Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: My struggle with BACK TENSION!  (Read 2736 times)

Offline trojanman

• Trad Bowhunter
My struggle with BACK TENSION!
« on: April 21, 2017, 02:27:00 PM »
After getting my bow back out after a couple months of a bit too cold, I noticed my arrows kicking right as they flew. After some searching on here I found a thread were Arne Moe mentioned a bad release could be back tension. What? Can it be that I am really having back tension problems? Well I think yes. If I really tighten my rhomboid the arrow kicks left(weak on purpose)I had my wife video a few shots for me and also noticed my elbow seemed a bit high as well, another Arne Moe thread said this could be back tension as well. I am chalking this up to the time off and not keeping back strength up. Went back to my 35# recurve and am working form like crazy Really just wanted to share this experience and see if anyone else has had similar troubles. The struggle is real!
Never forget that freedom isn't free.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My struggle with BACK TENSION!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »
I just added a clicker to my main bow, has been eye opening and has certainly improved my form when I grab a bow without one too.

Offline trojanman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 04:50:00 PM »
Mine just came in the mail.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 07:55:00 PM »
I struggle with back tension every time I shoot. I tend to pluck the string, which I also think is a tension problem.
Sam

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 09:19:00 AM »
If the shooter is consciously pulling the hand back he is not using his back to hold the string.  If properly done the hand will go back naturally.  It's hard to teach but once you do it right and feel the shot you will know what to look for.  The key is to have a relaxed forearm and draw with the back.  Rights and lefts disappear when down correctly.
T ZZZZ

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »
My problem is I tend to collapse after holding. This happens about one or two times a session. Any advice on this?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »
One of the hardest things about back tension for me was learning what it really was.  For near 20 years I thought I knew...thought it was "like squeezing an orange between your shoulder blades".  Wrong, wrong, wrong...

Learning to use it properly will do wonders for your release.  A good release will do wonders for your shooting.

The first step is to learn what back tension really is.

Chad

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by LBR:
One of the hardest things about back tension for me was learning what it really was.  For near 20 years I thought I knew...thought it was "like squeezing an orange between your shoulder blades".  Wrong, wrong, wrong...

Learning to use it properly will do wonders for your release.  A good release will do wonders for your shooting.

The first step is to learn what back tension really is.

Chad
SEMANTICS!!!    :)  
So I teach human movement for a living. I've been doing it for 27 years now. When someone say s to me.... "More back tension" (with relation to drawing a bow) my response is. " I can't  get any more back tension" it's complete. There's nothing left!  I agree with some of you the words "BACK TENSION"  mean NOTHING tom most people. Because it's NOT the actual ACTION.
All the best coaches will tell you back tension is NOT pinching your shoulder blades together. AKA Scapular Retraction. And every one learns differently. And we'll all understand it if we're taught in a way that causes us to learn best and in ACTION it's not always VERBAL.
for me it's "rotate the elbow posterior" or toward the back. I can do this and not focus or think of actual scapular retraction. If you're doing and thinking of this you're NOT thinking of your hand tension. And other things that may be wasted energy.
Don't stress if "back tension" doesn't make sense to you.. Because that's YOUR TRUTH and it's real to you..
I hope this helps

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 02:01:00 PM »
Do you utilize a nose tip anchor?
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline trojanman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 04:23:00 PM »
I am finding that a short session with a form master just pulling the bow back without the use of my fingers on the string before shooting helps me get the right feeling.  If I mess up on a shot its back to the form master for 5-10 pulls.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 05:12:00 PM »
Yep.  The Form Master is a great tool...it will really open your eyes as to whether you are using your back muscles or not.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 09:13:00 PM »
We should ring those Olympic coaches and tell them they have been scammed by a myth ...
they should get a refund from all the scientists and body mechanic researchers ...

Saying it's not important to you is one thing ,saying it's a myth is absolutely laughable.
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 10:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by forestdweller:
I agree, I personally don't believe in back tension myself. I think that it's a myth.

I've said this before in other threads and some people probably think I'm crazy for saying this but I want my back to not be tense while shooting, I want it to be as relaxed as possible.

When I have made my best shot's my whole body has been very relaxed. When I start to tense up and engage my muscles a lot more deliberately my shooting goes to hell. I want back relaxation, not tension. This way all of my muscles can work together in conjunction to pull the string back including the back, shoulders, and the arm muscles.

. [/qb][/QUOTE]

From your post earlier this month , 10th of April
"I can really feel my back pull together as I draw back a heavy bow and I can feel the back muscles next to the spine pulling together tight along with my lats and when I go back to a lighter bow it feels as easy as pie to draw back. "

Post 9 -    http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=008158;p=1#000009  

I'm confused ? Do you have a video of yourself shooting so we can see what you mean ?

Cheers
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 11:22:00 PM »
I would suggest a little reading on shooting the English Warbow, or 'shooting in the bow' may be right up your alley . You may find it enlightening.

And I really don't care what Greyarcher on YouTube says ... until he has successfully hunted game and/or won a tourney I'll seek my advice elsewhere. Everyone is a great shot on Youtibe. Lol....

Perhaps , if you don't care to use the terms then lay off saying they are a myth.

And as an FYI, some of us shoot over 70# and still used back tension.

Not saying it's for everyone , but discrediting it when people obviously use it to great success is just plain foolish.
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 12:50:00 AM »
Take this for what it's worth. My own personal anecdote.

Been shooting a Trad bow for the past 12 years and worried about back tension and my hand not coming straight back on release but flipping out away.  Drove me nuts and figured it was just how I shot.
Had an enlightening conversation with a prominent Hill style shooter and I implemented his advice of making my shot more fluid (I.e pulling through the shot).
Took video of my previous shooting and in slow mo it showed that I was collapsing a tiny bit just before release.
Now by keeping the shot fluid to anchor and never stopping the "pull" my release is a lot cleaner and my hand comes straight back. In slow mo video I'm still drawing the same length BUT I'm not losing any length just prior to release.

My point is that proper form dictates back tension but I believe the major problem comes from the loss of tension that "settling" into anchor can infer.  Some people can draw straight to anchor and keep pulling. God bless them. I personally have to NEVER stop the pulling. Once it's gone, it's gone.  After 12 years it's an epiphany of what Terry, Rod, Arnie and the rest have been saying.
Do I believe in back tension?  Of course!  But the loss of it during any part of the shot is a deal breaker.  Fix that and the rest is "semantics".
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 10:44:00 AM »
Greyarcher...really?

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 02:21:00 PM »
If some archers don't believe in BT, or believe it's a myth, then there is little anyone can say to change their minds. The best archers in national and international competition use it to reach the podiums. The best archery coaches teach archers to develop BT into their shot. If you're an archer who has no use for incorporating BT into your shot, then so be it. As for me, I'm continually working on improving my archery accuracy and that includes the use of BT.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 02:36:00 PM »
Most guys that say they do it can't even explain it clearly
Explain how to tie a shoelace.  Very simple to do, not so easy to put into words.

The best archers in national and international competition use it to reach the podiums. The best archery coaches teach archers to develop BT into their shot.  
Exactly, and that speaks for itself.  I'll also note that a great many of these shooters are also proficient and successful hunters.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 02:52:00 PM »
For those who care to have BT described, I will offer this. BT is better felt than explained. So, try this. Either lay on the floor, back against the floor or stand with your back against the wall. With your string hand side come to anchor with your upper arm and elbow against the wall/floor. Now, with your elbow against the surface try to lift your body from the floor/wall simply by pushing your elbow into the surface. That is what BT feels like during the shot.

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
Or...place your string hand on your chest. Without moving your hand, rotate your elbow back. What you feel on the inside of that scapula is "back tension".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©