Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Form video, need advice.  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
Form video, need advice.
« on: August 28, 2016, 10:12:00 PM »
Been working on some of the advice I got and changed a bit up.  How can I improve?

Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Form video, need advice.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 10:17:00 PM »
i would slow down a little to get your back tension back arm could be back a tad more slow down and you fill find it better but not bad buddy
aim small miss small

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 11:19:00 PM »
Yeah it felt like I was holding a while in my head, this is after a long roving session so im just shooting not trying to overly concentrate.

im asking because i am sometimes getting a stiff neck on my string arm side
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
have you tried this? how has your shooting been? i have just realized i was collapsing my chest instead of maintaining good posture so i am now and what  a difference it has made the deer better watch out in 14 days.
aim small miss small

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 08:39:00 AM »
Follow through. Follow through. Trajectory feedback is very important to increasing accuracy and you can't watch your arrow if you don't follow through.

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 06:10:00 PM »
You seem to have an excess of arrow hanging out there but some folks prefer that. The obvious thing you are twisting and grabbing the bow at release. Grabbing is a no no. Curl your fingers around the bow just enough it don't jump out of your hand. Don't move any thing,follow through at release. I don't see all the finer points on video. You need Mowbow or some other instructor to view your videos. nhbuck1 you must be getting better. You are usually asking advise rather than giving it. good luck Ken

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
You are getting the stiff neck largely because you are shrugging your string arm shoulder up as you draw, bow shoulder is shrugged up a little too.  You are doing what I call an "uphill" draw. Watch your string arm elbow as you draw.  See how it moves in an upward direction?  that is putting the bow weight on the top of your shoulders and your neck muscles rather than lower down on the back of the shoulder and across the back (trapezious and rhomboids).

Try lifting you hands together before you start to draw, relax and drop your shoulders down to where they stop and relax. Then move that elbow slightly downward as you draw and see how it engages the back more and takes strain off the neck muscles.

Actually a pretty good looking shot, but with a really good shot, you won't get a neck muscle pinch/strain.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 08:05:00 PM »
Arne,I have watched all your videos. I read your critiques then go back and try to see what you explain. The first time I watched this one there were three different angles. One used a bow quiver,one a back quiver,and one picked up arrows off the ground. After reading your post and going back there was only the one with the bow quiver. Now I am wondering if I am even seeing the right video???? Thoughts.     Thanks.  Ken

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 08:21:00 PM »
Ken,
My videos have no bow quiver or back quiver.  All arrows are taken from a ground quiver at my local club.  Look here.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=arne+moe

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »
Arne can give you everything you need about your form, but I gotta say.... I've never seen anyone load arrows that way.    :^)

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 08:44:00 PM »
Arne,sorry I didn't make that clear. I meant in the video of the one you were critiquing,in this thread. You said he was shrugging his shoulders. I see that. The first time on you tube there were 3 positions. I read your post and went back to review and there was just one. Is the one there now the correct one for your critique. I hate to think I am trying to learn and some how because of a computer glitch I am not even seeing the correct example. No, I have never seen a quiver in your training videos. Thanks for the responce.Ken

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »
I see what you are talking about Ken.  I only saw the first one with the bow quiver.  Now that I see the other two you mention, Long is stopping rather short of full draw.  See the string elbow and how far out is is in the overhead?  I agree Jim, very unique way of nocking an arrow.

I also see that Longtoke hasn't revisited this post for a week (or at least posted on it).  I find it interesting how many times someone posts for info or help and then never returns to the post.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 11:17:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys! I thought this post had gone to back pages, It posted the video some time August after I recovered from a hand injury and was having trouble.  I am getting better about getting my elbow tucked back all the way and I am really happy with my accuracy when I manage to do that.

Some of the videos are older from when I first asked for advice, so not sure what order you guys are watching them in.

I still struggle with the stiff neck neck on my right side from time to time.  I will try the advice about relaxing my shoulders and practice it for a bit then make a new video to show how things are changing.

Sorry to leave this thread for so long, I just didn't know it was active again...

as far as loading the arrows go... I can only blame myself, I am still trying to wring out all the weird stuff from teaching myself with no guidance before I found this awesome site.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 11:46:00 PM »
Thanks Arne, I usually always see what you see after you point it out. :^) The first time I saw all 3 but when I went back only saw one. Just wanted to make sure I was seeing the right video.    Ken

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »
I am amazed what a big difference this made, It sounded confusing but it really was as simple as letting my shoulders down, I guess somehow I had incorporated raising my shoulders up into my draw stroke.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©