Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting better?  (Read 954 times)

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting better?
« on: February 03, 2017, 07:10:00 AM »
I've been working on cleaning up my release and I think it's improving drastically. Now that I'm improving on my release, my arrows appear to be leaving the bow stiff. Would that make sense?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting better?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »
I would think that an improved release would result in more force applied to the arrow, and thus would tend to make a given arrow leave the bow less stiff than it would with a poor release.

So what could cause the opposite?

--If your draw length decreased at the same time you changed your release.

--if you were getting a false weak before, because the arrow was recoiling off the strike plate, and your changed release added enough force to eliminate the recoil and thus is now showing a true stiff shaft.

--You could have been rolling the string off your fingers more with the poor release, thus flipping the nock to the left.

There could be other reasons I can't think of.  Probably the best thing to do is to re-tune your arrow so it is flying true, given the changes in your form.  I've had to do this several times over the years because of form changes.  Something as simple as changing the weight distribution among the fingers on the string will affect tuning of the arrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting better?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 02:02:00 PM »
For me, a bad release (plucked) shows a stiffer reading.  Hitting my armguard does the same.  Maybe you've been slapping the string inward on your bad releases causing a falsely weaker reading.  Just a guess.  I usually shoot about 20 shots each day for a few days before I trust my bareshaft readings.  For me, the idiot pulling the bowstring is the largest problem in my shot.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©