INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Pickled Tongue Recipe  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
Pickled Tongue Recipe
« on: October 15, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
Anyone know a good pickled tongue or heart recipe?

An oldtimer I knew used to make it mostly out of beef tongue (although a few deer hearts) and was some of the best stuff I ever ate.

He has since passed and the recipe lost.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pickled Tongue Recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
Hmmm, guess no one has tried it.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
Gary, My mom made the best pickeled tongue. she boiled it in pickeling spices for a couple of hours then took it out and cooled it. She would slice it down the top and pull the skin off and slice it very thin. Then put it on party rye bread with mustard and a slice of onion. Boy it was great! Reminded me a lot of corned beef. I have one I am going to cook up soon, I'll go thru her recipe book and see what I can find. If I find it I'll post it for you.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
i take a tong
put in a pot of cold water, add a bit of salt and bring to a simmer and keep it simmering for (2-4 hours) until the outer white skin on the tong will peel of easily, the time it takes depends on the size and age of the tong. peel the the outer skin off the tong.

once peeled put into clean water and add salt, pepper and mixed herbs (itanian) chopped onions, carrots and leaks and simmer until vegetables are cooked. eat cold or hot.  

you can also do the same thing but after peeling the tong, find a pot that it fits into very tight squeeze it into the smaller pot take some of the water and add gelatine and dissolve pour over tong and then place a plate that will fit inside the pot and add weight on top so that it will compress the tong. the the tong cool and set over night, then remove tong and slice thin
eat cold
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
Thanx for the info.

Offline Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
There's a difference between pickling and corning.  Pickling is using spices and vinegar, where corning is using spices and sodium nitrate.  Pickling results in a natural color (grayish brown) where corning results in a pink color, like corned beef.  I prefer the method described above. Simmer until you can peel the tastebuds/skin off, then simmer with vegetables or roast in the oven.  Tongue is very underrated, and when done properly is utterly delicious and tender.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
Why would you--sorry but yuck the thought is bad enough. There is plenty of good meat on a deer. Just joking whatever turns you on man
And in the end when i can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark on its flight;when i posses only the spirit of the hunter, i will hunt.... if only in my dreams... because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and i... i am the hunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©