Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Breathing sequence/technique during shoot  (Read 1075 times)

Offline heli

• Trad Bowhunter
Breathing sequence/technique during shoot
« on: August 17, 2017, 03:46:00 PM »
Hi,
I’d like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. I’m located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
I have started shooting a compound bow, maybe 15 years ago, with gaps in between. I have to admit I did get bored and that’s the reason I shifted to traditional bows this year in January.
I shoot a Hill long bow and a 59 Kodiak Bear recurve in the 45-50 draw weight and like them both. It has been challenging the least, but I plan to keep at it and get better.
I’d like to ask what is the proper breathing sequence/technique during the shoot. I haven’t seen a lot on the subject., or maybe I missed it.

Currently, I use two approaches but I’m not sure which or if any are correct. I should mention, I shoot instinctively, split vision. I line up the arrow for windage but I don’t use the arrow tip for elevation, at least not yet with my up to 20-30 yards shots.

1.   I inhale as I draw the bow all the way to anchor. Once there and the picture feels good, I release. Before releasing I may exhale some air, but not all.
2.   I inhale before the draw. Once lungs full, I draw and exhale a bit during the draw, maybe half way. Once picture feels good, I release.

Now, both seam to work fine, but I think I prefer number 1, since I have more air in my lungs while aiming, even though, it may be 1 second or less. Or maybe sometimes longer if the picture doesn’t feel right.
So I believe I’m snap shooting in the instances when I see that I’m on the target at the time of anchor, or spend another second longer if I feel I need to make an adjustment to make the picture look right.

Please let me know if you see any issues with what I’m doing and how to correct them.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Breathing sequence/technique during shoot
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 05:57:00 PM »
Hi heli, and welcome to TradGang!  I feel that the more consistency you can achieve in your shot, the better you're going to shoot.  I think this same principle applies to breathing.  I've never heard anyone come out and say you should definitely breathe one way or another, but most coaches would agree that it is good to have the same breathing method for every shot.  Breathing in as you draw the bow, and holding your breath until you release the shot is used by many people, and is what I did for years.  Other people breathe out as they draw the bow.  

I changed my method of breathing for a reason having nothing to do with breathing.  I wanted to achieve a 2 second hold, and found that I was constantly struggling to keep my shot from speeding up.  I tried all sorts of ways to time a 2 second hold, but I think mechanically timing it did more harm than good.  Finally I discovered that it took me about 2 seconds to take in a moderately deep breath, hold it for a moment, and then release the shot.  So I exhale on the draw, inhale at full draw, hold for a moment, and then release.

I'm not sure this is any better than any other breathing method, but it does serve a worthwhile purpose for me.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 06:00:00 PM »
I recommend Inhaling as you LIFT the bow to draw Then about half out as you draw.  Breath in accordance with your body motion.

Breathing has nothing to do with snap shooting, that's an altogether another issue.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline heli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 10:20:00 PM »
Thanks McDave and Arne, realy appreciated.

Offline heli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 10:35:00 PM »
Thanks McDave and Arne, realy appreciated.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©