Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: The paint can thing really works  (Read 1292 times)

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
The paint can thing really works
« on: January 10, 2017, 07:42:00 AM »
I've read it so many times that you should hold your bow string like you would a paint bucket handle. I've been trying to do it and when I do, my follow through upon release feels so natural and I shoot so much better.
Now, if I could only do it every time..........

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The paint can thing really works
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 01:28:00 PM »
Any time you get to the point you can do something the same way every time, you're usually the winner   :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 03:54:00 PM »
Is the paint bucket used only to learn to hold the string, or is it also used to teach proper release?  I suspect it is used only to learn proper holding, but I'm not sure about releasing, so I thought I'd ask.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 04:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
Is the paint bucket used only to learn to hold the string, or is it also used to teach proper release?  I suspect it is used only to learn proper holding, but I'm not sure about releasing, so I thought I'd ask.
Jimmy Blackmon recently did a video on this but I think he used rubber tubing instead of the paint can but the principle was the same. He clamped it to the floor with his foot and drew it vertically and released it. It was to demonstrate what the release should look like when you just relax the fingers.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 10:55:00 AM »
I believe one affects the other. If I hold the string this way, relaxing the back of the hand, I get a better release

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 11:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by bear bowman:
I believe one affects the other. If I hold the string this way, relaxing the back of the hand, I get a better release
What I meant was, do you practice releasing the paint can, or just hold it and then put it down?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »
McDave,  Instead of a paint can, use a standard galvanized bucket.  Fill to 3/4 full with water and do the release.  If you stay dry, you have a good release, if you are wet, your release is "all wet."     :D  

Part of the idea is that you can learn the FEEL of a totally relaxed string arm from hook to shoulder and how it helps the release.  Then transfer that feeling to a drawn bow.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©