Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Tricep/outer bicep aggravation  (Read 935 times)

Offline Noctis

• Trad Bowhunter
Tricep/outer bicep aggravation
« on: September 28, 2016, 09:38:00 AM »
This past week I pulled my tricep/outer bicep in my draw arm. The obvious answer is lack of back tension, but I've worked hard on that and feel like I'm in a good place, with a release that brings me very naturally to my second anchor. Obviously I could be giving myself too much credit in this department. I am a swing drawer with a 31" draw. I was able to somewhat alleviate the issue by starting my swing draw from mid torso, but this was not good form, because it led to elbow alignment issues. I've tried a straight draw and have the same issue. I have been working toward a slightly higher draw weight due to a new bow purchase, but have been careful not to over train. Has anyone had tricep issues before?
Wing Gull - 64" - 45#@28”
Wing Presentation - 69" - 36#@28”
Black Widow MA X - 64" - 58#@31.5”
Alibow Manchu "Yarha" - 64" - 45#@35”
Mariner Ming Moon 6 - 53” - 50#@32”
Mariner Qing Dragon 2 - 64.5" - 54#@36”

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tricep/outer bicep aggravation
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 10:00:00 AM »
Noctis,  You have 2 sets of biceps/triceps, which are you having problems with??  Bow arm or drawing arm?

I can't visualize a 180 degree bow hand rotation to save my life, kind of sounds like you are twisting the bow like an airplane propeller?

We REALLY need to see your shot(s) to help much.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Noctis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 10:37:00 AM »
Hi Arne

That was something I just experimented with to see if it would alleviate the strain. 180 is a bad explanation, but what I meant is instead of having the bow forward and simply raising my bow arm, I started with the bow in front of my waist (mid section) and swung it up from there. The only thing I can think of is that provided more push. But I decided quickly it was bad form. These are the muscles in my draw arm. They start pinging when I'm at full draw. I generally hold for 2-3 seconds. I can't take a video at the moment, unfortunately, as I need to rest my arm.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 11:32:00 AM »
Sounds like you MAY be using all arm to draw and then holding with your biceps = potentially no back.  Rest up, then video if you can.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Noctis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 11:44:00 AM »
Will do. The thing that perplexes me is even when I feel like back tension is kicking in and I'm getting that sweet reflexive snap back to my second anchor on draw shoulder, I still feel that tricep. It should be rested enough in the next few days to use my lower weight longbow.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
If you will look up Arne's video on the rotational draw, you might want to try that.  I find that it is so much easier on my shoulders, and so much easier to get proper back tension, than a straight draw or a swing draw.  It's always better if someone else toots your horn rather than tooting it yourself, and I'm happy to toot this one for him.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 07:55:00 PM »
I don't even know what back tension is but have never had bicep nor tricep problems from shooting lot's.

I'd just lay down the bow for a few day's as you could be over doing it and using a heavier bow will only compound this issue.

If anything I want everything to be as relaxed as possible and have the least amount of tension possible including the back muscles.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 10:26:00 PM »
iMO a swing draw is a terrible technique on so many levels. The rotational draw is strong and ergonomically sound, and goes a long way towards preventing shoulder injury. Made all the difference in the world for my beat up shoulders.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©