Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: 3 under help I guess  (Read 1636 times)

Offline killzthemost

• Trad Bowhunter
3 under help I guess
« on: September 25, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
Can anyone  help  me figure this out for me. Im shooting my A and H longbow 50# at 28" I pull 28 1/4 draw.  My arrrows are FMJ with 200 grain head total wt. Is 615 grains 176 FPS  . Ok at 10 yards I put my point 2" below my target hit it every time , 15 yards im dead on  20 yards 5" hold over the target dead on ? I do not unserstand these gaps ? But I can drill bottle caps at 10 , 15, 20 ?  Thanks guys.

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 under help I guess
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »
Sounds like you have a very high anchor with a 15 yard point on. Sounds like it is working for you. I run a 20 yard fixed crawl to get similar gaps to your setup. it is deadly in the woods if most of your shots on game is 20 yards and in. Sounds like a good hunting combo.
God Bless

Numunuu

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 03:44:00 PM »
With a 15 yard point-on, my guess is that you have a very high anchor.  Most people who use a middle finger in the corner of their mouth or a feather on the tip of their nose have about a 40-50 yard point-on.  Many of them would prefer a shorter point on for hunting, and struggle to get it down to 25 yards by using a fixed crawl or something of that nature.  The lower your anchor, the further out your point-on will be; the higher your anchor, the closer it will be.

Are you unhappy with your 15 yard point-on?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline killzthemost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 03:47:00 PM »
O my eye is very close to my arrow my ring finger is in the corner of my mouth at anchor.  Thanks man!!!! I was thinking I was doing it wrong.

Offline killzthemost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »
Yeah I am Happy with a 15 yard point on . I dont shoot game beyond 20 yards anyway  . I was just think I was doing something wrong. Thanks guys for you help in this and wisdom means a lot.

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 04:58:00 PM »
As long as you're hitting where you're aiming, and your broadheads are hitting with the field points...sounds like you're doing just fine to me.

However, My 2 cents... (probably worth more like 1.2 cents)

First off, its close to season I wouldn't change anything if you are shooting good. If you wont shoot past 20 and don't mind hold overs then no problem...carry on.

Personally though, I don't like holding over, so I like a point on of 25 yards. Holding over never seems to work for me (its a brain thing). Also I don't focus on the point per say. I put it towards the bottom of the chest (setting the vertical Point of impact), then focus on the spot I want to hit and my form, then shoot.  

I like having the gaps such that putting the arrow at the bottom of the chest from 0-20 yards kills the animal. The angle of the line of Point of aim (POA/where the tip is) and the angle of Point of impact (POI), seems to be somewhat self correcting to 20 yards or so. What I mean is... at close range the angle between the POI and POA is larger, and at further range the angle between the POI and POA is smaller. Basically this change in angle between POI and POA self compensates, so no matter what from 0-20 yards if I hold the point at the bottom of the chest I get a kill shot.

Then I put my point on at 25. Hold the top of the back at 30.

The one complication to this is that you need a properly sized deer target to calibrate... and its easy to hit high on small deer because I'm calibrated for a buck sized target. Also I hate standing bear targets.   :p

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 05:40:00 PM »
At the risk of muddying the water, I will offer a little more information (hopefully not TMI).  There aren’t too many people who could successfully use as high an anchor as you do, Jason.  The reason is because it makes it difficult to use your back muscles when your forearm is above your shoulder.  With a lower anchor, your forearm is more in line with your shoulder.  There is a discussion about this going on right now in the Shooters Form Forum.  So, as everyone seems to agree, go on using your high anchor as long as you like it, but if you reach a point where you feel like you’ve reached a plateau and your shooting is no longer improving, you might want to consider lowering your anchor and learning to live with a point-on that is further out.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline killzthemost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 06:03:00 PM »
Thanks guys McDave I fully understand, with   50#s I once just to test myself I could hold it back for at least 6 minutes and didnt mess my shot up . Use to shoot 70# but im 40 now and trying to take it easy and I dont 3d  shoot just a hunter that has a passion for whitetails and trad.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 07:19:00 PM »
If the arrow is flying straight and hitting the target, mission is accomplished.  Everything else is personal preference.

McDave's point about back tension, as I understand the idea, is less about strength and stamina and more about consistency in form, consistency in string tension and ease on your body.  Different string tension alters the shot.  Using arm muscles instead of back muscles could also contribute to some overuse injuries.  Your core muscles are where you get all your serious power and stamina.  Good runners, swimmers, boxers, cyclists, etc. all use their core for power and endurance -- not isolated muscles.

If you're consistently hitting bottle caps, then there's no arguing about accuracy or consistency.  If your shoulders or neck start to ache, you might want to look for a lower anchor.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline killzthemost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 04:30:00 PM »
The white cotton is my target. 21 yards. Just hope its good enough.  This my hunting arrow with broadhead I just my deer target a few times with a broadhead and I hate it. This target was new in march   :(   o well. Thanks guys for all your advise . God bless   [/url] [/IMG]

Offline killzthemost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 04:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by killzthemost:
The white cotton is my target. 21 yards. Just hope its good enough.  This my hunting arrow with broadhead I just hit my deer target a few times with a broadhead and I hate it. This target was new in march    :(    o well. Thanks guys for all your advise . God bless   [/url] [/IMG]

Offline killzthemost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 04:33:00 PM »
Sorry I messed my editing.  On a phone ugh.

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »
That is an absolutely deadly combination for close range hunting. good luck >>>----> Ken

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©