Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Changes I've made that have worked.  (Read 730 times)

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Changes I've made that have worked.
« on: November 13, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »
First off--nothing that I am saying below is new--much of what I've applied I have learned from the gracious folks on this forum.  I thought it might help someone starting out so here goes.
I am left eye dominant with little sight in my right eye.  I took an archery course in college and I am sure I was the worst student the teacher ever had---trying to shoot right handed did not work for me.  Later on in life I discovered I could shoot wheels left handed with a release.  Still later I committed to learning to shoot a longbow lefthanded. Things that have really helped me:
Check out the form clock and videos on form on Youtube.

I had no idea what form was as my first bow was 50#.  Only after getting my 42# pound Toelke Whip was I able to get back to a solid anchor and use back tension with everything in line.

Tune your arrows---I bareshaft--obsessively and keep one unfletched as a means to check your form or see if anything has changed.

I recently made the following changes that have really helped.

I changed from split to 3 under and from a 496gr arrow to a 412 grain arrow--this gave me a very flat tragectory with a high of 7" at 20yds and a low of 3" at 30 yds.  I now aim/gap whatever you call it---don't know why I resisted this for so long---I now have control over the shot.  Split was not working for me--this change was huge for me.

After talking with a friend that took a shooting clinic I refletched my arrows so that I now touch a feather to my nose as a means of locating my head in the exact same spot each time---prior to that I was the biggest bobble head out there.
Finally after struggling with right misses (left handed shooter) I focused on tilting my head further over the arrow and the shots came right on target.

What I've found is that this was all something that I had to work out for myself, but again was aided by the help and information on TG.  Everyone is different---find out what works for you.
I'm sure that college prof would never buy it that this is now how I spend most of my free time as I'm sure she wrote me off a the kid that would never pick up a bow again.

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Changes I've made that have worked.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
Good deal

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Changes I've made that have worked.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 10:09:00 PM »
This always works to make you shoot better, you sometimes have to do it yourself..

What I've found is that this was all something that I had to work out for myself
Odds are with the prepared..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©