Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Back tension?  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Back tension?
« on: March 21, 2017, 08:31:00 AM »
I have a tendency to pluck the string. My stance and posture are pretty good, at least most of the time. Is plucking usually the result of poor back tension? What else might contribute to this vile habit?
Sam

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back tension?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
When I pluck, it's usually because I'm creeping, and probably have started to collapse.  I suppose plucking could also be caused by a poor release, where one tries to consciously open the hand rather than just relaxing the grip on the string.

If you have an iPhone, or a camera that will record in slow motion, it is instructive to focus on your string hand on release of the arrow.  It makes it easy to see how much creeping you have.  I've read that everyone, even the pros, creep a little, but it is obviously something that needs to be minimized.

It has helped me to add back tension to my list of things to track on followthrough, at least on days when I'm plucking.  The Formaster also has a way of giving you a gentle reminder if you're not maintaining your back tension through completion of the shot.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 08:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
... Is plucking usually the result of poor back tension?...
Plucking is ALWAYS a sign of giving up back tension for me.  I can literally feel it post shot in my back; the bow does not extend toward the mark. It usually goes to the side a bit.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 07:28:00 PM »
Yup, if you use your arm muscles instead of your back muscles to reach and maintain full draw it's almost a given that you will pluck the string to some degree.  That doesn't mean you need to overdraw the string, it simply means you need to use your back to do most of the work.  It really makes a big difference for getting a smooth release.

Offline Draven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
You can have a decent back tension and the fingers are doing something weird:

- you try to mimic others and you move your hand to touch the shoulder before the fingers are relaxed and let the string go = plucking
- you voluntarily relax your fingers because you were told to relax to get a good release = plucking
- your fingers point down when releasing due to a high elbow (string hand side)= plucking

are just a few other reasons ...
Back tension is not the culprit for everything, even if is the "usual suspect".

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »
I have seen a number of people claim that they were squeezing their shoulder blades hard and still not have back tension.  The muscle group between the shoulder blades do not automatically guarantee anything if the rear shoulder muscles are not in the game.  If the arrow and the arm are lined up, when the draw gets far enough back all of the muscle groups come into play, some say that it can be seen in chest expansion.  When I have seen people having a release that either pops out or does a wanky offline jerk, it is usually tensions that not in line with the arrow.  It is proper that the release hand would want to skid back a bit, that is a product of reserve back tension at the release.  If it pops out away quite often either the wrist was not straight, the hand was cupped or the arm and shoulder muscles that move the hand that direction were in play.  My son use to have a pop out pluck when he was 14.  He shot pretty good with a Hill Big 5, but when he tried to shoot a two wheeler, he produced the wacky arrow wag that i have ever seen.  I held my hand up a good foot from the side of his head. Bang, he hit my hand and then yelled, "Why'd you hit my hand, that hurt."  He would not believe me, until I showed him a video via my neighbors camera.  He had it all, the cupped hand, bent wrist, torquing of the bow string fingers, elbow not coming back until it lined up with the string.  Once that was understood and straightened out, he quickly became one of the best shots that folks around here have ever seen.  I could still beat him on moving targets, but he had me on the anything standing still.  To this day 20 years later, if he cannot shoot 6" groups at 30 yards, he thinks he is having either an arrow problem or he is having form problems.

Offline Draven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 04:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
I have seen a number of people claim that they were squeezing their shoulder blades hard and still not have back tension.  The muscle group between the shoulder blades do not automatically guarantee anything if the rear shoulder muscles are not in the game.  If the arrow and the arm are lined up, when the draw gets far enough back all of the muscle groups come into play, some say that it can be seen in chest expansion.  When I have seen people having a release that either pops out or does a wanky offline jerk, it is usually tensions that not in line with the arrow.  It is proper that the release hand would want to skid back a bit, that is a product of reserve back tension at the release.  If it pops out away quite often either the wrist was not straight, the hand was cupped or the arm and shoulder muscles that move the hand that direction were in play.
That's the consequence of "back tension" teaching paradox. If they think they can squeeze the shoulder blades without having the rear  shoulder muscles engaged while shooting a bow, they should think again holding a 45# bow and actually paying attention to their own muscles.

Offline Draven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »
double

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »
Without going into a full diatribe.... yes it can be but it also could be from telling yourself to let go, or just the act of engaging your mind into thinking it must be told when to let go.
.. so you throw your hand away and you may be doing it prematurely
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©