3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: the sun sets on another Mass. Bow season...  (Read 388 times)

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
the sun sets on another Mass. Bow season...
« on: November 24, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
well I climbed down in the the dark, the moon a large orb barely glowing through the cloud cover.    Impossible to tell whether the 20 degree temperature or the coyote howls from down the hollow where the cause of my shivering.  the sun has set on another successful Mass bow season.  

I say successful in that I saw a grand total of TWO deer in the entire six week season. One was a doe that is safely vacuum packed in the freezer from back on October 26.  the other, a small fork horn I rattled in this evening and threw the hypothetical book at, but just couldn't get him to stop in either one of the two shooting lanes cut through the brush.

but at least I saw him, I would have been a bit melancholy had I ended the entire season have shot the ONLY deer I had seen.   I did hunt quite a bit in Connecticut this year and I will still go down  a few more times, but starting Monday the orange army hits the woods up here in Massachusetts, and I'm just about out of vacation days.  Yes, I will probably don the florescent vest and hat, recurve in hand, during the 2 week shotgun season then three week muzzleloader season, but its just not the same.

Two deer in six weeks is a tough go of it, even by Massachusetts standards (heck I missed more than that last year  :)  ).  I'm starting now to plan a week-long trip somewhere 'in the deer belt' for next fall.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: the sun sets on another Mass. Bow season...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
Dang Marc there is no way I'd live in a place where you only see 2 deer a season. You come to Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, or Missouri and you should see more deer than that in a week.(more likly more than that per day)
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
Marc, I feel your pain......I've seen 10 the entire NH season,(with five of those sightings being of the same buck), I've hunted 35 times so far.......not one shot opportunity.  Good thing it's not all about the killing huh?

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »
yah ferret...that and invitation?   :)
worse thing is My wife has family in OH but none of them hunt, so I can't just 'pop by' for a visit.  though one of her cousins just moved to texas ans I think has some land so maybe I can weasel in down there.  

hear yah david.  Weird thing is not an hour+ south in ct I've seen 5 times my MA total in one day.  go figure.

one of the saddest things about this season is I hunted nearly all of it alone. from september 15th til october 16 down in CT by myself, and then when MA started my brother only came out twice, and a buddy happened to pick that one day I shot the doe to come with me.  I almost love the camaraderie more than anything else...but I guess this year I really was a lone wolf in my lone wolf  :)

one of these weekends I'll hopefully hook up with Jeremy down in CT to do a small 'trad gang east' hunt  :)

Offline carbonarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 07:15:00 AM »
Every one dreams of Kansas, but there are a lot of good deer states.
MT 11:28
Come to me all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.

Offline leon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 07:32:00 AM »
We still have a few more to go in NH.I havent seen that many this year.Lot of moose.
61# Acadian Woods Classic

58# Saxon American

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 08:14:00 AM »
Hickstick, I am in the same boat as you. (northern MA)
October was practically summer weather, etc.
I plan on staying with my bow, and have a stamp to let me hunt bow, right through the end of December, so I am far from done.
Good luck!

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
Thier right move we seen over 25 this morning.OHIO
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
Yah...I'm sure I'll be out a few more times up hear through the end of the year.  but I think I'll focus on CT from the most part.   just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to hunt were their arent deer.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
well...might have had an exciting close to the 2008 season (might because it doesn't officially close until the 31st, I just don't know when I'm gonna get out again).   so here goes

was late this am cause our coffee maker decided to erupt like a volcano instead of neatly depositing the coffee in the carafe. took me an extra 10 minutes to clean up the spilled coffee and reload.    drove into farm about 6:30 and strapped the lone wolf climber to my back. trudged down into the 'hole' towards the tree off the saddle hill I had used earlier in the season.  had gotten 3/4 of the way there when I realized there was not a single track in the snow going through the 'hole'.   I  back tracked to the truck and decided to check out the drainage ditch by the houses.  sure enough just on the other side of the drainage was a 2 foot wide run that looked like they'd run a snow blower through.  I looked for a good climber-tree and there weren't any close enough to the run for a decent shot.   just about 20 yards off the run is a large oak, that my hunting bud mark had hung a stand in the previous year and left there, however, it faces away from the run.  I quickly decided to climb up into it, leaving the lone wolf at the base of the tree.

it took quite a while to cool off from the sweat I'd worked up trudging through the snow, but once I did I donned my hunters orange knit hat (even though hunting with a bow, MA requires hunters orange from the close of bow season, throught both gun seasons).   settled in and tried to figure out which direction they'd come from and where I could possibly shoot around this tree that forked into about 5 different trunks.  at about 8 am I heard crunching from the west, and I was facing east.  Turned to see a doe coming up the run from the houses about 80 yards off, I stood and lifted the bow from the hook...then caught sight of another deer.  A buck was following her, and from what I could see at the distance a pretty good one at that.  then motion to the bucks right caught my eye...2 more deer.   here they come up the run, doe in the lead, a spike and a yearling, then the buck. I started to get ready to turn to my left and setup for a shot once they passed behind the tree, when the doe suddenly locks up, nose to the snow.  I realized pretty quickly that she was standing adjacent to the path I chose to approach the tree....darn, she caught my scent.  she did the head bob thing for a few minutes while the other three froze.  she finally relaxed and veered off the run toward the drainage, but by this time the buck, a nice 20+ inch wide 8 point had locked on to me in the tree and stood there stomping from 60 yards away.  the little ones stayed on the run and the yearling -which turned out to be a button buck- actually continued on up the run a bit, but I would have had to spin about 200 degrees to get a shot with 6 eyes on me the whole time.  the spike -which turned out to have small forks on each spike- started to follow the doe.  this would have given me a broadside at about 22 yards.  I got set and started to draw but the doe bagged me and took off in the direction that she came from taking the two little ones with her....the buck waited till they passed and then started to follow.  I snort wheezed in desperation, and he stopped looked back for a minute...then continued on after the others.  

that was my best encounter this year and quadrupled my season total for deer sightings in MA.  in total it lasted about 25 minutes (give or take), leaving me  cursing and grinning in the tree at 8:30.  sat back, had a cup of  java, climbed down and followed the run up i the direction they would have headed had they not bagged me.  lead right up to the apple tree I had the trail cam in earlier in the fall, where I had gotten pics of a bunch of deer.  the snow under the apple tree was completely trampled, where they'ed bedded and dug up apples frozen under the snow.

if I had to guess, I think this might be the buck from 2 years ago...rack wider and bigger but not really tall tines:

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
I hope you can get out again before the close of the season.

Win, lose, or draw, its all good. (all but the overflowing coffee pot)

Best of luck, and Happy New Year.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the stories. Us guys in the northeast should start a support group.   :)
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
yah vter...how many guys could say they hunted 3 times a week for 2.5 months and saw a grand total of 6 deer in the woods???

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
Short on season and long on dreaming. At least I've seen a bunch of deer this year and the freezer is in good shape.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
yah david....I was hoping for 'one more' to top off the freezer but beggars cant be choosers.  I was happy with just seeing deer!

I think this was the first time I can honestly say  DURING the whole encounter a voice was in my head saying 'even if you don't get a shot, this was pretty darn cool!'

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
I seem to remember more no shot encounters than shot encounters over the years. When I shoot my brain kind of shuts off for the shot. When I have close encounters that mostly get the blood flowing seems I remember the details better. I love getting the shot, but don't mind the excitement of a close encounter either.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
i know how ya feel hick, i live in clarksbug and all season i saw a total of 5 deer, and 3 of them were 300 yds away, so i dont really even count them!!  :(  
the funny thing is that i also hunt new york, and i shot 3 over there, so its not like im completely clueless.  :knothead:    :(  

this state is so consumed by getting 5 dollars from everyone so that they can shoot a doe, that they dont care what happens to the deer heard!  :help:  

by the way hick, where you at in mass? we must not be to far away from eachother..
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
Thanks everyone! My wife is from Cape Cod and I will be damned before I leave Colorado for the Northeast. Everytime I go back to Mass, I thank God that I live here in Colorado. No Offense, I love the beaches but where are the deer? T
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »
Hey Hick. good to see ya. I wont tell you that I have a half dozen or so deer in bow range most days we hunt, never mind how many we see...that would be insensitive.  :)

If you want some company to hunt with just drop by, or you might want to fly!

cheers from the North!
...gosh this is hard.

Hailey (5) 3 minutes into a pilates workout

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
It's been dismal in MA for me too.  Not that it makes me feel better, but guys I know are reporting the exact thing in my area. (northern MA)
That's an interesting comment about the $5 doe permits going out, as in my zone, 100% of all that apply, get one.

I thought with last year's light winter, we'd be seeing them all over.  I know six guys reporting the same thing, and these are guys that have taken off at least a solid week, and spent it in the woods, and didn't see one deer.

I plan on finishing out the year by hunting, and then start scouting immediately.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©