Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Feather to nose - no goes  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Bentrider

• Trad Bowhunter
Feather to nose - no goes
« on: September 15, 2017, 05:15:00 PM »
I have been shooting a bow a long time and last year I decided to change a few things in my form. I shoot without a cant, instinctive (not a gap shooter) and split finger with a sams tab. I have never had an issue with target panic. I changed my anchor to a two point and my shooting has improved. I wanted to add a third point by touching my nose with a feather but I can't seem to make it happen. I made an arrow with a "cardboard" feather that I can move easily but my fingers are always in the way. Is a feather-to-the-nose anchor only possible for 3 under shooters?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feather to nose - no goes
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
Sounds to me that you are trying to manufacture an end point.  Feather to the nose is mostly an artificial position. Get your bones lined up (feel the let off when they do) then find your facial references.  "C" of the hand behind the jaw bone, index base knuckle under the cheek bone, and index or middle finger  in the corner of the mouth.  There are 4 reference points.  Feather on the nose may or may not be one.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 10:32:00 PM »
My own experience is that feather to nose only works for 3 under.  I tried it split, but as you said, my fingers kept getting in the way.  I think I remember some folks writing in that they use it split, and maybe they will chime in and say how they do that.  As Arne wrote, feather to nose is manufactured.  However, that's not all bad.  Using a clicker is manufactured too.  In both cases, you first determine your true draw length, as Arne said, and then set the clicker or the feather in the position such that it will activate (or touch your nose) when you reach full draw.  I like the feather to nose anchor, and have used it for years.   But then I shoot 3 under.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 06:06:00 PM »
I shoot split finger with a feather to nose anchor.  I'm not sure how it works for me but it does.  I just moved the feathers slightly forward on the shaft to get to full draw before the feather hits. My guess is that my form is so terrible that things line up where they shouldn't   :)
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 07:48:00 PM »
I shoot split and anchor with middle finger in corner of mouth.  Feather to top lip is how I am able to use the feather as trigger.  Everyone's face is different but there's no way I could get the feather to touch my nose shooting split.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 01:11:00 PM »
I shoot split, and nose to feather is one of my anchor points. Was sort of accidental for me... I started noticing that when my eye/arrow alignment and sight picture were good, my nose happened to touch the arrow.
I don't even know, or particularly care what point on the feather-I don't think it's necessarily just touching the back end, and I don't mess with moving the feather around to find out.
I'm recently finding it can work (for me) cock feather in, or cock feather out... and I'm not gonna think much about that, but shoot whichever works.
Like folks are saying, and usually do... we've all got different structures and styles. I think maybe my nose is on the longer side, I deliberately shoot with a high anchor, so it's an easy one for me. And it's one reference, not the whole show.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©