Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Super compact straw bales for targets.  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Christoph

• Trad Bowhunter
Super compact straw bales for targets.
« on: March 02, 2017, 04:57:00 PM »
Had a new friend over today to talk bows and stuff and  after a while we went out back to do some shooting. After a few rounds rounds he inquired about my straw bales. Asking, "What are these?" I was kind of surprised he hadn't known about them since he had been shooting traditional archer many years beyond me. Told him I get them at Tractor Supply, there basically the same amount of straw as a full size bale just super compressed. He was really amazed by how well they work. Said he was going to have to get some.
So I'm posting this because if he didn't know about them maybe there's other guys that don't. They cost about twelve bucks and last about a year before they start to break down. Nice thing is when there expired just cut the bands and spread them out on lawn or garden to decompose. Down side is there heavy so not convenient to transport as a portable target, but they don't cost a hundred bucks and last just as long. I usually insert a stick in the center and hang a tin soda can from the pull tap. I like shooting at the cans because it's three dimensional and makes a nice ting sound when the arrow makes contact. Give it a try.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super compact straw bales for targets.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
We replaced all the regular straw bales with compacted straw bales at club range several years ago.  The compounders really like them because their thousand mile an hour arrows usually don't blast right through them, unless they happen to hit in between two bales.  One small negative we have noticed is that it is hard to stick the bale pins that hold up the targets into the compacted bales.  Guess we're going to have to either sharpen all the bale pins or leave a hammer at the targets to pound them in with.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 07:32:00 PM »
I use them best money I ever spent on targets. I got two and have them strapped together. I use nails to hold my targets on.

Offline larry f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 08:30:00 PM »
I just got one myself, they are really heavy for there size. I have a cheap foam target in front of the bail. Works great and the arrows are easy to pull out. Once the snow is gone I plan on getting one or two more. I have a total of $21.00 invested and I shoot in my garage with very little mess
Larry Fischer
PBS Regular
Wisconsin Bow Hunters
WisconsinTradtional

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »
Just my luck, they are not available in Pa tractor supplies...

Offline flyguysc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 08:42:00 PM »
Do they scratch up your arrows much?
Winners make commitments ,Loser make excuses

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 10:22:00 PM »
The ones we have at our range don't scratch wood arrows anymore than regular bales; they just don't penetrate as much.  The only surprising thing is that sometimes a target arrow fired from a target weight bow will bounce off.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline flyguysc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »
[/url] [/IMG] I have been pounding on these compressed hay bales for a little over a month daily and I have yet to make a dent in this target.Best eleven bucks I ever spent.I shoot only traditional ASl bows so not sure how they would hold up to the wheelies. I put a black trash bag over the bale.Guess I will not be buying any more bag targets, they are a disappointment.

Offline Grittybow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
thanks I'll see if i can source one here locally, was gonna buy a bag target...
Archery is in the eye of the bowholder...

Online Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 03:27:00 PM »
Are the bales compressed during baling or by some other means. Not sure if they are available where I live but I'd love to get a couple
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline flyguysc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 07:18:00 PM »
Tractor supply,yes they are  compressed during baling. Maybe a local feed and seed type store.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
Looks like there are several types at Tractor Supply, which one is recommend?

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 01:27:00 PM »
Read this morning and went to my local Tractor Supply. They had the compact bail for $10.99 so I purchased. I came home and shot a few dozen shots into the bale. Stops arrows really well and appears it will last awhile. Thanks, for posting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©