INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: hog/pig cookin' ???  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
hog/pig cookin' ???
« on: June 13, 2009, 06:30:00 AM »
got the hog meat coming - 4 quarters and 2 backstraps - how to cook these goodies up?  grill?  broil in oven?  marinade required?  

please help!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hog/pig cookin' ???
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
Hickory smoke!!!!!!!! put on a good dry rub, wrap a shoulder in heavy foil and smoke it 5hrs remove foil and smoke it some more.
this is a fun daytime event with a few barley pops and a target outside with the smoker.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
Rob, some of the best wild Hog I've eaten was cooked on a backyard Grill/Smoker, You know the one with the off-set fire box.

The Hog was de-boned and broken down into separate muscle sized pieces. Rolled liberally in dry rub and left in the fridge over night to absorb the flavors. Then it was seared on a very hot grill 375-400 degrees until outside was charred evenly ( not burnt!! ) Then it was put into foil cooking bags and the grill temp. was reduced to 200 degrees and the meat finished in it's own juices until it reached 155 internal temp.

You could use a wet marinade also but here in the Kansas City area You have to do it at night and never let anyone know!!! LOL

Good luck cooking Your kill and congrats on Your first PIG.

bretto

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
Rob, If its a big boar then make sausage out of it. If it is a small boar or a sow then what i do is make a 50/50 mix of mustard and worchester sauce. I coat the meat with this and leave in frig for overnight. Then i put on a rub that is part kansas city rub, garlic powder and brown sugar. I let that sit for 2 hours. Then I put the quarters on a smoker at around 250 degrees. I hit it with a spray of apple juice every hour. I use a meat thermometer and if slicing then i wait until it gets to 170 degrees, if making pulled pork I wait until it gets to 195 degrees. Then i let it sit for about 20 minutes to "rest" with just a peice of foil placed on top, not wrap. Then slice or if pulled pork tear apart with two forks.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
If you do not have a BBQ pit the straps can be grilled with a nice dry mustard based rub(look on web for recipes) best pork t-loin you will ever haveIMO.  To make a really easy and super tasty pulled pork w/o a pit use the crock pot.  Rub a roast with a brown sugar based rub.  include salt, cayanne pepper, allspice, cinnamon, clove and ground ginger to taste and coat the meat liberally.  put in the crock over night with a 1/4 inch of apple cider vinager.  Take out, remove large chunks of fat and pull apart.  Add juice from crock if needed and throw it on a bun with cole slaw and some BBQ sauce.  Very tasty

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
Rob,
I have a small processing business where we make Hot sticks, summersausage, brats, ect...

I would be more then happy to make some stuff for you, problem is how to ship the meat without costing an arm and a leg....
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©