3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: **Acadian Woods** Need some help deciding on a riser wood to go with black glass!!  (Read 652 times)

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
Well, I have a Acadian Woods one piece Tree Stick on order and I was going to go with wenge for the riser with bamboo core limbs and red elm laminates on belly and back under clear glass.

I think I have decided to go with a dull black glass over three laminates of bamboo for my limbs....I know, I know! Black glass on a beautiful Acadian...are you crazy! LOL!

I have had some other bows with this dull black glass and it just does something for me. I had a MOAB with bacote handle and black glass, I have a Kim Sha with chechan handle and black glass, and a few others and I LIKE IT!

I'm thinking maybe coco bolo, or bacote, or ???.

What do you guys/gals think? any suggestions?

Picures would be great, also.

Thanks, Mike    :campfire:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ebony with Coco stripe
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
This is the only bow I own with black glass.....Charcoal dymondwood riser with maple and black glass stripes.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline NomadArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Gaboon ebony and birdseye maple or ebony and osage or dark cocobolo or rosewood with osage.

Ziricote or bacote and curly maple would be nice too  :)

Black glass with a matte finish looks great to me too.    :campfire:  

good luck picking out your new longbow.

Ken

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
what about Osage, I think that would go great with black glass

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
Ebony or any other black wood.  I think an all black bow wood be cool.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Osage was the first thing that came to my mind too.  Looks great with black!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
My vote would go to cocobolo or bocote. The black glass is subdued, and would really set off a figured riser. I like that combo myself.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
black palm is really nice :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Micarta, Bob Morrison has recently made several risers out of black micarta. They are quite interesting and will sure stand up.
hunt it

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
Hmmmm, charcoal dymondwood.     :notworthy:    

Another thing is Tim Mullins puts that limb accents inlays about 12" and up of the tip, and the same from the riser down the belly of the limbs a little ways, hence the reason for dark red coco bolo.

Keep'um coming fellas.

Mike

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
I agree with Guru, the charcoal dymondwood looks sweet with the black glass and ya have an indestructable riser as well. Shawn
Shawn

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Zebrawood would look cool
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Cocobolo would be my choice, particularly if you can get a really reddish piece with black stripes/grain in it.  Will really complement and contrast to the limbs at the same time.  I have a Hill that does just that.  Good luck.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
I had Chris at Lewis Hollow make me a recurve with charcoal dymondwood , bamboo limbs under black glass a couple years ago. It was a sharp bow.

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
As I was in the woods today I got to thinking that the predominant color of the vertical stuff(trees) was black, charcoal and grey.  The floor of the forest was shades of brown(dead leaves).  The horizontal stuff (limbs) were same as the trees.  Duh!  I wished that I had made my ghille suit with mostly the black/grey/charcoal colors. I used tan, black, brown, green, and orange burlap.  I think it would have looked more like trees as I am tall, and mostly verticle.  My point is that I think the bow would look more like the other verticle and horizontal lines if it was black too. It is also a color scheme that pleases my eye greatly.  I find myself liking the grey diamondwood and black limbs very much.
pine nut

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
Olivewood and charcoal Dymondwood would be sharp as would Bacote and figured Myrtle for something different.

For reds, hard to beat a good piece of yew matched up with an ebony accent and black glass.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
Bubinga with a bocote swoop.  My hunting bow this year.  I think black glass accents the overlays and workmanship in the riser.  Chad

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Bought a MOAB this year, went with black glass, bamboo actionwood limbs and the charcoal dymondwood riser.

Love it.  Classy looking bow.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Have you seen Killies Morrison With the spalted maple?Its on the Morrison website and looks to be black micarta mixed with the spalted maple and it looks deadly.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©