3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: board bow  (Read 348 times)

Offline gpill

• Trad Bowhunter
board bow
« on: November 26, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
I'm in the process of building my first board bow.  I am ready to cut an arrow shelf on the bow.  My question to you bow guru's is do i cut the arrow shelf exactly in the middle of the bow or where?

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: board bow
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
gpill,
 I'm no guru but the middle of the bow is usually where your handle is.  Measure to find the exact center of your bow and depending on how large your hand width is expect a 4" to 4 1/2" total handle area.  So a 4" handle will be 2" above and 2" below the exact center.  Just above the handle should be your shelf whether you cut one in or build one out with leather, antler or anything else you want to use.  Look at all the pictures of other's bows for reference.
Christopher

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
I usually wait to the very end of the building process to do anything to the handle area. That way I have lots of material to clamp without effecting the finished bow.
   I usually make my bows symmetrical these days. I mark the center of the length and add 2" to either side of that line for the handle then add 1 1/2" to 2" on either side of the handle for the fades. Another way is to mark center, go up 1 1/4" and down 2 3/4" for the handle. That way your lower limb will be a bit stiffer. I find the symmetrical way to be easier to see tiller.
   Check out Jawge's or Ferret's web sites. Lots of good info about board and stave bows.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
Just FYI, most don't "cut" an arrow shelf.  Without a laminated riser, most woods won't allow that kind of a cut without breaking, usually somehwere near full draw!

Most build up an arrow shelf on the side of the bow with leather or wood.  Please be careful cutting into that handle!
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
I am against cutting an arrow shelf out of the bow as well. Broke my first good oasge bow right in the handle from a too deep cut out. Narrow the arrow pass area to about 1" and glue on a rest, center shot is not the least bit necessary with properly spined arrows.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
What Eric and Jeff said!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 08:19:00 AM »
I agree with Jeff, Eric, and Mark.  Take a look at how deep (front to back) the riser section of a glass bow is before you cut a shelf into your bow.  Glass is stronger then wood and most bowyers laminate the riser area with several pieces of wood make it stronger.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©