Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: switching to 3 under  (Read 1086 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
switching to 3 under
« on: July 02, 2017, 01:59:00 AM »
Im switching from split with a glove to 3 under and a tab with a deep hook. I like it a lot, but have a few questions.

I shoot a 56" Javaman Helmsdeep @ 55# with 550gr AD Tradlites w/250 up front and a normal insert.

Right now my lower (of 2) string nocks is at about 7/8" high. My tab nock (fixed crawl) is about 1/4 high. With this my point on is right at 40 yards.  

Just curious if this is even close to what you guys are running. I would like my point on to be at 30 ideally.

How does my nock point look? Nothing seems right because I'm sure this bow was tillered for split. Its way louder like this.

I don't even really know what I'm asking, just looking for a little insight.

I'm neck deep in a house remodel that we have't moved into yet and don't have time to really geek out on this like I would like to.

Any wisdom for this guy?

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: switching to 3 under
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 05:02:00 AM »
I've found it noisier on just about every bow I've tried three under on, but my wife tried it yesterday and I think she's going to stick with it and her bow noise was the same. Make sure you have a second nock point so the arrow doesn't slide down and the nock height is the nock height where you get good flight, you probably will have to change anchor points to change your point on or change the length of your arrow.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 11:36:00 AM »
Thanks David, you're right I did change anchor points. I was doing the typical split/middle finger to corner of mouth but now I am doing 3 under with the top finger to the corner of the mouth and a deep  hook. I actually like it a lot. And I shoot a full size trad lite which I think is longer than most @ 32 IIRC.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »
When I switched I tended to drag my ring finger making for a louder shot.

Setup sounds typical. Once dialed in it can be deadly accurate. Have fun.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 03:27:00 PM »
Maybe you could try anchoring with the middle finger to the corner of your mouth? That may bring your point on closer to 30 yards without lowering your nocking point anymore.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 04:23:00 PM »
I would stick with middle finger corner of mouth to bring it even closer to your eye....also the longer your arrows the shorter your POINT ON distance will be all other things being equal.

I would go with 30 inch arrows and move middle finger to corner of mouth and think you will be at 30 or shorter for Point On.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©