Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: please read about back tension  (Read 1118 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
please read about back tension
« on: February 23, 2017, 01:40:00 PM »
i have been shooting and lately i am realizing im not using my back, so i decided to try to make believe im closing a door with my elbow while im drawing and man what a difference, anyone else use this method? i would like to hear other methods that would help with this as well, please share what works for you. thanks alot guys and good shooting
kyle
aim small miss small

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: please read about back tension
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 02:01:00 PM »
I draw with my rear, shoulder muscles, then transfer the weight to my rhomboid once I reach full draw. I may spend some time working on the J draw to keep my back more involved from the beginning of the draw cycle.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 06:34:00 PM »
I imagine my right upper arm and elbow is a screen door hinged at the shoulder and then close it by moving my upper arm and elbow towards my back.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 09:20:00 PM »
I don't even know what back tension is to be honest with you.

I don't do anything deliberate when I draw the bow back and my best shots/groups have come from being as relaxed as possible with the least amount of tension in anything including my back.

To be fair though I think the best way to learn proper "back tension" is to practice drawing back a very heavy bow, they CAN NOT be drawn back with just your arm muscles.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 02:51:00 PM »
anyone else?
aim small miss small

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 04:29:00 PM »
The converse of using the back muscles is relaxing the arm muscles.  My training method for this is to hold for long periods of time at full draw, like 20 seconds, which gives me enough time to become aware of which muscles are tensed and which muscles are relaxed. This is a practice exercise, not the way I usually shoot the bow, which is with about a 2 second hold. I started doing this with a 25# bow, and now am able to comfortably hold for 5 reps of 20 seconds with my regular 40# target bow, so it is also a strength building exercise, as well as an exercise in controlled breathing during the long hold time.

As far as your door closing with the elbow concept, I have heard the same thing recommended by several archery instructors.  If it works for you, go for it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
yes it works well dave but is going to take some practice but you can really feel the grip pressing the correct spot when your using back tension, bottom line i believe back tension is extremly importand to get proper alignment and to make a good shot.
aim small miss small

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 04:46:00 PM »
I consider back tension just another  step in the whole sequence when I am shooting. I think guys get to into this and over complicate it. When I draw and come to anchor I imagine someone has a hand on the back of the arm and is pushing against it as I draw. This helps me to engage muscles in my back. Works fine when I am target shooting but I really could care less when hunting. Just my opinion

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 07:49:00 PM »
Kyle, you might want to review the "How is my form" post that was resurrected from 2009.  It addresses a lot of the questions you have been posing lately.  Answered some of my questions too!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 08:49:00 PM »
tks mcdave!!! i will check it out
aim small miss small

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 08:06:00 AM »
You don't need to use a heavy bow to acquire back tension.... the weight of the bow has nothing to do with whether or not you achieve proper back tension.

If you only using your arms to pull the bow then you are muscling the bow which can cause a multitude of problems. Proper back tension helps create proper alignment .... and once achieved it solves all those problems associated with lack of proper back tension and improper alignment
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 02:12:00 PM »
so how do you fraw with your back withouthaving tension in your arms?
aim small miss small

Offline Draven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 10:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
You don't need to use a heavy bow to acquire back tension.... the weight of the bow has nothing to do with whether or not you achieve proper back tension.
You don't need to, but it helps a beginner to understand body-mechanics and how important is the alignment of the elements that at the end define the "shooting form" . Maybe he will understand when he can't draw "muscling" the bow that back tension is the result of muscles AND bones working together in a precise sequence and on a specific trajectory of elements under bow pressure, not independent parts that engage when someone says to do it. And maybe he will understand that back tension is not just rhomboid tension. Plus, it gives him a "target" ("in X months , if I am doing things correctly I will be able to pull that bow"). I believe that training with lighter bow is just a passage toward the maximum poundage someone can shoot correctly, not starting with #35 and moving to #45 and stopping because everybody knows #45 is enough. But this is another subject.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©