Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: I guess you'd call it target panic??  (Read 1488 times)

Offline GladwinHunter777

• Trad Bowhunter
I guess you'd call it target panic??
« on: October 01, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »
For the past year I've noticed when I shoot at my rinehart 18 side target, or other "bullseye" targets, that my eyes wander off of what I'm trying to focus on. There's been days where I'm lucky to keep 6 arrows on the whole rinehart because something grabs my eye and throws me off. But I can throw a pop can out in the yard and shoot lights out. I don't know if this is "target panic" or what, but do you guys have any suggestions for overcoming this?

Thanks
Caleb

Offline DocWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I guess you'd call it target panic??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 11:13:00 AM »
I have somewhat of the same issue. Somedays I shoot well at a target and others days not well at all. However, on those days I am not shooting the target well, I go into the woods and stump shoot. I typically always shoot well at objects, other than the target. This helps me keep my confidence up.  

I don't consider it to be target panic, because I make it to full draw, I can hold the anchor through my expansion and make a clean release. For me it is a focusing issue.

I can't offer any real advice, I don't shoot competition so it does not bother me.
"A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion."  Unknown

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 11:41:00 AM »
Aim small... Miss small... I think it has more to do with "focus" as apposed to your shooting!? I tell folks, I couldn't hit water, if I fell out of a boat. 3-D shoots are fun for me, but I rarely if ever score well, lol. I have trouble shooting around other people. (Family, friends, or strangers, makes no difference) I have a deer target in the back yard, some days I'm in, some days I'm out. (Some days WAY out!)

If I'm stumping alone, I usually can't miss! Lol! Hunting...?? If I shoot, I usually end up dragging something! (unless I do something TOTALY stupid, like attempting an awkward shot. Then I usually end up missing by FEET and the deer was never in any danger anyway!)

Try covering your target with a piece of paper, or cardboard. Put a little dime sized dot on it for a spot to focus on. Let us know how you do!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »
Possibly the problem is trying to shoot multiple arrows at the same target from the same place.  Make it more like stump shooting for a while and see if things improve.  Shoot one arrow at your Rinehart and then go and get it.  Move to a different place or move the Rinehart and shoot another arrow.  If that works, try shooting groups at the Rinehart again.  If things fall apart again, then you know you need to learn the skill of maintaining concentration while shooting groups, if you want to shoot groups.  The only reason you would really need to shoot groups is if you want to compete in events that require multiple shots at the same target from the same place.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 12:56:00 PM »
I have the same issue as Caleb. I don't shoot groups, just one arrow, then go get it. I think it is a focus/concentration thing. There's always something to work on!
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 12:56:00 PM »
I call it “wandering mind”. I lose my focus cause something comes into my brain housing group that is unrelated to the shot. It has gotten to a point that I am considering keeping score. How can that help? Well it puts some pressure on me to stay focused. On another note, I find smaller targets make me focus more for obvious reasons. Maybe one reason I like long shots at targets.

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 06:14:00 PM »
As you are coming to anchor visualize your entire arrow flight in reverse.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 09:24:00 PM »
Sometimes, we get bored with the same old daily routine, thus, our minds wander. Often, a brief change of scenery is all it takes to get focused in again.
Sam

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 09:34:00 PM »
No, not target panic,just lack of focus. New and different targets are way more interesting than spots and grab our attention better.>>--> Ken

Offline Alvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »
I don't aim my mind all ready knows where the arrow should go and my bow arm go's there.I concentrate more on form and pulling through ...Is this blasphemy saying this on this forum.
Hard work spotlights the character of people:some turn up their sleeves,some turn up their noses,and some don’t turn up at all.(Sam Ewing)

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Alvey:
I don't aim my mind all ready knows where the arrow should go and my bow arm go's there.I concentrate more on form and pulling through ...Is this blasphemy saying this on this forum.
No blasphemy in this corner.    :)    An older, fabulous archer told me several years ago that "Form is everything."  I've even got in my signature line.    :)

Offline GladwinHunter777

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 08:54:00 PM »
Again, you guys have been incredibly helpful. Thank you. For 2 days now I have shot at a small black dot on a white piece of paper and I can manage very respectable groups. This has helped me immensely. Its a great exercise to get that focus back.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 03:34:00 AM »
Next time you shoot, just take 1 arrow out with you.
"Groups" are for compound and target archers. The "key" to traditional archery & bowhunting, is consistancy. EVERY arrow goes right where you want it. The 1st shot is the only shot that counts. You rarely get a 2nd shot at a deer. And you certainly don't shoot groups at them. It's a concentration and consistancy mindset... Make the 1st shot count!
Keep us posted!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 12:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:
Next time you shoot, just take 1 arrow out with you.
"Groups" are for compound and target archers. The "key" to traditional archery & bowhunting, is consistancy. EVERY arrow goes right where you want it. The 1st shot is the only shot that counts. You rarely get a 2nd shot at a deer. And you certainly don't shoot groups at them. It's a concentration and consistancy mindset... Make the 1st shot count!
Keep us posted!
Yep...for most folks, everything changes when you transition from shootin' a bunch of arrows at a target - to - one shot, especially when you factor in the "noise" that permeates your brain as your watch that critter....looking, waiting, and hoping for a shot...can you feel yer heart thumpin?

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 09:12:00 AM »
For quite some time I have, like woodchucker, taken only one arrow when I shoot in the yard. It is a good reminder to make "this" shot the most focused shot possible.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©