3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you think I draw too much weight??  (Read 306 times)

Offline gandeer

• Trad Bowhunter
Do you think I draw too much weight??
« on: November 24, 2007, 11:40:00 PM »
I shoot a Bighorn recurve 67# at 29 inches.  My draw length is just a touch short of 29.  I switched to a heavier draw weight because I like shooting heavier carbon arrows. I had a helluva time keeping my wood arrows straight.  Anyway,  the heavier carbon arrows are so damn stiff I had to go up in weight.  But I have to tell ya' that I am comfortable shooting that weight and I can shoot 50-60 arrows  in a session with no fatigue.
So am I "overweighted" or not?  Thanks in advance.
pick a spot

Offline houseman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you think I draw too much weight??
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 11:58:00 PM »
Well if you are comfortable and your form is still good than no.  jmo
Semper Fi

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 12:02:00 AM »
Don't sound like too much weight to me.

How heavy of an arrow do ya want?....My Arrow Dynamics can weight up to 530 grains, and they aren't too stiff for my 60 to 70 pound bows.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Howattman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 01:49:00 AM »
I'm a proponent of heavy bows, so long as they don't cause physical discomfort or loss of accuracy.  If you're shooting 67# comfortably and with a level of accuracy that's acceptable to you, what else could you want?

Howattman
Resident Howattologist

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 06:01:00 AM »
You bought a new bow to match your arrows? I'm going to try that one on the wife next time I want a new bow.
lll

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 07:12:00 AM »
my thought is, since you asked you might question it yourself. If you can comfortably draw your bow from any position;sitting,standing,looking back,straight down or bent over, then no

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 08:49:00 AM »
Probably more important than being able to shoot a multitude of arrows without fatigue, is how well you shoot the first one cold.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 06:54:00 PM »
I don't know if 67# is considered heavy some would call it light. If you shoot 80#-90# bows that would be a light bow if your shooting 40-50# it would be a heavy. Do you think it is light or heavy. I like a bow that feels just right for me. No one can really answer that for you. You need to be honest with yourself. Good Luck

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
If you look around this site there are quite a few people drawing that much or more. One thing to remember, and do not forget, is there are a lot of people here who have had injuries and even surgery to shoulders, elbows, and wrists. When looking at used bows you will often see "if that was only ten pounds lighter". Stressing a joint or muscle when cold is what has sidelined many athletes. You will be cold when you draw your bow sometimes. The law of averages.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
No one can tell you you are overbowed except you.  Be honest with the man in the mirror and you know.  

Longbows & Short Shots,
Jeff
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »
Yes
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »
Usually people just buy different arrows rather than a heavier bow   :p  . A lot of folks shoot that kind of weight and certainly others did before them.

The only thing I would say is that you would be able to acheive the same results with less wear and tear on the body. Shoot whatever weight is comfortable and you are accurate with.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
HMMM.....New way to kill a cat.

Eric

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
I don't think you are overweighted but you might need to try a different arrow combo.Carbon arrows are great but I have had some that were cut alittle short and it made the spine so stiff.I couldn't get them to fly no matter what I did or how much weight I added up front to try to weaken the spine.

Offline jwingman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
Shoot a 3D round with your bow and then shoot another round with a lighter bow. Maybe 55 pounds. If you see a difference in the score, then you might have your answer. Stand and shoot a blue face round of 60 arrows and you might get the right answer too. I did. I shot a lot better with the lighter bow even though I thought I could handle the heavier bow. Just a suggestion. You may be entirely different than me but it may give you an indication of the answer you seek.
  Some up front weight will solve your arrow problem.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
if you are shooting 50-60 arrows without fatigue...when does the fatigue set in?  I personally think that if you cant shot that bow all day (that being relative) you are over bowed.  shooting at a bale or wall a trad shooter can shoot 60 arrows in 15 minutes.  3d or walking range is a different scenario all together.

Offline BSBD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
I'm interested in what actually defines overbowed because from everything I've read I'm way overbowed. I started with a 53lb recurve after shooting 75 - 85 wheelie' for many years. After about a month I picked up longbow that I draw 65#@29" and shot 300+ arrows the first day without fatigue.
After 2 months of the longbow I found a good deal on a recurve that I found out weighs 76#@29" but was marked 70#@28". It was a bit stiff at first but I can still shoot 300 arrows without fatigue and I shoot the tightest groups by far with the heavy bow.
I figured 70# would take several months to get used much less 76# but I like shooting the heavy bow the best.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »
I used to feel comfortable with 85-90 lbs, however, age and injuries eventually caught up with me.  Shoot what is comfortable for you, but be honest with yourself if the poundage is taking a tole on your body.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 01:05:00 AM »
Im with Terry,Im shooting 59@32". With a Arrow Dynamics 200grns up front, 600grns.in all.Love the way they shoot.They same arrow i can shoot in bows down to 50#.

Offline 6X5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »
What a great idea! Don't tune the arrows buy bows till you find one that shoots them well!!!!!! I really applaud your thinking. I have several different spined arrow laying around and now that I realize the logic of your method I will be buying bows till I can get these arrows to shoot. To answer your question NO you are NOT pulling too much weight. If it works for you its great. Now to decide on which bow to buy first.
Robert Johns

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©