Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: The miracle of 3 under, my experience (rant)  (Read 2316 times)

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
The miracle of 3 under, my experience (rant)
« on: September 11, 2016, 02:49:00 PM »
So I've complained about "bow forgiveness" recently and was looking into getting a long bow.

I felt like I really wanted to make a push to take my shooting to the next level and become overall more accurate and thus confident in my abilities out in the field hunting and out target shooting.

I decided to give 3 under a try remembering how tight my groups were within 20 yards and I can not believe how well I am shooting with 3 under.

My finger pain has nearly gone away shooting 3 under and my groups have tightened up considerably!

At 40 yards I managed a few groups that were about 4 inchs so at longer distances there's no comprise for me and this is with using 10gpp arrows and 4" feathers (40# samick sage).

Also my bareshafts are actually showing nock low but for kicks I nocked about 1/8" of an inch or so above my nocking point and my bareshafts are flying dead straight with no nock high nor nock low.

Shooting split finger I felt like my shooting was erratic. I felt as though it gave more finger pinch, and I overall did not feel confident in my shooting.

I also must add in that when I nocked my arrow slightly higher than the nocking point as I mentioned the bow was nearly just as quiet.

With a quick adjustment in string silencer position I'm sure I can get it just as quiet as before.

I also must say that for those suffering from finger joint pain that having all 3 fingers together pulling the string in unison and taking the pressure in unison between all 3 fingers helps SIGNIFICANTLY reduce finger pain.

How have your experiences been with 3 under vs split?

I'm going to continue to experiment between split and 3 finger but so far I really see no benefits in shooting split.

My release and arrow alignment feels much more clean and solid shooting 3 under and it seems as though bow torque was not the issue that I had but rather obtaining a very clean release shooting split finger.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The miracle of 3 under, my experience (rant)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 03:25:00 PM »
I shoot three under for many reasons.  I love it and I shoot split every once and while and just cant get back into it.  I am left eye dominant and right handed.  So getting the arrow right under my non dominate eye is a must.  Also like you said the pressure is off.  My nocking points are a little higher and I am a lot happier.  I shoot way more consistently than I ever did.  When I first started archery I was never told about three under, I assumed split was all there was and my consistency was never there.  Three under opens a whole world of things.  Personally I shoot a bow like a pistol both eyes open and I use the tip of the arrow to help aim.  "gap shooting"  I love it.  Glad you are liking it too!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
I might have to eat my words! I just shot a short field round going back to 50 yards starting at 20 yards going back in 10 yard intervals and I shot a significantly higher score split finger.

It looks like around 40 yards is my point on shooting 3 under which is why I was getting such tight groups at that distance.

However, once I go beyond 40 yards the arrow drop is too much shooting 3 under.

I'm going to keep experimenting with it but it seems like I have a form issue as I'm getting more left/right misses which led to me playing with 3 under.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »
I would like to learn 3 under. I hear it is great at most hunting ranges. Also if a 3D course is layed out per IBO rules 3 under is a great way to score.
But I like "shooting" which for me means out to 80+ yards at the field range. When it gets cooler I am going to try and set up a bow for both. I use "0" tiller as it is with split finger.

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 06:35:00 PM »
Yea I tried out 3 under and split some more and 3 under has some benefits but in my opinion split finger works best for me.

Once I'm past 40 yards the arrow drop is too much and I have to resort to aiming over the target.

Also I slapped my nose and lip quite a bit and since the arrow is so close under my eye my hold times were noticeably longer as it tended to make me second guess myself more.

Within 40 yards it is deadly accurate but so is split you just have to get used to the arrow arcing upwards within the first 40 yards.

I could not get 3 on a 8" pie plate 3 under at 50 yards but was able to without much problem shooting split.

I could go down to a lighter arrow and less fletching (say 7-8gpp and 2" feathers) to bring my point on (shooting 3 under) to 50-55 yards but honestly since I'm a hunter and target shooter I prefer a heavier more forgiving arrow and a quiet bow.

At least I gave it a shot though.

Shoot em straight.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
It seems likes you regularly shoot long distances.  Past 30 yards I shoot instinctively 3 under, but honestly most of my practices is at varying rangers of less than 25 yards.
Fred Bear

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 08:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by dahyer:
It seems likes you regularly shoot long distances.  Past 30 yards I shoot instinctively 3 under, but honestly most of my practices is at varying rangers of less than 25 yards.
This is true. I shoot at a friends backyard that extends well past 100 yards and regularly shoot out to 50 yards.

I figure it wont hurt if I ever go on an Elk or other big game hunt in the future.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 11:02:00 PM »
I do like 3 under, works for me and really helped with target panic for me as well

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 04:40:00 AM »
Being a split-finger shooter my self, I had to try 3 under. The result is somewhat better arrow-flight, but I'm hitting low. Switched back to split and concentrate on my fingers.
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 08:09:00 AM »
I grew up shooting my compound split until I got my first string release in '89. When I started Trad 100% in 2011 I started out shooting split until I read about three under. Man it really tightened up my groups and it is what I use exclusively. I would never shoot anything past 40 yards anyways, really not past 20 yards on a deer so it all works out!
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline trasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 08:44:00 AM »
I'm a split shooter, heard from buddies that they shoot much better groups with 3 under, I tried 3 under for several weeks but did't get familar with.

My groups are mutch better with splitfingers and I also didn't like the Sound when shooting my bows 3 under. Too mutch TWAANG!

But my buddies shoot better with 3under!

This is not a dogma it's just personal flavor!
Trying to get the bow a part of me!

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 10:10:00 PM »
I tried 3 under...didn't sit well with me. My son shoots that way and swears by it.
Aim small,miss small

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »
there is a reason alot of the top shooters shoot three under , just sayin
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 06:19:00 PM »
I have a bow with adjustable tiller, so I set it even (0 tiller) and began shooting 3 under. I am shooting better with it than split. I swapped out my cat whiskers for large yarn balls, and my bow is as quiet as before. I'll stay with it..
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 06:46:00 PM »
If I try shooting 3 under from 40 yards the tip of my arrow would have to be 10 feet above the bull.  What kind of an anchor point are you using?
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline trasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »
Yes,and also alot of the top shooters shoot splittfingers as well.
Trying to get the bow a part of me!

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 10:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by BAK:
If I try shooting 3 under from 40 yards the tip of my arrow would have to be 10 feet above the bull.  What kind of an anchor point are you using?
Middle finger on my lip and thumb knuckle behind my ear. My point on is a little over 40 yards.

3 under is just too finicky for me.

I tried it again a few days ago and it feels very touchy to get accurate with beyond 20 yards.

I feel like if my bow is tilted a little too high or too low the misses high and low are too drastic and it's more of a GAP method of shooting since the arrow is lined up with the eye.

With split I don't have this problem since I shoot instinctive.

Originally posted by drewsbow:
To my knowledge not all top shooters are using 3 under.

In Oly archery they all use split.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 02:21:00 PM »
In oly archery they also use sights lol.
Fred Bear

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 02:23:00 PM »
True lol, but Byron is one of the best stickbow archers in the world and he shoots split as did the past greats like Hill, Ron, Fred, and so on.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by forestdweller:
True lol, but Byron is one of the best stickbow archers in the world and he shoots split as did the past greats like Hill, Ron, Fred, and so on.
As well as olympic archers   :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©