3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good canoes or small boats for hunting?  (Read 6871 times)

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Good canoes or small boats for hunting?
« on: December 22, 2006, 11:11:00 AM »
I was wondering how may of you use a canoe or small boat for hunting?

Looking at getting a Creek Boat but want to see if there is anything else out there that I may be a better option.

Chris

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good canoes or small boats for hunting?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 11:18:00 AM »
I'm looking at the SPORTSPAL canoe from BWMarine. The 16 footer weighs less than 60lbs. and can carry 1000# ! There's a few coves that I wanna reach into  and a creek to cross. May wind up with the 14 though...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline aYak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 11:59:00 AM »
Check out Kpaul's avator, we picked up this boat used, having been just retired from the WV Navy and boy has that come in handy, both fishing deer out of the pond, and getting them all the way back without having an infarction. The video of him coming in with a big mac draped across the front is awesome.  This link 'might' work:
 http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f206/ayakub/?action=view¤t=PB070003.flv
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 01:03:00 PM »
I want to get a Sportspal, too. Had one many years ago and loved it. When the time is right here is where I'll be getting mine, Billy.

http://www.castlecraft.com/main.htm
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 01:59:00 PM »
Chris,

I use a canoe/kyak hybrid to hunt on some locations of the local wildlife areas, it all but removes the competition. The boat is a 15 ft Stalker, kevlar smooth belly about 60#s. It excels in shallow marshes and lakes but works well in rivers, just does not track as well as a canoe.

Sean

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 02:26:00 PM »
I use a canoe quite a bit here in the south.  If you want to give it a try without wasting a bunch of money, do like I did several years back, pick up a second hand Coleman canoe.  It has a keel and fairly flat bottom so it is stable and tracks pretty well.  If I'm going far, I'll often clamp a little trolling motor on it and you can get fairly far without sweating yourself up on the way in.  The polyethelene hull is made for rapids, but it is quite - just don't go clanking on the aluminum braces.  Will hold two hunters, with gear, including tree stands, plus a deer/hog or two.  It does open up a lot of territory in some places and makes for a quite entrance and a lot easier than dragging a deer a long way.  Steve

Offline JStark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 02:30:00 PM »
My wife is the expert canoeist/kayaker.  She bought us a 16' Wenonah kevlar Aurora, and that is the nicest boat I've ever floated, bar none.  It also weighs 40lbs.  This year I will bowfish the Feather River with it.  
If you decide on a kayak, and have to choose between a medium quality boat with cheap gear or really good gear and a lower quality boat, get the good gear.  A good, light paddle for a hundred bucks more makes a much, much bigger difference than an extra hundred spent on a boat.  BTW, my kayak is a Perception Sundance, an inexpensive boat that paddles wonderfully.
Though I am partial to American companies that focus on good watercraft, any little boat adds a dimension to hunting, and therefore any boat will do.  They all have personalities, and the views you get make the trip worth it every time.  
One last little piece of advice:  Practice before you put your hunting equipment in it!
Through education, appreciation;
through appreciation, protection.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 03:09:00 PM »
I think hunting with a canoe enhance's your hunting experience   :thumbsup:

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 03:17:00 PM »
aYak - Where did you find a lake on the side of a cliff like that? LOL

I plan on building this one when I get a shop done.  prospector
Got wood? - Tom

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 03:19:00 PM »
I've got a poke boat that I float down the creeks and sloughs around here.  http://www.pokeboat.com/

Mine is called The Maxi Poke boat.
Its a pretty cool little ride. Only weighs 30lbs, and holds 500lbs.  I've ran mine in as little as 4" of water.  

I mainly use it for running juglines and trotlines for catfish in the spring and summer in places that modern boats can't really go because of mystery stumps and low water areas.

This fall I've been taking it up remote creeks looking for new places to hog and squirrel hunt, and I packed it full of gear and was never pressured for space. I really enjoy it.

Cam

Offline aYak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 03:34:00 PM »
Tom,
That's a beaver pond (just recently remodeled by the beavers after a few hurricanes) that sits between two hi-walls on a property that had a coal-drag-line pulled thru it about 40-50 years ago...makes for some exciting deer drags.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 04:05:00 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone. I like the looks of the Sportspal with the square transom.

aYak, Great video, and also liked those other pics and vids you have.

Ron and Sean, Those are some awesome pics.

I really appreciate everyones help. This has given me some options to chose from when I am ready buy.

Chris

Offline oneeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 07:08:00 PM »
I mainly use a 12' square stern Radisson and love it. I have an old 3 horse that powers it along when I want or it paddles very nicely (if the front is properly weighted). I also have a 12' square stern fiberglass made by "Cranberry Creek" in Wisconsin. That is also a nice ride. They both get used hard during the trapping season and have held up to the abuse.

Offline oneeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 07:11:00 PM »
I have also used a 10' aluminum jonboat with the 3 horse before. I found out quickly that with the kicker, traps, gear and my fat butt in that little skiff it was WAY overloaded!

Online 3dmuzzy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 07:21:00 PM »
Nothing like the view from a canoe. 12ft radisson super light and very stable
Put some air under it.

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 07:40:00 PM »
Chris,
Here's a boat I built a couple of years ago that's great for getting up in those tight spots:   http://sports.webshots.com/photo/1154446908054848947seOWfg  

It's 13'6' long and stable enough to stand up in and cast a rod.

You can do it, too! - drop me a line and I'll walk you through it.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 08:00:00 PM »
I spend a lot of time bowhunting with a   Bell Morningstar  

Light(55lbs)royalex for durability, asymetrical design, good capacity, stable, and a tandem that can be easily paddled solo.  One of the most versitile canoes made.  I can easily handle this boat myself or fit two people with gear.  I have yet to have two people and two deer in it at the same time, but I'm sure it would work with the right placement.     :)
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 08:13:00 PM »
to expand on this theme a bit... and let me start by saying I'm green as grass with the question... does anyone use a canoe for standup bowfishing?   I'd like to, but I have the impression that they're way too tippy to be standing up in.

dick in seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 08:30:00 PM »
Dick,

When shooting archery from a canoe wearing a bathing suit is mandatory....
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2006, 08:40:00 PM »
Ron, I particularly like your second pix.  Wood and Canvas.  Nothing like it.  I build them.  My poke around boat is 12 1/2 feet long and 34 inches wide.  Stable and fairly light.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©