Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shoot better in the field than on target?  (Read 3956 times)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Shoot better in the field than on target?
« on: December 27, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »
I have heard it said on occasion and never thought it made any difference but lately I've been re thinking it.  The reason being that I've been noticing that I'm far more "on" in the woods on birds, squirrels and bunnies than on targets.

It really stood out when I shot an nfaa indoor single bull.  It was a struggle to keep three arrows in 8 inches at 20 yards.  At the same distance I'm heck on pine cones and Stumps and am pretty hard on bunnies and even our very small pine squirrels.

My own thoughts are that field shots just don't involve as much thinking as paper.

BTW, this isn't me trying to explain rotten scores on targets.  In fact that NFA target was the first I've shot in over twenty years.  Don't shoot 3D or other competitions either.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoot better in the field than on target?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 02:49:00 PM »
Yep. That's me too. I'm rather introverted and much prefer to shoot by myself or with close family. I am not at all competitive, other than with myself.

I've taken everything from chipmunks to elk. No problem shooting stump/leaf/grass clump/golf balls and bottle caps but paper targets are not my thing.

I don't understand it other than I don't enjoy shooting at a stationary, piece of paper with rings on it. I prefer hunting.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 03:11:00 PM »
I think my problem is in the paper giving the time to over think the shot.  I enjoy competitions but only shoot them with ML.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 03:14:00 PM »
Probably you need to practice holding and AIMING on spots. It's a different ball game.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 03:15:00 PM »
I shoot terrible on paper... 3D, animals, and stumping much better

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 03:17:00 PM »
That's me as well....paper targets, 3-d targets..etc. I just dont shoot very well on them. But in a hunting scenario I do just fine.

My practice sessions consist of shooting dandelions, dirt clods..etc around the house. That's what works best for me.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »
In my humble opinion if you shoot true instinctive it is all the same no matter what you are shooting at. I hope you understand I'm in no way saying I am an expert or that I know it all, but I have been shooting instinctive since 1968 and it doesn't make any difference what I am shooting at. Concentrating on the spot and consistent form is what counts. If I can do that with each and every shot the arrow goes where I look no matter the target. Problem is I can't do it with each and every shot especially the older I get.

And I do think you can over think things and/or try too hard.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 04:35:00 PM »
I was a  competitive indoor compound guy for years, my problem with paper is I get complacent I stop focusing on my shot sequence and really picking a spot I still shoot paper now and then but try to break it up with stumping
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 04:51:00 PM »
Monterey ole boy.

It's called old age. Yer bow and arrahs are getting old...............    :)

I shoot better at 3D targets and stumping than paper bulls eyes. Something about a bulls eye that messes me up.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 04:55:00 PM »
I think that, once we get past the adrenaline rush, concentration is more intense in the woods.
Sam

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
I used to be alright on targets and really gave the squirrels a hard time but now I'm not much good at either.  I think it's just old age and having to drop bow weight.  Your poor shooting on an indoor target may be from fatigue and you probably don't take sixty shots in the woods so your accuracy is better.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 05:04:00 PM »
Happens to me too... Call it "over thinking" or "breaking down the shot" when it should just flow smooth... Part of being human, I guess...  :archer2:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 05:07:00 PM »
Yep , don't think , just shoot .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 05:17:00 PM »
I think nearly everyone that shoots a subconscious method (split vision or instinctive) all shoot in the field or rather, targets that stand out where you can pick a point much better than paper.

The reason for this is because it's very very difficult to pick out a spot on a large piece of colored paper.

However, if we took a golf ball or tennis ball and placed it on the center of that same paper target I guarantee you that your score would shoot right up.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 11:17:00 PM »
Hmmmmm.  I dunno.  I love stump shooting, and think I do pretty well, but, if truth be told, if there were scoring rings around our targets in the field, I think we'd find we score there just about the same as we do on paper.  

For me stump shooting is a lot more fun.  I think I might forget those shots that are close, but not quite there.  Can't do that with paper.  It records the close misses. Or, put another way, the mind tends to remember the good shots, the poorer shots, not so much.  I think that happens to me when stump shooting.  When I shoot at paper, no way to deceive myself. YMMV.

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 12:03:00 AM »
I don't shoot very goot at the big olympic style bull.  I shoot way better tossing arrows at a stray leaf, or can, or pinecone. I do most my practice from stump style shooting.  Plus its way more fun than standing in front of a stack of hay bales.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
Might be an issue with shot sequence. The stronger your mental game/shot sequence, the better you can shoot in new situations under different levels of stress. Joel Turner's section from MBB vol. 4 really helped me. Helped on paper, foam, and most importantly- in the woods.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 10:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by Straitshot:
In my humble opinion if you shoot true instinctive it is all the same no matter what you are shooting at. I hope you understand I'm in no way saying I am an expert or that I know it all, but I have been shooting instinctive since 1968 and it doesn't make any difference what I am shooting at. Concentrating on the spot and consistent form is what counts. If I can do that with each and every shot the arrow goes where I look no matter the target. Problem is I can't do it with each and every shot especially the older I get.

And I do think you can over think things and/or try too hard.
Great answer...but I would like to add my 2 cents onto what he said...

I TRULY DO believe that flat-non 3D AKA 'boring' targets CAN have a psycho blase effect on concentration or down right even caring at times.  For some of us that flat backed target is so 'non hunting' we just don't perform as well at times on that target media.

Some of use have to work on it to stay focus and keep it a challenge.

I know of one hunter, as will 99% of you would know him if I mentioned his name, who shoots TOTALLY instinctive and he will outright admit he SUCKS on targets.  This guy sure is hell in the field though!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
I had a friend who couldn't put 3 arrows in a 3 foot circle at 20 yds. with his longbow...ever but made a perfect kill on every critter he shot at.  I guess it just works that way with some people.

Offline JR Chambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »
Ok, I guess I will be the oddball. I don't go for it. I think you are about the same on paper and 3D as you are on real animals.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©