Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Learning instinctive aiming  (Read 2470 times)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Learning instinctive aiming
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 01:00:00 PM »
Yes, with the arrows full length, 125 should work.  Fortunately, points are pretty cheap, so you will probably want to try heavier points as well.  Full length arrows are pretty long for a 27" draw length, so if you eventually cut them down to 28", they might fly better with 150 - 200 grain points, which also happen to be better hunting weights for broadheads. Be careful when you cut them down, though, and do it a little at a time.  You might find that a 29" length and a 150 - 200 grain point works perfectly, but a 28" length is too stiff for any point of any reasonable weight.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 08:01:00 PM »
Can't help much with carbon spine; others here are far more experienced. I know some folks shoot .500 at your specs; with like 175, 200 grains up front. Also what I shot ( by way of recommendation) out of my 45ish bows when I tried carbons. i would definitely look at .600's and lighter points if I tried carbon again.

Now for wood, a Montana pulling around 42# at your draw length... 45/50's, 27.5 or a little more, with 125 grn points, I bet would be mighty close. 50/55's, 29 or so, with 145's... probably also in the sweet spot.

Been shooting 40-45 lbs, 27-28" draw, 100-125 points for a while.... just my .02 cents.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 10:12:00 PM »
7 years ago I picked up a recurve and started down the same path.   I shoot to hunt so in the end my goal was to be able to hunt with my traditional gear.  And not just hunt with trad gear but to hunt with trad gear and make all if not most of the shots I took on game.  My journey has been great with many ups and downs but I am pretty comfortable with where I am today.  

What I now realize is that I could have gotten to where I am today a  lot sooner if I would have just applied that same techniques I used in my 40 years of shooting a compound.  Now that implies you have good form with your compound.  If so its all same except you are holding more weight and releasing with your fingers.

For me in the end I had to use a sighting method to be able to make sure I was doing everything else right.  I set up a fixed crawl used a point on aiming method and made sure I could hit a 3" bull at 20 yards consistently.  I know others that put a sight on there bow.  When I could hit well with the crawl I moved my fingers up to the knock three under and stopped looking at the point.  When I did everything right I hit the bull.  When I don't my shot stinks.  But its not because i didn't aim right instinctively but rather and bad release not coming to full draw or some other form issue.
T ZZZZ

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »
You can certainly try instinctive 1st...no where is it written in stone you MUST start another way cause its better....

I can't gap my way out of a paper bag....its not in my makeup.  Glad I didn't go the route of trying to gap 1st.  So, give instinctive a shot....if it don't work, try something else.

I still owe you a call.

Will chat again next week....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©