Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: bow arm moving right before shot..  (Read 1275 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
bow arm moving right before shot..
« on: May 15, 2017, 01:10:00 PM »
Every since I swapped to 3 under, my mind has been trying to compensate for the hitting lower by, at the last second, raising up for the shot(probably about 1/2" or so).  I can't seem to kick the bad habbit.  It's so subconscious its crazy!  

Any tips on how others may have broken this habbit.  I don't do it everytime, when typically, when it does happy, it is a complete surprise.  

Thoughts?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow arm moving right before shot..
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 01:41:00 PM »
It may be a more general problem than just trying to avoid hitting low because of switching to 3 under.  This morning, I found myself hitting about 8" high on maybe a half dozen out of 60-70 shots.  Each time I did it it was a complete surprise to me and I couldn't identify any particular form error at the time.  So maybe I'm doing the same thing you're doing, although in my case I'm not trying to change anything; I'm just trying to do things the same as I always have.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Draven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 01:41:00 PM »
You wrote in first place:

"Every since I swapped to 3 under, my mind has been trying to compensate for the hitting lower"  - this means it happens quite often , consciously (you are aware of doing that compensation)

but right below you wrote:

"I don't do it everytime ... when it does happen, it is a complete surprise."  - this is contrary of the above

Are you sure is because you changed to 3 under or it is just your assumption after all?

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 11:18:00 PM »
Well,

it never happened while shooting split, and when you swap, your POI drops a decent amount.  One can only assume it's because of the swap.  It's like if I really focus on not doing it, I don't.  But as soon as I go into "auto pilot", I end up doing it.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 12:14:00 AM »
When I switched from split to 3 under, the same thing happened.  Since you can control it by focusing on it, I guess you'll just have to focus on it for a while.  In my recent tuneup with Rick, he noticed that I was consistently shooting a few inches high, and wanted me to raise my nock point to bring the POI down.  Since my bow is perfectly tuned as it is, I'm reluctant to do that.  Like you, if I focus, I can bring the POI down, and my expectation is that my brain will reprogram after a while, and it will become my new autopilot setting.  Maybe that's the reason for my unexpected high shots this morning: my brain is in the middle of reprogramming itself.  At least I hope so.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Draven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 07:29:00 AM »
In this case to reprogram I would start again with close range shooting until is where I look and go back shoot until is where I look and so on.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 09:48:00 AM »
I know some will scoff at this, but it helps me. I use the technique of visualization to help reinforce good form. (This is still a WIP regarding plucking the string). Imagine yourself pulling and holding steadily on target with a smooth release that does not move the bow. It is especially helpful if you can remember such a shot and replay that particular shot over and over in your mind. Then, when you practice, try to remember to hold steadily on the spot you have selected. There is an old book entitled ADVANCED ARCHER that presents this idea. I have also been told by a psychiatrist that this technique is successful for some people.

Essentially, the release is not the time to fine tune your sight picture. As you continue to adapt to the 3 under release, I would think you need to develop the proper hold when initially pointing your bow. It is so easy to say these things, but it sure can be difficult to implement them.
Sam

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »
Maybe you could try a different anchor spot, you changed your holding point going from split to three under but your brain does not know that when you shoot. Think about this, a compound shooter has sights that are only an 1/8" apart for 10 or from 10 yards to 40 yards about 1.25" you just mooved your sight 1 inch by going 3 fingers under. some archers call this face walking,you can shoot at different distances and never change your form, but just change the anchor point on your face.
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 07:19:00 PM »
I would suggest beginning at 5 yards. Shoot 30-40 perfect shots. Move back to 10 yards. Do the same... all the way back to 20+. If at any point you can't make 30-40 perfect shots, move up to the previous yardage and begin again. This is a Rod Jenkins exercise.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©