Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: learning to use a tab  (Read 1341 times)

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
learning to use a tab
« on: June 14, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
Hello Lady's and Gentleman. I have always used a glove, leather working is another of my favorite past times so ive never purchased one always made them. But I would really like to learn to use a tab. I tried when I was younger got frustrated after a day or two went back to my glove. Using a tab my release is not nearly as clean, the bow is louder and my shots are not nearly as consistent. So my question is Do any of you have a link to videos on how to properly use a tab and how they should fit. I understand this is a matter of personal opinion and varies from one guy to the next but I need a good starting point.
 Also if any one uses both or switched from one to the other and have knowledge on how they  differ any advice is greatly appreciated.
Life is to short to pass up anything that could potentially be bow wood!

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: learning to use a tab
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »
Almost forgot I shoot 3 under.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 04:00:00 PM »
John,  A tab will actually give a better release than a glove (that's why all the top level target shooters use one) BUT you must give it some time.  Just putting on a tab and expecting instant improvement will not work.  ANY!!!! new thing you try must be tried for a couple/three MONTHS before you decide that is is for you or not.

Many folks shoot VERY well with a glove and depending on your goals or needs, may be all you ever need.  That said, I am convinced that a tab is better but as I say, you MUST give it a fair try. One or two days just doesn't do that.

A tab should fit so that it is no wider than the width of your three shooting fingers (slightly less is good) AND the end of it at your finger tips should be 1/4 to 3/8ths inch SHORT of the finger tips when you are hooked on the string.

Give the tab a fair try, I think you will find something good.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »
Sorry guys, I searched this forum (duhh) and found some good stuff. Moebow replied with pics of proper fit on an older post. I love that guy, going to by him a beer if we ever meet, or maybe a root beer?

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 04:06:00 PM »
Thanks Mr. Arne, we must have been posting at the same time. I'm a lot older and much more patient than I use to be, hence the new interest in the tab. Just needed some advice on getting started from people who knew what they are talking about. I use to be very accurate with a glove but tabs seem a lil more practical and I also notice most good archers use them so ill give it a go. Thanks

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 05:11:00 PM »
I too have been giving the tab a go for the last week and I can really tell the difference in accuracy. Imo it is better for me. I've been shooting a glove the last 2 1/2 years and I thought it was the best resort until I tried the tab and it is working for me. I'm gonna continue t o practice with a tab until season opens then make a choice between the 2.
"Take Your Bow And Quiver Full Of Arrows An Go Out Into The Country To Hunt Some Wild Game For Me"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »
I have gone back and forth from the glove to the tab over the years.  Finally I read Arne's comments carefully about how the tab should fit, and learned how to relax my fingers rather than trying  to release the string by opening my fingers.  Properly used, there is no better way to hold the string than with a tab.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
Moebow's advice is spot on. As good as a tab is, if it is not sized properly to your fingers as he describes, especially the 1/4-3/8" short of your fingertips part, you are likely to experience noisy releases and possibly the tab popping your lip on release. It could even draw blood, don't ask me how I know.

Offline flyguysc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »
 Best tab for me ever.Saker one
Winners make commitments ,Loser make excuses

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©