Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: canting the bow  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: canting the bow
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »
I cant, and cant at many angles.....from horizontal to reverse cant.....but I'm also canting my body at the waste on those extreme cants.

I also did a segment on canting in the shooting section on The Bowhunters of TradGang DVD.

Do a search for 'cant' in the search feature and make sure you click subject only.

Have fun.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 06:55:00 PM »
First: another instance of listen to McDave. About the Pavan response, he was a gentleman abot it, and my reading from the start was that it was done in good humor... and without an understanding of the particulars.

I was influenced a lot early on by an archer that suggested canting was a necessity, so cant I did.. always. Experience led me to cant when necessary, and not when NOT a necessity. In situations when it is desireable to cant... adjust your upper body to the cant, and go back to the basics.

NH Buck, I encourage you to absorb what's been offered before... and practice it... to avoid further frustration. If I didn't care, I wouldn't be reading and responding to your posts.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 06:55:00 PM »
Double post; apologies.

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 11:08:00 PM »
I don't bend at the waist and I can't the bow. I do lean into the bow a little bit more but it's not bending at the waist.

Bow cant for me is dependent on the bow that I am shooting but I never think about it, it's all second nature.

I have found with a recurve that is cut past center very little bow can't is necessary to get the arrow aligned perfectly straight over the eye.

A longbow that is not cut to center requires slightly more cant while a selfbow or shot off the hand bow will require slightly more cant.

It becomes very natural over time though because you will start to cant the bow and right when the shaft lines up perfectly dead straight under your eye and straight towards your target (not pointing to the left as it would be if shooting it vertical) than you stop canting the bow immediately.

It becomes second nature over time and you will not think about it when switching from one bow to another because the objective of bow cant is to get the arrow under the eye and get the shaft pointing straight from your eye right to the target.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©