Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Questions about my form. Picture included.  (Read 928 times)

Offline jonwilson

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Backwoods Grind Coffee Company
Questions about my form. Picture included.
« on: July 21, 2017, 10:23:00 AM »
Let me preface this post by saying I am quite nervous about posting this picture. I am what I call a perfectionist... my buddies probably say I am OCD. So, I know my form is not perfect, but let me explain, and then I would like some honest feedback.  :thumbsup:

I am 33 years old and have had shoulder issues most of my adult life. I remember when I was a kid I could pop my shoulders in and out quite easily. I guess that would be considered double jointedness? I have had several injuries to both shoulders, mostly due to my own stupidity.

I've been shooting compounds since I was a teenager and have developed a pretty consistent form. However, I cannot seem to make my form look like the "T" I see in most pictures. My right elbow tends to go up instead of straight out when drawing back. If I try to make it go straight out, my shoulder will literally pop out of joint. I know, I probably need surgery to correct this, but other than archery, it doesn't inhibit me in any way. Last year, I drew back on a pig, got half way to full draw, then had to let down and redraw because my shoulder was out. I was trying to draw discreetly and lower on my body than I normally do.

Anyway, here is the pic. Keep in mind the target was only 12 yards from me, hence the bending at the waist.  :)  

Is this something to worry about? Although I am new to traditional archery, I am pretty consistent, and this is my natural form I have developed over the last 20 or so years of compound shooting, bad or not. But I do want to correct any bad form issues.

What do I need to change?    :dunno:
Coffee for the outdoorsman:
  backwoodsgrind.com

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions about my form. Picture included.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 12:54:00 PM »
Nothing.  From just one still photo, can't really tell much but yes, your elbow is high for "classic" form BUT!!! acceptable with the shoulder issues.  The "T" really needs to be on the bow arm side and you have that.

ONLY thing I'd suggest, again based on just one picture, is your bow hand is a little too deep in the grip with your bow hand knuckles too vertical.  Try to get the knuckles to form a 45* angle to the vertical axis of the bow.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline jonwilson

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Backwoods Grind Coffee Company
Re: Questions about my form. Picture included.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »
Thanks Arne! That helps a lot. Maybe I can get more pictures with multiple angles. If so, I'll post them here!

Thanks again!
Coffee for the outdoorsman:
  backwoodsgrind.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©