Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: swing draw vs bow arm out  (Read 3919 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
swing draw vs bow arm out
« on: April 15, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »
What are the benefits to the string draw versus the standard straight bow arm olympic stance? can you still treestand hunt with swing draw? how many of you tradgangers use it? any tips how to learn this? thank you all happy easter
kyle
aim small miss small

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: swing draw vs bow arm out
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 09:20:00 PM »
I practice and use both, but primarily use the straight bow arm when hunting big critters. Creates less/slower movement. Often use the swing draw on smaller critters like rabbits and squirrels, where I may need to draw and shoot very quickly, sometimes at a moving target.

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 09:31:00 PM »
I started out shooting straight arm but later switched to swing since I feel like it's more natural and relaxed.

One benefit that I have noticed from a swing draw is that it is faster and more rhythemic feeling.

That being said I'm quite confident that most guys that shoot with a swing draw can also shoot with a straight arm.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 09:43:00 PM »
I much prefer straight arm - point at game - draw back - primarily because this is much less likely to alert game while you draw.
<><
<-------------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »
I kinda switch between the 2...  Once I start getting into a rhythm, I really start getting into the swing draw.  While hunting, I start with the swing and slow it waaaaayyyyy down towards full draw.  I see it's hard to explain!

Good luck with it!

God Bless,
Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 10:04:00 PM »
Straight arm for me because of less movement .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »
can you still treestand hunt with this?
aim small miss small

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 10:36:00 PM »
I've not had much of a problem....  some stands are a little tighter than others, but I work around it.

Good luck, shoot straight and God Bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 02:54:00 AM »
Swing draw or a part spread swing draw with a one second to two second shot tempo.  I don't go walking around in the woods with my arm extended straight out.  My final aim comes in the last few inches of draw.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 04:12:00 AM »
Need to know both in my opinion! Swing draw for quick CLOSE snap shots and classic for longer more accurate shots, otherwise you are going to get busted drawing. The one thing that really stepped up my shooting was slowing down my draw and aiming through the draw cycle, you can't do that swing drawing!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 07:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by Cory Mattson:
I much prefer straight arm - point at game - draw back - primarily because this is much less likely to alert game while you draw.
<><
<-------------------<<<<<<
Me too
David M. Conroy

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 08:40:00 AM »
I also use both. On a fast moving rabbit or running deer I swing draw up anchor and release. If I'm on stand I try to keep my bow straight and ready.should learn both.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Orion:
I practice and use both, but primarily use the straight bow arm when hunting big critters. Creates less/slower movement. Often use the swing draw on smaller critters like rabbits and squirrels, where I may need to draw and shoot very quickly, sometimes at a moving target.
Took the words right out of my mouth...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 10:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Graps:
Straight arm for me because of less movement .
Same for me. I just like to practice the way I hunt, and it seems like any more movement than necessary on my draw would just be that much more likely to spook animals in the woods.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 10:38:00 AM »
Swing arm naturally, but for large game I generally morph into a set arm, same reasons Orion stated above.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 12:40:00 PM »
Something I learned in my compound days is how to draw that contraption with as little movement as possible. I've seen guys stick their bows(long bows and recurves) and other shooting contraptions up in the air and pull down on the string to get to anchor them point the bow at the target. This is way too much movement for a hunter. I started holding my contraption are straight out and drawing to my anchor. I'd do this 10 times and on the last draw hold for 30 seconds then let down. I was doing this in the evenings sitting in my chair in front of the TV. After a while, after I'd toned my muscles this became a simple task.
 I continued this when I got into trad archery. This evolved into holding the bow close to my body and pushing the bow out while drawing back with the other hand. There is very little movement visible as viewed from down range. It also helped me be more consistent with my shooting using both the push and pull method.
 I read and reread G Fred Asbel's "Instinctive Shooting" when I first started shooting trad and one of his methods was the swing draw. For quick action shooting this method is good but for me in a tree it was too much movement. When I see a deer coming in I first stand(when appropriate) facing the deer. I then put tension on the string, moving with the deer. When the shot opportunity arrives I slowly draw straight back while pushing the bow forward and release when I hit anchor. No aiming but I do concentrate on where the arrow will go...and usually it does.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 12:45:00 PM »
Swing draw always felt natural to me. I raise the arrow up to the target with a slightly bent arm. Short pause at longer distances. Arrow never gets higher than the "spot".  I hunt from the ground.
Never owned or hunted with compounds or recurves so that's how I learned.

Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 01:14:00 PM »
When some of you guys hunt do you always keep your bow held up in position ready to shoot? You are going to have to swing your bow upwards no matter what at some point.

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2017, 02:04:00 PM »
Deer and turkeys are motion detector machines, they can see the slightest movemnets just as easy as larger ones.  I find that there is a time to shoot and a time to be a shadow.  when the time is right, I get on with many people are more accurate when they shoot at a good tempo with a more natural cadence.  As a ground hunter shot timing is critical.  It is one of the last things for a bowhunter to develop.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »
now shooting with my arm straight out should i be extending my arm until it locks out?
aim small miss small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©