Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Broad head tuning  (Read 1685 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
Broad head tuning
« on: November 19, 2016, 11:31:00 PM »
How do you guys tune broad heads? If I bareshaft tune and my field points fly great can I expect my broadheads to fly reasonably the same or close?
aim small miss small

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broad head tuning
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 06:23:00 AM »
IME, yes.

If my bare shafts and fletched shafts hit the same place, my broadheads are usually good.

But...broadheads may show mistakes more than field points.

I always check "tune" by shooting broadheads but I tune with bare shafts to minimize the number of broadheads I need to shoot.

Broadheads destroy expensive targets in short order.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 07:30:00 AM »
Probably close, maybe the same. Might need to tweak just a little (I do it with point weight when necessary).

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 11:46:00 AM »
Seems my broad heads impact higher then my field points, any clue why?
aim small miss small

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 11:52:00 AM »
How do your bare shafts impact?

If the broadheads impact higher it might mean that your nock pont is low.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 11:53:00 AM »
Bareshafts fly great, my nock point is at 5\\8 and I shoot split
aim small miss small

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 04:29:00 AM »
Do the bare shafts impact the same point as fletched?

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »
i believe so, i shoot instinctive so i dont aim, i dont know how else to do this when i shoot instinctive
aim small miss small

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
anyone?
aim small miss small

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 11:51:00 PM »
Shoot a couple broadheads into the target then shoot some field points and see how they group. I also think the wind is a good tool to check if your set up is truly well tuned. Shoot in the to the wind in all different angles and cross winds and watch for funky stuff to happen.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 05:59:00 AM »
I primarily go by impact point...the location of a number of shots (a group).

I don't necessarily trust the way the arrow sits in the target or my ability to see anything beyond gross defects in flight.

The larger your "groups" the more course your tune may be, or at least" it might require a lot more shots to gain the same level of confidence in your tune.

How you go about directing your arrow to the intended impact point probably doesn't matter except that the better you are at it, the easier and quicker it is to tune.

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 06:06:00 AM »
I wouldn't get too preoccupied with tuning before I could hit my "spot" with a reasonable degree of certainty.

Get set up with some that should be close and shoot. As your shooting gets tighter, refine your tune.

Shooting errors will have a much greater effect on arrow flight than minor differences in hardware (arrow spine or whatever).

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 10:36:00 AM »
i thought you want to tune your bareshafts based on how they fly in the air also? nock right or nock left, find one that flys straight?
aim small miss small

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 10:36:00 AM »
i thought you want to tune your bareshafts based on how they fly in the air also? nock right or nock left, find one that flys straight?
aim small miss small

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 11:49:00 AM »
I guess that could work...if...you can see well enough.

I can't and I can't do a very good job of shoot when I'm trying to closely watch the arrow fly.

A poor flying bare shaft is probably also going to hit the wrong spot. A statistically significant number of impacts (bare vs fletched) should tell you what you need to know.

The reason that I recommend not getting too preoccupied with tuning too early is that how you shoot has a GREAT effect on how your arrows fly.

Lets say that your making some shooting error and your bare shafts are flying stiff. Now you tune for that.

Then you correct the shooting error and your bare shafts fly weak.

I actually had that exact thing happen except I strongly suspected that my problem was my shooting so I left the arrows alone and worked on "tuning" my shooting.

The thing is that you're not just tuning the arrow to the bow. You're tuning the bow/arrow combination to how you shoot.

That's exactly what you want to do as long as you're going to continue shooting the same way.

I don't think of "tuning" as a one time event. It's an ongoing process.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
so tune the bow on how you shoot and what the arrow flight tells you your saying? you can see a big difference in flight when its way nock left vs  a bareshaft flying like a dart or somewhat close, what abut paper tuning? is this more accuarate then bareshaft? i just want my broadheads the fly and hit the same spot every time
aim small miss small

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 07:47:00 AM »
You need to have near perfect form, or a mechanical release, to have bare shafts perfect in the air. Point of impact is all you need to worry about.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
so how do i get point of impact correct? this is all confusing, i have bareshafts that fly straight with my setup now? so are you saying im just using it towards correcting my form?
aim small miss small

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 05:51:00 PM »
No, what I'm saying is that without feathers arrows will fly tail left,tail right, nock high or low depending on how good or bad your release is, BUT, the point of impact will be fairly consistent. It will be left of fletched shafts if they are too stiff, right of fletched shafts if they are weak. For a right handed shooter, opposite for a lefty. Check out ACS website for info on bareshaft tuning.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »
I paper tune with matching weight field points and then shoot broadheads and field points together. Most times they will both shoot together and I'm good to go.  If not, I'll either go back to the paper or adjust brace, nock point, side plate or spine until they shoot together.

On a good release, no wind day, I can tune to a 3 lb spine range.  Tuned to a no tear paper tune, I have never had broadheads of matching weight that did not shoot perfectly.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©