Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Dropping my bow arm.  (Read 1371 times)

Offline DKdc

• Trad Bowhunter
Dropping my bow arm.
« on: March 26, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »

Is this kind of bow arm dropping normal. I feel like it's a reaction from the energy of the bow shooting the arrow rather than me actually dropping my arm.

So I am kind of an idiot. Hopefully this video comes up. If not sorry.
Doug

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dropping my bow arm.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 05:52:00 PM »
I think you are right, it's a reaction of the shot. I look like you when I shoot, and my arrow goes to where I'm looking (if I do everything else right!). I think you could post this to the "Shooters Forum" too. Great help and advice can be had there.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 06:41:00 PM »
Nope.  That's just the recoil from the shot.  A dropped bow arm often starts before the arrow leaves the shelf.  Also, very difficult to actually drop the bow arm when you shoot with a loose grip, not impossible, but difficult.  A loose grip sort of forces one to keep pushing the bow arm through the shot, which is what you seem to be doing. Looks good to me.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 06:42:00 PM »
To my eye, that's not a dropped bow arm. That's the normal reaction of the bow jumping to target and a nice, loose grip on the riser.

Offline DKdc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 08:42:00 PM »
Thanks for the input you guys. I was so concerned about getting the video to post I put it on the wrong forum. It belongs on the shooting one for sure.
Thanks again,
Doug

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 09:41:00 PM »
If thats ok I'm ok, cause my arm does the same thing.  I just envy you folks that can draw and hold.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 10:58:00 PM »
Draw, anchor, release, follow through with a "one thousand one, one thousand two" count.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »
Take a slow motion video (an iphone slo-mo video is fine).  You can watch the moment of release with amazing detail & see for sure if your bow arm is dropping before or after the arrow is gone.

It's also a good way to see if or how much you are plucking with your string hand.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 02:41:00 PM »
If the bow arm muscles are properly active as the shot is executed it will naturally jump towards the target and then fall down and to the side a bit.  To keep the bow arm unmoving is fighting natural follow through.

One of the myths of shooting a bow is to leave the bow arm up and still until the arrow strikes the target. Promotes collapsing inward and creeping.

Offline Pete Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 10:52:00 AM »
I discovered something about the bow arm while playing with the static release. Without even thinking about holding it stationary upon release, it stayed right in place. I firmly believe it's because the body seeks balance...and the reaction to a stationary string hand is a stationary bow hand.
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Offline Draven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 11:02:00 AM »
One of the myths of shooting a bow is to leave the bow arm up and still until the arrow strikes the target. Promotes collapsing inward and creeping.
Actually is not a myth, it is something some are teaching someone because sometimes somebody will drop the bow hand before the arrow cleared the shelf. The possible collapsing and creeping is the lack of understanding the reason of doing that, not the reason of doing that. It's a user problem. A very big difference that will get unnoticed and be classified as myth if you don't know why you do something.

Offline Draven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pete Patterson:
I discovered something about the bow arm while playing with the static release. Without even thinking about holding it stationary upon release, it stayed right in place. I firmly believe it's because the body seeks balance...and the reaction to a stationary string hand is a stationary bow hand.
Part true, part not. Body seeks balance the moment is not laying down on ground. You can't say "a dynamic release gives a dynamic bow hand" based on your assumption "stationary release gives stationary bow hand"

Offline Draven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 11:36:00 AM »
double

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©