INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Smokers  (Read 1481 times)

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
Smokers
« on: December 16, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
Buying a new smoker can't decide between Propane or Electric. Lets hear the pro's and con's from the Tradgang. Thanks in advance, bretto

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Smokers
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
I have only used charcoal ones which work fine. Don't know about propane or electric.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »
I have used all propane is my favorite.Easy to use great product. smokey mountain at bass pro or cabelas 149.99
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
HT, I've used the charcoal smokers for years, My third one just rusted away. I was mainly wanting to have more consistent heat control for making stuffed sausage, jerky and such. thanks

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
Find yourself a Weber Smoky Mountain (WSM). Absolutely the best charcoal smoker built. It will hold up to 20 pounds of charcoal that will last for a 20 hour cook if needed.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
I prefer to smoke with lump charcoal and wood.  You want a smoker that is built right, strong not flimsy.  The fuel is a moot point and your personal preference.  If it's not a good solid model, you'll lose heat, smoke, and money because it won't last.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 08:34:00 PM »
AL, Do you have any recommendations? I have been kicking the idea around for some time now.  :wavey:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
It depends on really how much you're going to use it and how much you're going to smoke at once.  Remember, it's low and slow.  A full packer brisket can take 18-24 hours to be "done".  Ribs, anywhere from 3-9 hours.  Pork shoulder/butt 6-12 hours.  

I have several homemade models that I had welded using new, clean 55 gallon drums, and 2 bullet type water smokers.

A bullet or WSM is very easy to use and a good choice for beginners.  It looks like a short squat rocket. There's a fire pan on the bottom, a drip pan on the next level, then 2 cooking surfaces.  It can hold a decent amount of meat, and is easy to regulate the temperature.  A full pan of coals will last up to 6 hours.  And they're relatively cheap.

Intermediate models run between 250-600 bucks.  They're better built, with thicker walls, have a larger, separate cooking chamber, and a separate smoke box.

Then you have the higher end models, that run from about 1,000 bucks to whatever you can con your wife into thinking is necessary!!!

But you can get great results with just a drum, some rebar, and two heavy bowls.  I would start with a bullet, as they're nearly put together for you, it takes about 10 minutes to put it together.  And they're pretty reasonably priced.  You'll get years out of it.  I'm going on year 8 with my two bullets, and barring the smoked up paint job, they're good as new.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
Al Dente, I have used the bullet smokers a lot, And I have a big Smoker that I made that will hold 300-400lbs. of meat. ( had 2 180 lb. hogs on it at the same time ) And when the big dog gets fired up We use the lump charcoal like You mentioned in Your first post.
I was just wanting something to make small batches of sausage in, You know like 10 to 15 lbs. at a time and thought that electric or propane would have better heat control than a charcoal smoker. Thanks

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »
I think Cabela's or Bass Pro have some cast iron upright smokers that will fit the bill for you.  They're about 3-4' tall and can hold the quantities you're talking about.  The sausages can be hung on hooks suspended from the racks, or coiled on the racks.  

Electric and Propane will give you the exact control you're asking for, and I believe the model I saw is for propane.

Way to go with not one but two hogs!!!!! at the same time.  That's some pig pickin' party!!!!
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
Your not kidding a pig pickin' party. Usually once a year My wife and I have 75-100 of are closest friends over.Thanks for all the comments friends,Have a great Holiday season, Eat Drink and be Merry. bretto

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©