3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: this is why we hunt  (Read 769 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: this is why we hunt
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 06:45:00 AM »
Biggie,
      i doubt very much you could see what we see as hunters in the outdoors, scenery, critters, weather and all if you were not hunting. would you really sit for 5 hours in the cold if you were not hunting? as far as fishing without catching fish have you ever fly fished in April?
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2007, 06:48:00 AM »
I like to be in the outdoors, but I'm pretty serious about taking game to fill my freezer. I spend a lot of time and money on hunting so i need to offset this by providing meat for the table. I enjoy the scenery more when i know that i have a high percentage setup and not just a pretty spot.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline bearhair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2007, 07:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by adkmountainken:
i doubt very much you could see what we see as hunters in the outdoors, scenery, critters, weather and all if you were not hunting.
I am fortunate to own and live on 200 acres.  I have seen more interesting aspects of nature while going for my Sunday morning leisurely walks through the woods than I do hunting.  When I hunt it is to take a deer so I focus my attention where I think the deer are.  All other times of the year I can enjoy all the areas of the property which is a mix of mature hardwoos, mature conifers, beaver swamps, old fields.  Thus, I get to see a greater diversity of critters and scenery than when hunting.  I guarentee you I would not be watching a river otter playing in a beaver pond if I was deer hunting because deer don't walk on water in the middle of a beaver pond.

The reason I choose to own 200 acres is so that I can live and raise my family in nature and enjoy the sights and sounds of the wild 365 days a year.  That means I have a heck of a long commute to work but it is a sacrifie I'm willing to make.  When I hunt it is to take a deer.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »
In todays modern world we have created for ourselves an unnatural environment; but God created man to be part of nature. And although we may survive in our big citys and urban neighborhoods, we need the wilderness to help keep us mentally healthy.  
I wrote this some time ago as part of my description of my hunting camp ShrewHaven. For me, when I'm hunting, I've stepped out of the modern world where everyone seems to be in a rush to go somewhere as fast as they can. I'm transformed to a place of peace and quiet. A place where I can see the beauty of nature and watch the wild things  in their natural environment. We can go to the zoo and observe  animals in an unnatural environment but here in the wild we see them as they were meant to be and we can be a part of that world as a predator. We become hunters as our ancestors were.

In early times if a hunter wasn't successful in his hunt his family went hungry. That's not true today but still we have that drive to be a successful hunter. When we take game there's a feeling of  accomplishment and pride, our goal has been reached, our family has meat.  But even if we're not successful in taking an animal we're better for having been out there observing the beauty of nature, and even if only for a short time being part of a natural experience.

http://www.shrewbows.com/shrewhavenlodge.html
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline trapper1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
Hunting....the word in itself congures up visions of killing or harvesting game. I call myself a bowhunter and take it seriously. I do not say to people " I'm going out nature watching tonight, I tell them I'm going bowHUNTING. My main goal when going out in the bush is to harvest game, moose, deer, rabbits...whatever. I truly do enjoy and cherish the sights and sounds that are offered out there,  I have had 4 registered traplines in northern Ontario covering over a total of 400+ square miles and have seen more unique sights than most. These have not gone unnoticed or unappreciated. When I was on the traplines my main goal was to harvest furbearing critters to maintain a healthy balance and uphold the quotas mandatory for the line, not to just watch and be an observer. The word "traditional bowhunter" congures up a vision of a purist, a hunter getting back to the simpler times.....These people back then didn't grab their bow to go out and watch a crystal clear spring babbling down a hill side, they went out to kill. I wonder how many of the people saying they're in it only for the pure joy of being one with nature are using this saying as a crutch for not being successful. This is a great site and I know I will be bashed for writing this....but that is my true feelings so let me have it if you want...  :knothead:    :knothead:  
Trapper
Just remember, if you're gonna be stupid ....you gotta be tough...

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
Ron, Thanks for the "Shrewhaven Post".

For me it's  comparable to a holiday meal with the main course (turkey or ham) being the animal we're hunting and all the "fixin's that go with the meal being the environmet we are hunting in at the time. It's a better meal when you have it all! If you just get the fixin's after a while it isn't satisfying. If you're seeing game especially with close encouters it is much better. It's a "real meal" if you get your main course! That being said, fixin's  are better than no meal at all!  :thumbsup:
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
mmgrode pretty much took the words right out of my head.  

Ron Laclair too.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
Naturally the kill is the frosting on the cake but a day in the woods without taking game is still a successful day. It's definitely better than most days not spent in the woods. We're willing to spend hours sitting in a treestand in anticipation of taking an animal. Who among you have never fantasized about that buck of a lifetime coming into your shooting lane? It's the anticipation and hope of success that keeps me out there.

For those that say they're not out there for the scenery but rather the kill, maybe they need to watch   Primal Dreams again.    :archer:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline trapper1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
Ron, feel sorry for me if you wish to, but I venture out for the chance at a harvest. I do not go out for the scenery, let's face it, for those of us that have limited area to hunt and sit on the same stand day in and day out...the scenery gets pretty boring quickly. Any day in the bush beats the best day a work for sure. No one will every convince me to go hunting for scenery, If that is the only reason to get in the bush, they can save the extra tags for me.  ;)

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
Back when I was in High School,(man, that was a while ago)I read an article in "Outdoor Life" magazine. The article went over the 7 phases of a hunter. I can't remember all of them. The first phase was learning how to hunt and the last was remembering the hunts. I hope one of you guys or gals can fill in the blanks. I would hate to try and fill in the blanks because I'm sure I would miss a couple. I suspect, that we are all in our own phase as hunters. I hope someone can find those 7 phases, I believe there is alot of truth in them.

Offline trapper1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
RRock, there is an awful lot of truth in those words, having solely bowhunted for the last 31 years I can appreciate the various phases and I have seen a lot of those phases that I have already gone through, as I'm sure Ron and a pile of other trad gangers can agree with.
I pass up on an awful lot of game through out the year and it may sound a little hypocritical on my behalf. Yes I suppose it is not ALL ABOUT THE KILL, as one time nothing would have walked by me without me taking advantage of it. But I still go out primarily for the kill, those kills come a little farther apart now that I watch more and let more leave, but I'm not there for the scenery, or to become one with nature, I appreciate a nice sunset,and watching a bird lite on my arrow, or pull parts of burlap off my ghillie suit for its nest, but I'm a bowhunter, we can't forget that, the reason I'm there at that moment in time is for one thing, and one thing only... the scenery and all its splendor is just an added bonus.

:goldtooth:  Trapper

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
trapper 1, I think we're on the same page just expressing it it a different way.   :readit:

A lot of my hunting time nowadays are spent with friends in hunting camp.   :campfire:   It's time spent hunting but also sitting around in the evening after a great shared meal telling of each others experience of the day or reminiscing of other times and other hunts.

Solitary hunting on the other hand I think brings a person closer to the wilderness experience. After a few days of hunting alone in a remote area, I feel myself becoming more in tune with what's going on around me. I start to hear every sound and wonder what caused it, I find myself looking more intently at things around me, and there are  times I even catch myself sniffing the wind. I think we have senses of hearing, seeing and smelling that long ago hunters probably had that have become dormant because they are not needed in our normal modern world. I believe these   can be awakened after a time alone in the wild.

It's the whole package, the animals, the environment, the hunting experience and the kill that keeps me out there.   :archer:

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2007, 05:29:00 PM »
Yep...I too enjoy camp more as I age gracefully :-) but I think the squirrel watchers get carried away with watching the squirrels play in the trees and revel in the flora and mmmmmiss the deer sneaking by behind them sometimes.

I never meant to say I don't enjoy the view, but that's not why I carry my bow to the woods.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »
I'm staying out of this one , I have my reasons and expectations and I'm sure everyone else does . What those things mean to each of us is as different as we all are.  Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2007, 06:12:00 PM »
Ken if ya feel that way carry a camera, sorry but Biggie and i agree for a change. I love all the sights, sounds and smells, but the statment was "this is why we hunt" and sorry but that is not why I or others hunt, if that was it we would all carry cameras into the woods.Shawn
Shawn

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2007, 06:51:00 PM »
Drewsbow said what I think.  :D
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
5 stages of hunter progression

1) Shooting (Learning their weapon and looking for any type of success)
2) Limiting out (Filling all tags/limits)
3) Learning techniques (Seeking out ways to become a better hunter)
4) Trophy hunting (Killing the biggest, etc)
5) Sportsman (This is where the hunter acknowledges the fact that he/she can become the supreme predator, and the kill no longer becomes the sole reason why we hunt.)
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
well where do i start. i have to laugh at Trappers comment that we are only there for scenery becouse we lack the skills to kill a deer! sheesh, ya really nailed that one! as Drew said it means different things to many people. no one can speak for me, Shawn can speak for the rest of ya i guess. i know why i'm out there and it is not for the kill although the kill happens sometimes along the way. i am there to reconnect with the old ways, the simpler ways that have all but disappeared. and yes i do carry my camera and use it constantly. why do those of you insist that to hunt means only to kill? maybe for you but please don't think you speak for individuals. i can only relate on what things mean to me although i know there are many like me as i talk with and hunt with them and it is the company i prefer. i have killed my share of slammers and trophies, now its the solace and meaning of life i hunt and let me clue ya that is one tuff hunt! people are different and go about things different ways including hunting. this is a picture of a porcupine sound asleep on a branch overhanging the middle of a trail i was walking. this was a memorable hunt.

this was a pic of a wren that flew along side me for about 20 minutes while i still hunted. this was a great hunt!

these things are why i am out there. i have been taught MANY lessons by the animals that most people would roll their eyes at and think i'm full of crap but i know better and thats what counts! i feel different about the woods and waters then most but that is my thing, that is why i am there. sorry to ramble but i don't like words put in my mouth.

Offline trapper1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
Ron, I do believe we're both on the same page here, your last post was spot on...thanks.

adkmountainken-I believe I said, "I wonder how many people use this phrase because they are unsuccessful" nowhere did I say EVERYONE, or lacking in skills. although I am still curious as to the numbers.
I expected to get a bashing for my thoughts and that's fine, everyone is entitled to there opinions, I believe that I have inadvertantly hijacked this site so I will leave this post alone.
Happy hunting, (whatever that may means to each)
Trapper  :thumbsup:

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
no need for bashing, its good to talk and see others thoughts and insights. as i said i just wanted to clarify that to "HUNT" means different things to different people, we are not all alike in thoughts and feelings. good luck to you this season and good luck on the trap line!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©