Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Gripping the Selfbow  (Read 1119 times)

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
Gripping the Selfbow
« on: August 31, 2017, 05:23:00 PM »
After noticing some erratic, corkscrew flight with one of my board bows, I switched from gripping the bow near the heel of my palm to further out on my thumb to get more clearance from the string.  I don't know if my terminology is correct but when I say the heel of my palm, the pressure point is basically the same as where it is when I execute a palm strike in martial arts -- bone contact.  The changed grip was almost like making a puppet hand and having the handle rest against the base of my thumb.  The difference in flight was outstanding.  Straight arrows, all the way to the target.  It's almost the same way I grip a recurve (like pictures I've seen of GF Asbell) but not quite the same.  for some of you who shoot selfbows, how do you grip the bow to keep the string off your arm?
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gripping the Selfbow
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »
For me, this grip will work for ALL bows regardless of grip style of the bow. And should solve the string question.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gripping the Selfbow
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 12:33:00 PM »
Very helpful, Arne.  Thank you.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©