Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: High anchor question  (Read 1092 times)

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
High anchor question
« on: September 24, 2017, 07:21:00 PM »
Ive recently made improvement to my form thanks to Arne.  Wanting to have an aiming method that would work for me for deer hunting and 3d (finger must touch the arrow), i moved my nocking point up and started anchoring very high-- index finger curling around distal-- cupping my cheekbone to get a 20yd point on.  It works great- sometimes-- other times i find i struggle to get proper back tension and alignment and bad things happen-- left and right misses.  Is there a reason for this?  Ive found that index finger under cheekbone lets me glide back into back tension and the draw feels lighter-- i can use a crawl to get point on and seem more consistent--- should i stick with this or continue to keep trying to get high anchor to work?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: High anchor question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »
The optimum position is the target style, under the jaw anchor as used by Oly style shooters with sights.  As you have a higher hand position, the higher it is the less effective your back becomes.  In my experience, index finger under the cheek bone is about as high as you can go without compromising back tension.

I'd suggest that what you find is pretty common and one of the reasons that folks wishing to get a shorter point on is why they move toward fixed crawl or string wanking.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 09:04:00 PM »
Thanks Arne that confirms what ive been experiencing.  Since your previous advice ive put much more emphasis on form and have found the arrows just go straight down the pike--- elevation is my only concern in aiming as left and right is taken care of through form.  Ill stick to lower anchor.  Thanks again for your help!!

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 12:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by moebow:
fixed crawl or string wanking.

Arne
That made my morning.  Whether that was intentional or a typo, thanks for the laugh.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 05:24:00 PM »
Ya, saw that unintentional to be sure but.  I calls em as I sees em.     :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:  

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©