i start drawing my bow back my wrist breaks inwards and my fingers go outwards and its causing string torque, am i allowing to mych pressure on the string with my fingers? can someone please help, my release is the problem in my shooting because of this
aim small miss small

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: string hand question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
If you relax your string hand except for the fingers that are holding the string, it is impossible for your wrists to break in and your fingers to go out.  A relaxed string hand pulls in line with the force of the string, and doesn't torque or cup.  The feeling you should get as you start to draw the bow is that the pulling force is the muscle behind your shoulder blade, and your forearm is just a linked chain connecting your elbow and your string fingers.

My feeling, and I have the impression that Arne may be feeling the same way, is that you may be overthinking things at this point in your archery progress.  Learning traditional archery involves shooting a lot of arrows, and letting your body learn things experientially, non-verbally, based on what feels right and what feels wrong.

It has to be a balance.  Some people go too far in the other direction, and never ask questions or take lessons that could speed their progress.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 09:10:00 PM »
Check out moebow's post on you tube. He has several there, but there are some dealing specifically with your string hand and keeping it relaxed. If you hand is relaxed, it has to stay straight in line with your string arm.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 09:14:00 PM »
Watching one of Moebow's videos helped me with this. I have to start with consciously making my wrist break OUTWARDS and let the weight of the bow straighten it during the draw. This also helps to turn the arrow into the bow, so I didn't have much worry about the arrow falling off of the shelf any more. Hope this helps.

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 09:36:00 PM »
Draw with your back, not your arm, and keep your forearm and wrist straight and aligned with the arrow. Try turning just your upper body to facing the target and start your draw using your upper body and continuing with your back muscles until you reach full draw and proper alignment. Your arm, wrist and hand is just a handle and hook. Don't know how you can put too much pressure on the fingers as obviously the weight of the bow will be on them but how you distribute the pressure will make a difference on how clean your release is. Check out some videos on basic form. I would recommend Jeff Kavanagh and there are others recommended on here as well.  Practice your form at close range (5yds) without aiming at a target until it becomes automatic. You can't concentrate on form and aiming at the same time. It will take lots of shots and you will know when you got it together.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
Yes, wrist out does SO many GOOD things!!!  opens the tendons for a clean easy release, increases your strength as it puts the wrist and hand in the  strongest position, and puts the elbow behind the arrow.

The only way to get the hand to move out is to put too much tension into the forearm, and it is usually done when the shooter tries to keep the arrow in line with the target.

Wrist OUT!!

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 09:54:00 PM »
i like the wrist out idea really well but it feels strange should it? also can you do this with a cant?
aim small miss small

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 09:57:00 PM »
thank you for all the help guys, this tends to really be a problem for me and sometimes dont catch it until the day is almost over
aim small miss small

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
Kyle,  All things that are different feel strange at first. Stick with it!  Yes, it can be done with a cant; the motion is an out to in drawing movement.  Check the videos.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 03:35:00 PM »
is there any exercises i cn do to remember to relax y string hand? amazing how good you can shoot with a relaxed hand not one bad arrow today thanks for the help guys but if anyone know any exercises or routines before the shot that would be great help, thanks again
kyle
aim small miss small

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 05:19:00 PM »
What McDave said ( as always!). I will just add once more; deep hook, in or just in front of the first joint crease. Helps straighten the back of your hand, and your wrist.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©