INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Mahi - Mahi Recipes  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
Mahi - Mahi Recipes
« on: May 27, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
We just returned, last weekend from a charter fishing trip. We caught about 460 lbs. of dolfin and I am looking for some decent recipes, tha provide a variety of flavors for this fish. Our share was about 150 lbs. of fillets.

It's all vaccuum sealed and frozen, can some of you kind folks help me out here. I have looked online, but didn't find to large of a variety of ways to fix it.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mahi - Mahi Recipes
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
I have grilled it with Lawrys seasoning salt and it was gooooood. Also try it grilled with Lemon Pepper and Lime juice.  You can also grill it with Teriyaki Sauce.  Its all good. LOL
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
Mahi is good any way it's fixed except raw. For being such a tasty fish cooked it is nasty raw.
Grilling any way with almost any seasoning is good, My favorite is blackened. Some folks around these parts prefer it lightly floured and pan fried, but not deep fried.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 01:24:00 AM »
I wonder if it would taste good grilled on a plank? We do this with salmon sometimes, use an alder wood plank, 6" wide by about 15" long and about a half inch thick, and soak the plank in water(I toss mine in a bucket the night before, and put a rock on the plank to sink it). Put the plank on the grill and the fish on the plank and set the heat on high to get the bottom of the plank to char and smoke, then turn it down a bit. This cooks the fish slow and the smoke seasons it, and it stays moist with the steam from the wood. If you want it brown, just slide it off the plank onto the grill for a short time to finish it off.
I bet hickory or any fruit wood will work well too.

Offline Bowhuntah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 02:22:00 AM »
Wrap it up in some tin foil with gobs of mayo, pepper, sweet onions, and soy sauce. cook it in the oven or throw it on the BBQ. Or saute it in some garlic butter then make a light rum butter sauce to drip over it while it's cooking. The rum butter is pretty much just that... rum and butter stirred up in a pan. or mix up some macadamia nuts with some panko flakes dip in egg and milk then coat with the mix and fry til golden brown.
Everybody loves archery... some just haven't tried it yet.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
Any fish fillet is good this way. Cooked tuna like this last night: a mixture of parsley, garlic salt, pepper, 1:1:1 that you actually press into the flesh of the fish with your hands. Seared in a cast iron skillet over high heat with a tbs of olive oil to keep the filet from sticking for 2 minutes each side (3 if a fatter filet). Add 1/2 cup of water and put it in the oven at 375 for 6 minutes. The moisture from the water absorbs into the fish and it is really good!Not fancy but an option if you get tired of grilling all that beautiful fish...am jealous!
Mike Davenport

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
I've heard that Mahi-mahi means "stong-stong" in Hawaian/polynesian? It is a stronger tasting fish. I, too, have used teriyaki marinade. Also have used dry fish rubs. Also try liquid Jamican Jerk marinate if you like spicy. I do all these on the grill.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 02:10:00 AM »
Mahi-Mahi is not a strong tasting fish but it is very firm which makes it an excellent choice for grilling.

Here's a way I make it that is really awsome.

Light your charcoal grill and toss on a couple smallish pieces of firewood like oak or locust too.

Rinse fish pieces thoroughly in cold water and then squeeze to remove excess water and pat dry with paper towels.  (wet fish don't cook very good for some reason)

In a small to medium pan melt 1/2 stick of real butter along with about two tablespoons of olive oil and one or two cloves of garlic.  Heat slowly so the garlic just warms up and browns gently.  Once browned, smash it up real good in the pan and remove from heat.  (If you leave it on after being smashed, it'll burn the garlic)  

Add about two heaping spoons of peach jelly and the juice from one lime.  Home made jelly is best of course.  Stir it together and start it back on some low heat.  Chop up about a tablespoon of fresh cilantro and stir that in too.

This will be both a baste and a sauce for after the fish is done.

Brush a little olive oil on the fish and sprinkle with a some seasoning like a good cajun spice but go lightly as the baste will be the main seasoning.  Even just some light salt and the baste is good.

When your coals are ready add a couple chunks of smoking wood like hickory, peach, apple etc and put the fish directly on the grill over direct heat.  Cook a couple minutes before flipping.  When you flip it, baste the cooked side with the sauce and close the lid a few minutes then recheck.  Flip twice more with not much time on any side and baste each time with the sauce.  It only takes about ten minutes total to cook.  Less if thin or the fire is really hot.  Just eyeball it and when it looks done, it probably is.

Serve with some seasoned wild rice or similar and a glass of white wine and MMMMMmmmmmmmmmm-MMM!  Your wife or girlfriend will think you're a master chef.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
MAhi-Mahi in a Pistachio Crust with Tarragon Cream Sauce

Finely chop Pistacios
Dredge filets in flour, then egg, then pistachios and set aside in a single layer on a plate
Mince some shallot and add to 2 Tbs. butter in a pan.  After a few minutes add some white wine and reduce.  Add 1 cup heavy cream, simmer for 5 minutes.  Swirl in a few Tbs of butter, season with salt and pepper, and add 2 Tbs. fresh chopped tarragon and a squirt of fresh lemon.
Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan until hot, not smoking just hot.  Add filets in a single layer, without crowding.  Cook each side until golden, about 2 minutes, drain on a paper towel lined plate until all are cooked.
Serve with rice pilaf and a sauted  veggie medley, with some sauce poured over each filet.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©