Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Long arrow gap shooting  (Read 1160 times)

Offline DKdc

• Trad Bowhunter
Long arrow gap shooting
« on: September 28, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
So I want to try gap shooting. for the guys with longdraws. I cant see the actual tip of my arrow. Is that normal? I only see the profile of the arrow where the shaft meets the point. I draw 32" maybe gap shooting isnt for me.
Thanks in advance
DK

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Long arrow gap shooting
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 06:55:00 PM »
Probably just me being dense, but I don't understand your question.  What exactly do you see when you look at the end of the arrow when it is at full draw?  Is something blocking your view of the tip of the arrow?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline DKdc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »
McDave, Its me not you. I draw my point all the way to the back of my riser. Broadheads touch my finger. I cant see the actual tip of my point when I look down the shaft. Its like looking down the barrel of a gun. I can only where my point meets the shaft but not actual tip of the point. Is that normal?

Offline DKdc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 10:58:00 AM »
I guess the arrow is really close to my eye. If I drop it down a little I may be able to see the tip of the point.
Thanks
Doug

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 03:36:00 PM »
Yes, I understand what you mean.  You have a high anchor, so you are unable to see the tip of the arrow.  If you like your high anchor, you can use the fartherest point you can see on the arrow shaft to aim with.  It should work as well as using the arrow tip.

Generally a high anchor is used when most of your shots are at close ranges.  If you want to shoot at further ranges, you might want to lower your anchor.  The extreme would be anchoring under the chin, which might be useful if you plan to shoot at ranges from 60-100 yards, but is not as useful when shooting a trad bow without sights at 15-20 yards.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 05:40:00 PM »
Most of us who gap shoot don't see the actual tip of the arrow but see the radius of the shaft and gap off of that. Quite normal.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 11:15:00 AM »
Not a problem and IMHO likely an advantage.  If you can "ingrain" your gaps based on the end of the arrow as opposed to the true "tip", you'll be less apt to vary the gap when going from field points to broad heads that are longer and may differ in blade orientation across arrows.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline DKdc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 04:44:00 PM »
OK thanks for all the great advise. Right now I am shooting 53# at 32" and my point right under the yogurt lid is right at 20yards. So guessing my point in is around 25.

Next question. I shoot black carbon shafts. Its tuff to pick out the arrow in low light conditions. Can I spray paint the top six inches white. Or is there a better way?

Thanks for the help guys. I am just starting to get into it and I think it will work for me. I called in a six point bull this fall to about 12 yards and misssed him. I didnt pick a spot. I think gaping or shooting split vision will make me pick a spot in the heat of the moment. I dont know what happened with that bull. The last two elk I killed I did everything right. I guess I am just looking for a method that will take more of the variables out.

Thanks again,
DK

Offline Draven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 05:49:00 PM »
If I am remembering correct, in "The Push", the guy was using white tape on the arrow, right under the point. You may try it if you are gap shooter. Easier than painting the arrow and less time consuming.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 07:18:00 PM »
The tape is a good idea. I am shooting GT blems which are light wood color and they stand out better than the black carbons, especially in low light.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline DKdc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 12:30:00 AM »
Ok tape it is. Thanks guys!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©