3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Out Foxed the Fox Tonight - Foxy Lady!  (Read 360 times)

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Out Foxed the Fox Tonight - Foxy Lady!
« on: November 24, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
The Lord is my Shepherd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Out Foxed the Fox Tonight - Foxy Lady!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »
The Lord is my Shepherd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
Powered by Snuffer!

The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Flatstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
That's some dang good shoot'n on such a small target! Bet he didn't go far? Congrats!!
"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
Congrats!  :thumbsup:  
What a great trophy!!

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »
u sure u didnt shoot it with a 45.!?!?!?

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 05:07:00 AM »
way to go Mike!!!!! now tell us the story!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline buckeye55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 05:16:00 AM »
great shot. will make a great mount
i was trad before trad was cool

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 06:29:00 AM »
Congrats Mike!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 06:36:00 AM »
Thanks everyone for sharing in my happiness!

The story goes...

Some of you who know me well realize that it has been a terrible year for me on a personal note.  I had all but lost interest in hunting when my brother in law dragged me out a few weeks ago and gradually the joy I once knew began to drip back...drip by drip.  I had three easy shots a doe the past few weeks when I did get out and missed them all.  I was feeling pretty low and that I should hang up the trad bow.  However, my brother in law kept telling me it what was going on in my life outside of hunting that had me off my game.  He may have been right...things have been getting better for me lately and perhaps the fox harvest last night proves his point.  Enough of my drama...I'll get to the story now.  However, I thank Ken and Mr. Vic and others who have supported me as friends.  Here goes...really this time.... }---->
The Lord is my Shepherd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 06:41:00 AM »
I climbed into my ladder stand on a small parcel of land that could best be described as country on the outskirts of suburbs.  Used to be farming country until the houses began being built.  Now I think I'll just call it "country".  Anyway, it was about 2:00 P.M. when I assended up the ladder and snapped in for the night.  I love sunshine and it was a beautifully sunny Pennsylvania night which is unusual for this time of year.  Temp. was warmer than usual...about 45 degrees I guess.  It was the first time I remember hunting this year when it was actually quiet...the wind has been hissing the few times I have been out this year.  The quiet was real nice.
The Lord is my Shepherd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 06:48:00 AM »
Either sex archery ended about two weeks ago and I was hunting in an extended doe zone so you can figure what kind of deer I saw tonight   ;)  .  Monday begins the gun season which for doe in my area goes all the way until January 31st.  

About 4:00 I notice a decent six to eight point buck walking across a small ridge.  I figured I would have fun with a deer call I threw in my bag so I hit him with a doe bleat, buck grunt, fawn bleat, and he could care less.  He seemed kind of out of it and I could relate   :banghead:  .  It was very enjoyable to watch him for about five minutes meander through the forest.  I was sure that Monday would be his last day when the guns come out.  This buck had the brightest rack I have ever seen on a deer.  In fact...when he was about 150 yards away I couldn't see the deer anymore but I could see the rack glowing...he will be a marked dude on Monday for sure.

Hey...this is supposed to be about the fox...sorry...got distracted in the memory of the buck.  Alright...fox up next.
The Lord is my Shepherd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 06:52:00 AM »
The squirrels were going bonkers tonight.  They usually bark but tonight they were going crazy so I figured something was up.  About quitting time for deer the fox appeared about thirty yards away coming from the direction of all the squirrel noise.  I had no shot so I licked my lips, but them to my hand and began to do my best immitation of a rodent squeal.  At first the fox began to head away from me for about five yards then it locked onto my noise, did a small loop, and came in with purpose and determination.  I squealed a few more times just to keep him coming to the right spot.  At ten yards he was still coming and was in a good shooting lane so I squeaked again and stopped him in his tracks for a nice still shot.    :eek:
The Lord is my Shepherd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 07:00:00 AM »
I drew back the Fedora 560 T/D and loaded the 600 grain arrow back to my anchor.  I never heard the arrow take off from the bow but it was obvious it did as the arrow hit the top of the spine and dropped the critter to the fall leaves.  It was pretty much paralyzed but trying its best to crawl away.  It made it about eight yards and decided it could go no further.  I decided to give it the humane dispatch and put the second arrow in the shoulder.  The fox snarled fearcly in the arrow that now had it pinned to the ground.  I watched as it bit the carbon arrow in two and then expired quickly.  It was over fast...we would be lucky to go so quickly.  When I got down from the tree I noticed a lot of blood from the first shot.  The second wasn't necessary.  It was like a lung hit deer blood trail...I was surprised.  However, then again this is the first time I have ever used a Snuffer and it sure lived up to its name   :thumbsup:  .

The fox is getting mounted laying across a piece of taxidermy rock.  I'm saving the skull and teeth.  It is a lot of money but memories like this are too few and precious in life like good friends!
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 07:05:00 AM »
Mike, Outstanding story and hunt! That's the way to come back into the groove. You accomplished the near impposible as far as I'm concerned. Ask how many hunters get to see a fox in the woods let alone call one in and wack it! Great job CONGRATS!!! Side note whenever I used to wear fox pee cover scent was when I had all my fox sightings LOL. Those Snuffers do some damage  don't they?

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »
I like it, and thanks for the summary.  A great hunt to remember.   :thumbsup:

You could even print off your story and save it with your mount.  But don't forget to post pics of the mount when its done!

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
Wow that is great. I trapped the sly dogs for a few years and can tell ya they are slick.Great shooting.Congrats.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
Mike : Nice story and Keep a positive attitude , things will get better.  Congrats :0)  Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
Congrats! A red fox is one animal I've always wanted to take.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
Awesome trophy congrats.Its been a long time since Ive seen a red up here.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©