INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Meat rub recipes  (Read 1689 times)

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
Meat rub recipes
« on: May 22, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
Anyone got a good meat rub recipe? I just got a new Holland grill and would like to try it out smoking something but don't have a good meat rub.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Meat rub recipes
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
For Pork, enough for one shoulder or two racks of ribs: 2 cups of Brown Sugar, 2 Tbs. Garlic Powder, 2 Tbs. Onion Powder, 1 tsp.Powdered Thyme, 1/2 tsp.Black Pepper, 1/2 tsp.White Pepper, couple of pinches Cayenne Pepper.

For Chicken, enough for 2 whole chickens, or parts thereof:  1/2 cup Brown Sugar, 1/4 cup Salt, 1/4 cup Chile Powder, 1 Tbs. Garlic Powder, 1 Tbs. Onion Powder, 1 tsp. Black Pepper.

For Beef, enough for 1 Whole Brisket:  1 cup Brown Sugar, 1/2 cup Chile Powder, 1/4 cup Dry Mustard, 1/4 cup Garlic Powder, 1/4 cup Onion Powder, 1 Tbs. Black Pepper, 1 Tbs. White Pepper, 1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper.

Brine for Pork and Chicken:  1 Gallon Water, 1 Gallon Apple Juice, 2 cups Brown Sugar, 2 cups Salt.  Stir until solids are disolved.  Brine Pork up to 12 hours then rinse off and pat dry.  Brine Chicken for up to 4 hours, then rinse off and pat dry.  Then apply the rub.

Slather for Brisket:  1 cup Worcestershire Sauce, 1 cup Dijon Mustard.  Stir until combined and paint it on the brisket before applying the rub.

When preparing your smoker and lighting your fire, take the meat out of the fridge while the fire is going.  It is best to get the meat to room temperature before going into the smoker, it will give you a faster cooking time, and a move even cook as well.

Pork Shouler, between 4 and 14 hours depending upon size and temperature  of cook chamber.  You want to Mop/Spray it after 3 hours, then foil it at 160, then pull it off at 195.  After pulling it off, wrap again in foil, then place in an empt cooler to rest for up to 4 hours before pulling.

Chicken, between 2 and 4 hours depending upon size of pieces, size of whole bird, and temperature of cook chamber.  Mop/Spray after 45 minutes, then watch it close.  When juices are clear, it is done.  Let it rest.

Brisket is done in up to 24 hours.  Place on a rack, over a drip pan, fat side down for first 3 hours, then turn over.  Mop/Spray every 1 to 2 hours.  Foil at 165, then pull it off at 190-195, then wrap again in foil and place in an empty cooler for up to 4 hours before slicing.

Mop/Spray for Pork and Chicken:  1 part Apple Juice, 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar, 1/4 part rub.

Mop/Spray for Brisket:  1 stick of melted butter, 2 cups Apple Juice, 2 cups Beef Broth.

Mop/Spray use a BBQ mop, basting brush, or a spray bottle, which is what I use, it's just easier.

Enjoy.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »
Thanks Al!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
No problem.  Also, try to maintain a chamber temperature between 200 and 250 degrees.  220-225 is optimal.  Some are going the hot and fast route, but I'm schooled in the old ways.  

For wood, I prefer the fruit woods, peach, apple, pear, and hickory.  Some like mesquite, but I think it's a little too harsh for smoking.  Also, some only penetrates the meat for the first 3 hours of cooking.  So you can keep using wood, or continue with just lump charcoal.  NEVER, EVER use quick light briquettes, or fluid when starting your fires, the end product will taste of petroleum/creosote.

Enjoy!!
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
Al Dente has a superb rub! I can attest to this.Give his formula a try, you won't regret it. Thanks Al!

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »
Thanks Matt.  I'm finally getting to use you're gift this weekend.  Looking forward to it.

Like anything in life or cooking for that matter, rubs, mops, and sauces are all personal choices.  If you like it hot, add more hot pepper, if you dislike garlic, omit it.  They're basic recipes that work well for me.  If you like the taste mesquite imparts, then wholeheartedly use it.  It's all personal, but make it enjoyable.  It should be above all fun, if it becomes work, life's too short...

Just make sure your doors and fences are locked, and take the phone off the hook.  your neightbors will be hounding you once they start smelling the smokey goodness wafting over into their yards.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member

Offline styckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
Al would your meat rub for pork work on bear meat? also would there be any difference in smoking time for a small ham. Thanks Delin
Walk tall as the trees,live strong as the mountains,be gentle as the spring winds, keep the warmth of the summer sun in your heart and the Great Spirit will always be with you.

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
The pork rub or the beef rub would work for bear.  Although to me, bear most resembles beef than pork, I'm sure either will be fine.  

You must remember one thing about smoking, it's not so much the time, but the temperature.  Sometimes meat can be tempertmental, and that probe thermometer will gradually creep up, then all of a sudden not budge...for HOURS.  It all depends on the kindness of the meat.

I've had whole pork shoulders be done in 6 hours, and others that took 12.  Briskets can go between 14 and 24 hours.  It's all about the temperature, that's what you must go by.  The magic happens between 160 and 190/195.  190 if you're slicing, 195 if you're pulling.

The only standard is that smoke stops penetrating after 3 hours.  That's the norm, so you don't waste any wood.  The only time you'd add wood after that time, is if you're fire got too low and you're cook chamber temperature dropped.  Wood burns hotter, faster than charcoal.

Hope this helps.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member

Offline styckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »
Thanks Al I'll let you know hoe it turns out Delin
Walk tall as the trees,live strong as the mountains,be gentle as the spring winds, keep the warmth of the summer sun in your heart and the Great Spirit will always be with you.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 01:20:00 AM »
Thanks Al, you da man!

I put a rub on my ribs last weekend and added ground coriander. It was good and added a little different twist.

Al, could you clue me in on cooking beef brisket? I never tried it. How do you select the meat? Is it called simply a beef brisket at the market? When I cook ribs, I wrap in aluminum foil and roast until temder. Would this work with the beef brisket?

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
Beef Brisket can come in several different ways.  The entire Brisket is called a "PACKER" and it consists of two separate muscles that are separated by a layer of fat.  They are the "FLAT" and the "DECKLE" or "POINT".  The Flat is what is generally used for Corned Beef.  The Flat is just that, flat.  The Deckle or Point is shaped kinda like a triangle, and it's marbled wonderfully.  The Packer also comes with a layer of fat on the top of it about 1/2" thick.
I smoke the entire Brisket, and it takes anywhere from 14 to 24 hours, average time for me is around 18 hours.

I trim the fat layer down to about 1/4"-1/8".  I then slather the entire Brisket with a mixture of 1/2 Dijon Mustard and 1/2 Worcestershire Sauce.  It then goes into a huge zip-lock bag over night.  The next day I sprinkle on the rub and put it back into the zip-lock for several hours, or until the next day if I'm pressed for time.

About 2 hours before I'm going to start it, I take it out of the fridge and sprinkle it again with the rub.  It stays out until I'm ready to put it in the smoker.  You want the meat to be as close to room temperature as possible to give you an even cooking throughout the Brisket.  It takes me about 30-45 minutes to get my coals glowing in my chimneys, and for the smoker to get up to temp (220-250).

I place a rack over a large aluminum catering tray, and spray it with PAM.  The Brisket goes onto the rack.  I make a spray/mop of apple cider vinegar, beef broth, melted butter, and some rub and place it in a Pryex cup if mopping, or into a spray bottle if spraying.  If using the spray bottle, I keep it in a pot of hot water to keep the butter melted.

I insert a probe thermometer into the thickest part of the Flat, and set it for 165.  You do not want to put the probe into the fat pocket that separates the two muscles, you will get an inaccurate reading, or into the Deckle, it will cook wonderfully no matter what you do to it.  The Flat is what you want done right because the Deckle will always turn out great due to its' fat marbling.

I add my wood to the fire to get the smoke going, and place the "brisket on the rack over the pan" set-up into the smoker.  I let it go for at least an hour or two before I spray/mop it.  At three hours, I turn the Brisket over and it stays like that.  I mop/spray every 90 minutes or so.

When the probe hits 165, I double wrap it in foil, and put it back into the smoker until it hits 190 (for slicing) or 195 (for shredding/pulling).  At that point, I take it off of the smoker and wrap it again in foil and place it into an empty cooler for at least 1 hour, up to 4.

Slice or shred as you wish.  Sauce on the side.
Enjoy.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 11:44:00 PM »
Hey thanks a lot for the great information Al. One more question, what is an average weight for a brisket?

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »
It depends on the cut you're using.  If using a full packer, it could go between 14-18 pounds before trimming.  Also, average times for pork shoulder and beef brisket is 90 minutes per pound cooking time.  But again, it depends on cook chamber temp, the weather, the piece of meat, etc...  90 minutes is a good starting point though.  Remember to go by the thermometer, that is the only true way to judge doneness.  Invest in a probe model with a digital readout and possibly a remote unit.  There are several good brands out there where you can pre-set your desired temp, and some also offer two probes so you can keep an eye on two separate pieces of meat at the same time.  Enjoy!!!!
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 04:04:00 AM »
Thanks Al. I did buy a flat one at the market, a 9 pounder. It is frozen now. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks.

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
Go for it.  No matter what, it'll turn out good!!!!  Keep about 1/4" `of fat on it, as it doesn't have the point to protect part of it.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member

Offline oldgriz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
Here is my rib rub and the way I make them.. this also works great on steaks and chicken...

¼ cup Brown Sugar
1 tbl Salt
3 tbl Ground Cumin
1 tbl Lemon Pepper
2 tbl Chili Powder (more if you like it spicy)
2 tbl Paprika

Mix all ingredients and rub over ribs… put in foil packet and let set at least 4 hours (overnight is better).. place in 200 degree oven for 2 hour…. Drain liquid from foil packets and place ribs on low heat grill with smoke of choice for ½-1 hour until nicely browned… brush on BBQ sauce and raise heat and cook a bit longer…. Be careful these are fall off the bone ribs
Tom Mullane
Bear Grayling Mag TD 60" 50#
Bear Grayling Mag TD 64" 37#
Wing Chaparell 60" 48#
Tom Cole Old Timer LB 68# 54#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©