3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A question about the DAS bows  (Read 679 times)

Offline denny

• Trad Bowhunter
A question about the DAS bows
« on: November 25, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
I'm trying to get a feel for the yardage increase vs accuracy the das bows offer over a stickbow.  I decided to use a wheel bow for a year or two elk hunting because I can use the range increase it gives me. As many here know they offer a level of accuracy that is well beyond what is needed and I wondered if experienced das shooters would offer their opinions on whether or not the das bows would allow me to get what I need. I hunt solo and have more than once had the large bulls hang up around 45 yards which is a bit beyond my comfort zone with the stick. I'm comfortable out to around 35 with the longbow and well over 70 with the x-force, any opinions on where a das would land me once I had it tuned and spent some time with it.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A question about the DAS bows
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
Denny,
I am mainly a longbow shooter.  Have been most of my life other than my  few brief affairs with recurves.  Bought a DAS earlier this year and practiced with it a fair amount in spring and early summer.  My 53# DAS has about the same cast as my 60# longbow from what I saw.  As far as accuracy.... I am still hunting with my longbow.  Nice shootin' bow, but no magic bow if that is what you are looking for. JMHO  dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline ROB TAYLOR

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
No traditional bow will automatically "give" you effective range.  The key advantage the DAS and some other metal-risered bows give you is their adjustability.  This, in turn, allows you to more easily (and probably more completely) achieve a perfect tune.  Having shot a perfectly tuned bow next to what I used to think was perfectly tuned, I'll tell you that it may make you feel like you can stretch the effective range some....and some may be able to.  I found that I was able to become more consistent, day in and day out....out to my effective range.

Another advantage offered by the DAS line and some others is the use of olympic style limbs.  The technology used and the performance and feel attained thereby offer more of that sought after consistency.

And the last of the three most critical advantages offered by this bow is the stiffness of the riser material.  This leads to less vibration and thus less wasted energy and noise.

Couple a DAS riser with some premium limbs, learn to REALLY tune, shoot lots of practice, and you'll be on your way.

-Rob
>>>--TGMM-Family of the Bow--->

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Offline denny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
Thanks guy's,,,  You hit the nail on the head Dino, I think I was hoping for a magic bow. denny

Offline Jhoneil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
It is a magic bow  :p  I have owned a lot of bows and I can shoot more consistently from one shot to the next with my Dalaa. I can go out to 45 yards w/o a sight and still get a pie plate size group.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
I shoot a Dalaa and an Elite.They are the finest shooting recurves I've ever tried and I've tried a bunch.I may take some heat for saying it but if I knew I was going to be shooting 45 yards at elk I think I would stick with the compound.My comfort zone is more like 30 yards or less.I have made a lot of good shots at longer range. I just might not be able to do it every time.

Offline John 4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 11:50:00 PM »
I sold my hunter,I could/can shoot circles around it with my "old" hoyt recurve.
Their just another bow.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
I have added about ten yards to my effective range with the DAS. It is a magic bow. I have been shooting for over half a century and have shot and owned lots of bows. I can tell you this, if you do not mess it up, that is, play with the tillering and try to do "things" to it it can be very much just another bow. However, if you have it tuned correctly, tillered properly you will have a shooting experience that will surprise you. In addition, various qualities of ILF limbs can be put on the bow affecting the shooting characteristics. My first DAS had Hoyt G3 limbs that were dogs compared to the Winex limbs that are on my bow and my wife's. My wife shoots 45# @ 26" and her bow shoots right up there with any number of high end bows that I have that are 60+ at 28". If you are a person who is not good with tuning and doesn't understand tillering then the bow can be a headache. I had a fellow bring a Dalaa over to "fix". He had trouble setting it up. When I got it it had me stumped for a while until we set it up for even tiller. The bow came to life at that point. I think they are amazing bows and, in response to  your original question I have found that I can get about 10 more yards added to my effective range. Part of it is the cast, part of it is the stability, and part of it is the limbs you choose to put on it. I am not saying that anyone here who has posted that the bow is not "magical" isn't capable of tuning...but my experience has been that those that have trouble getting top performance with them really had the same trouble with that issue to begin with and I have found myself educating people about such things as tiller, nocking points, brace height, bare shafting, etc.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
I would like to add this as it may help. Most of my bows have  been in the 65-70# range shooting arrows at around 600 grains. My point on  with them, shooting split fingers, achoring in the corner of my mouth, is about 60 yards. My 60# DAS bow, shooting 600 grain Beman or Axis arrows is point on at about 75 yards...and more accurate.

Offline denny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
Thank you for the responses guy's this is a first class forum and why I ask the question here. I need to buy one and give it a go and will probably do that prior to the 09 season depending on what happens next year.

Offline Jhoneil1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
The funny thing is that I did not like the bow the first month or so of ownership. It took a while to get used to it but now I can't think of a better bow.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
I have to agree with dino--there ain't no magic bows.  There's no substitute for time spent behind the bow, whichever one you choose.

I've shot the DAS, and it's a nice bow, but just like any other--accuracy is not in the bow, it's in the monkey holding it.  Do your part with tuning, matching the arrow to the bow, etc. and the arrow is going to go where you point it.

I'm sure it's "magic" to some--just like you can find someone who feels their favorite is "magic" to them, from the fanciest recurve to the most simple selfbow.  From that perspective, I have a selfbow that is magic to me, but I'd never claim that everyone that shot it would feel the same.  If that was the case, ever archer who ever tried it would be shooting one.

It's been said time and again--target shooting is seeing how far you can get from the target and still hit it.  Bowhunting is about getting so close you can't miss.  I know that's a lot easier said than done, but that's what it boils down to.  If it were easy, everyone would be doing it and we'd get bored in no time and be hunting with cockleburrs shot from rubber bands to get the challenge back.

Looks like you have it figured out--the only way to know for sure if it's "the" bow for you or not is try it and see.  Good luck!

Chad

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
For 45 yard shots I would say you need to practice a lot. Then practice even more. A Das alone is not going to do it. An anchor that gives you a 45 yard "point on" might be helpful though you may suffer at closer yardage.

I dont just have a single comfort zone. I have 2. From 0 to 30 I can shoot pretty good instinctive. At 45-55 I am back in a comfort zone because I can aim off my arrow point using a point of aim system. That said I would not take a shot at an animal at that distance unless everything was perfect and I had marked the yardage off before hand and practiced the shot recently and felt confident my bow and my self were in tune. There is just too much to go wrong at that distance.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
I had one for a season, last year. If you shoot a lot of 3D or targets you might want one. I've been hunting over 40 yrs. shot lots of different Bows too but mainly just hunt. To me the object of that is getting as close as possible.

While I don't hunt much in the mountains any more I do walk a fair bit looking for Moose. It was too heavy for me.

Late season for Whitetails when the big guys are moving and its -20* it was pretty cold with that metal riser.

While I shot it pretty good I didn't feel it was worth the expense compared to other bows that will get the job done for less $$. Just my $.02.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 06:26:00 AM »
See where the metal riser and adjustable arrow rests are leading you guys? 45 yard shots at game.

:(
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Rod Jenkins

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 06:53:00 AM »
Hmmm,, if that were the case, I have to wonder what lead Howard Hill and a lot of our pioneers, to farther that 45 yd shots on game?
I dont feel 45 yds with ANY stickbow is prudent, however.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
Biggie: Took a ten pointer at 22 yards with my DAS...longest shot I have taken. Moose this year was 20, deer was 15....the squirrel I shot from the back door was 75 or so but that was shooting point blank. You are right. Guys shouldn't be shooting too far. But the most telling thing about the bows' performance is how my wife shoots hers at 45#@ 26" and gets pass thrus on bear and deer with four blade heads. Her bow shoots as hard as any number of bows I own that are 10-15#'s heavier.

Offline Jhoneil1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »
"See where the metal riser and adjustable arrow rests are leading you guys? 45 yard shots at game."

Well, I actually said I can have a pie plate size group at 45 yards. Nothing about shooting game at 45 yards. I am just saying that the bow can give you accuracy at that range. That is not a bad thing if you can get close to less than 20 yards to shoot at game.

In any case, it's not the bow or the riser material - there is no substitute to tuning and practice:

60 yard group with my Don Brown Kobra Striker.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »
I've seen several folks post the chrono numbers on their DAS and the numbers looked average to me so I just don't buy the "hits as hard as bows 10-15# heavier".  If a 45# DAS will shoot a 500gr arrow as fast as my 60# Palmer ... I'll eat it, I mean buy one.

Offline X2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
I have had the elite, and the hunter, and have neither now.  I thought the idea of adjustability and being able to use olympic limbs would be great, but as other have said there is no magic bow.  It takes time and practice to become a good shooter.  I will stick to my wood longbows and recurves.
Support your local clubs.

Lifetime member of Idaho Traditional Bowhuters.

Lifetime member of Idaho State bowhuters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©