Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Does this make sense to anyone else  (Read 1146 times)

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
Does this make sense to anyone else
« on: February 26, 2017, 12:47:00 PM »
A couple of years ago I had a hell of a time shooting and tuning a 175gr 2 blade broadheads (Left,Left & Left)compared to my 175gr field points for the same point of impact and I don't know why. Then I went to shooting a 175gr 3 blade snuffer broadhead over a 2 blade, maybe common sense said I don't want a wing out in front using a 2 blade, when I started using the 3 blade everything came together. Maybe I'm crazy and some say nonsense on my findings. But it worked for me. I practice a lot using field points of course, and at the end of my session I always shoot a couple of hunting 3 blade broadheads to make sure all is good. I know a lot of people shoot 2 blade broadheads, but I can't seem to do it..
Odds are with the prepared..

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does this make sense to anyone else
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »
Did you have the two blade broadheads oriented up and down, or sideways?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »
Up and Down.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »
I would think two blade broadheads would be more susceptible to side to side errors with the blade mounted up and down.  Perhaps you could try a horizontal orientation.  (Of course, then you might get vertical errors!)

The arrow will spin, assuming you have a helical fletch, but doesn't start spinning for a short distance after it leaves the bow, which might result in some planing during those first few feet.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »
I tried it horizontal also, all over the place.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 02:35:00 PM »
When I shoot two blade broadheads, I use 5" feathers with as much helical as I can get from my Bitz, which is a lot of helical.  Some people use even longer feathers than that.  What were you using?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »
5" feathers also with I think enough helical, this was out of a Whip Classic 66" 45@28 using 3555 GT trads with 50gr inserts.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »
With a 45# bow cut past center, I would typically shoot the same shaft with a 175 grain point, 29" arrow, 28" draw length.  Your setup, if I'm reading correctly, would be 225 grains up front total, which would be weak for me.  It still could be in tune for you, if you're shooting a shorter arrow or possibly the Whip is not cut past center.  I don't know what that would have to do with your question, just thought I'd mention it.  I'll be watching to see if someone comes up with something else.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »
Arrows are cut at 29". Thanks for all the info. It's working for me using the 3 blade snuffers and that's all now that matters. I got 2 deer this year using the 3 blade snuffers at 15 yards and the other at 18 yards. With the set up I have, it's working very well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©