Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Anchor help, please  (Read 1104 times)

Offline heli

• Trad Bowhunter
Anchor help, please
« on: August 23, 2017, 12:35:00 PM »
Hi,
I’m trying to find a solid, repeatable anchor. My problem is that when I engage the back muscles, at full draw, it feels like my hand has to move
further back passed the mouth and therefore can’t really establish the middle finger at the corner of the mouth connection and getting my string arm elbow lined up with the bow hand.
Am I maybe overextending or if not, what am I supposed to use for the anchor? I must be doing something wrong, because I don’t think I’m so physically different than the rest of you.
Thanks in advance.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anchor help, please
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 02:38:00 PM »
When you find the correct "anchor" point on your face, the string hand becomes the center of a circle described by your hand and the string arm elbow.  Applying "back tension" moves the elbow perpendicular to the arrow line and your string hand will not move on your face.

IF the hand moves back, you are most likely drawing with the arm (biceps) and not the back.

You should NOT arbitrarily choose an anchor point!  Your anchor or facial references are a result of your draw and NOT a target of the draw.

VERY important IMO:  YOUR ANCHOR POSITION IS A RESULT OF THE DRAW AND NOT A TARGET FOR YOUR DRAW!!

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline heli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 02:54:00 PM »
Thanks Arne. I like your explanation with the circle. So because the hand doesn’t move on the face, by moving the elbow perpendicular to the arrow.
the circle, or the imaginary disk formed by this circle will just pivot around the hand, it’s center. Does this mean that this imaginary disk will be ideally cutting through the arrow so that elbow, hand arrow will be in the same plane as the disk? Am I getting this right?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 04:19:00 PM »
Yes, I think you have it.  The disk is level with the arrow in the horizontal but slightly tilted down in the vertical.  Said another way, your string elbow is in line with the arrow as seen from behind and slightly elevated.  Forearm is pointing slightly down at the bow hand center of pressure.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline heli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 07:38:00 AM »
Arne. I thought that the circle/disk was in the vertical plane, thanks for clarifying that was in the horizontal. I understand and thanks again.

Offline MPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »
Find yourself a good repeatable solid anchor. Everyone's face is different find something solid. I hear lots of folks talking about the corner of the Mouth that will work for some and not others. If you put your finger in corner of mouth then open and close your mouth you will feel your finger move all over. But if you bite down then it becomes more solid. You have to find what works for you. I like my cheek bone solid and don't move.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©