Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Pinched nerve  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Rick Stevens

• Trad Bowhunter
Pinched nerve
« on: October 24, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »
Has anyone ever had a pinched nerve right under the shoulder blade from shooting their bow. I have been shooting my bow for about 4 months everyday. Thursday I went to an archery range that had some 3D targets to shoot at. It was an indoor place so when you missed the target it hit the concrete floor and ricocheted off sometimes breaking. I shoot instintive but was starting to lose some arrows because of misses. I changed my anchor about one inch so that I would be shooting gap. Draw length was same but I moved up about an inch on my face. Could this have caused the pinched nerve?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pinched nerve
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 11:02:00 AM »
The most common problem that causes people to have to stop shooting the bow is a shoulder injury.  Rotator cuff injuries are difficult to repair and tend to reoccur.  Best to avoid them.  Shoulder injuries are best avoided by learning to draw using the back muscles, and not over-bowing oneself.  Drawing to a high anchor makes it more difficult to properly engage the back muscles.  If you want to use a high anchor, it is best to draw towards a lower anchor and then raise your drawing hand to your actual anchor as you come to full draw.  Start by pointing your bow hand at the target, then draw towards your chest, raising your drawing hand to anchor as you complete your draw.  The path of your drawing hand should make a valley shaped curve, first moving downward and then upward toward the end of your draw.

Overuse can also be a problem.  I see that you have been shooting the bow every day for 4 months.  Did you start shooting the bow 4 months ago?   Hopefully your problem is just overuse, which can be cured by laying off for a while until the problem goes away, and then by building rest days into your schedule.

When you start shooting again, you might want to get some training in using your back muscles, either in a class or on the Internet.  Arne Moe has an excellent series of videos on this and other subjects.  There are also devices available, such as the Formaster, which will help you to become aware of and use your back muscles.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline BMorv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 05:01:00 PM »
I pinched a nerve under my trap muscle close to the spine a few years back (unrelated to shooting a bow).  When I would shoot daily, it would inflame and cause me pain for a few days after.  A few months ago I posted a question here about the pain I was getting, and Arne Moe informed me that I wasn't using my back muscles at all and this was likely not helping my pain.  I was skeptical that my form was the source of the pain, but I figured I needed to learn to use my back muscles anyway.  
Well, it turns out that was the main source of my problem.  Now that I'm using my back muscles and coming to full draw my body feels in balance as opposed to cramping all of the muscles together and re-aggravating the nerve.  I can shoot everyday without pain now, and I'm a better shot.  
McDave's response seems spot on.  It worked for me.  
Having a downhill draw as opposed to an uphill draw was the most helpful tip for me to engage my back muscles.
Life is too short to use marginal bow wood

Offline Rick Stevens

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 01:01:00 AM »
Back is beginning to feel a little better now. Going to Chiropractor everyday for treatment and the pain pills have helped.
I bow hunted most of my life but put it down for about 18 years. Just recently wanted to get back into it so I started shooting again about 4 months ago. When I said I shot everyday that means about 12-15 arrows in a practice period. I will check out the Moe videos..

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »
Excellent advise here. Glad you are doing better. Just keep in mind how much more weight you can pull at chest level than over your head. Hope you continue to progress. Be careful of continuing the activity while on pain meds. It may mask symptoms and lead to real injury.>>>---> Ken

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©