INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: SMOKERS electric or Propane??????  (Read 3304 times)

Offline flinch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SMOKERS electric or Propane??????
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 02:20:00 AM »
I have an Offset Charcoal Silver Smoker tha I modified the exhaust on and it works OK.   I would reccommend buying a remote digital thermometer to check the temps regularly (Like from inside the house under AC while watching TV).   I like to smoke brisket and got lucky the first time.  It got rainy so I double foiled the briskets and moved them into the oven to finish.  and If it ain't broke don't fix it.   I also like to smoke those Jimmy Dean sausages with some mustard and rub on them   THey get done faster and keeps the Chef entertained.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000328

If the link did not work go take a look at the thread about "Brisket" and then go build yourself a cooker.  Nothing better than an all day BBQ and the food that comes off after 8-10 hours.  Wood and Lump charcoal is the way to go IMO

Bob Urban

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
I've got a propane smoker that has worked well for me. I plan on buying a Big Green Egg this year once I build my deck. It's big bucks buck everyone that has one loves it and it will last a life time. All you use is hard wood charcoal and a small amount at that.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Traeger pellet grill.
The mid to upper range ones have thermostatic control.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
I am a propane fan.. Easy and simple.  Fine tune to correct temp and walk away for 6-8 hours. Plus no matter the weather, storms, power outage ect. ect.  I am smoking!

Even my homemake smoker (for sausage) is propane.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Doug Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
Well, there are different kinds of smoking. I have a WSM but I only use it for hot smoking (i.e. BBQ) where temps are between 225 and 250. Those temps are too hot for cold smoking cured meats like summer sausage, ham, fish, bacon, etc. For that you need to be able to do temps between 120-160 degrees, in which case electric gives you more precise control, in my opinion. I see John III's point about power outages, but I'd also be concerned about tank outages, unless you've got bulk propane you use for other things at your house (I don't).

Doug

Offline djanko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
Look up smokin tex if you want a great smoker....thermostat, electric, it is the best!

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
I've got an Oklahoma Joe smoker grill that I use for everything from brisket or burgers to jerky and love it.  It's the horizontal barrel shape with an offset firebox on one end.

When making jerky I use some home made wire racks that are simply wood 1x2's stood on edge and nailed together like big picture frames that just fit my cook area.  I then covered one side with 1/4" wire mesh.  I take the racks out of the smoker and fill the home made trays with jerky meat and just sit them down inside the smoker body in a stack three trays high.  It holds a LOT of jerky.  Get the charcoal going well in the fire box, add the smoking wood of my choice and then dampen it down pretty far to drop the temp and walk away.

All the talk of temperatures and keeping things within 1 to 3 degrees just makes me laugh.  This stuff is NOT rocket science.  I don't even have a temp gauge on my grill any more.  Some of the best BBQ joints I've ever eaten in were cooking their BBQ in outdoor pits and the only temp control/sensor was the cooks left hand.  Well, maybe his right.  Depends on which hand was holding the beer...  For all you semi anal types who want to plan all the details and say things like "well, if I put the brisket on at 10pm and set the thermostat at 250 degrees, I can take the meat off at 9:00am and the internal temp should be about 195 degrees..."  well, it's all totally unnecessary.  You cook it till it's done.  If you check it and it's not done, leave it on longer.  The temps are low enough that you won't burn it.  Just check on things now and then.

People think it's some kind of magic to slow cook a piece of meat and that you need regulators and temp sensors but sheeeesh, I find it a LOT easier to not worry about all that stuff.  The basics are learn your smoker, keep the temp low, restock the firebox if/when needed and bring a bib to the table.

I've got a guy I work with who bought a Treggor (sp?) and went on and on for days about how technologically advanced the thing was and how he could just "set it and forget it".  Sounded like Ron Popiel or whatever that TV sales guys name is.  We both bring in smoked meat for the guys once in a while and his was never as tender and had so little smoke flavor that it might as well have been baked in an oven.  He's also had two times where it messed up and he ruined a bunch of meat because he walked away from it and it malfunctioned.  Something about a little auger and a plastic fan that melted.  In fact, there is so much difference in how our brisket turns out that just the other day he asked me if I would smoke a brisket for him next time I do another one for myself.

No idea if it's the fault of the tregger or the operator and don't care.  I'll just stick to my old fashioned wood smoker and keep making happy folks lick their fingers.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline stickbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
lots of good info for the new guys like me.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
Just made up my first batch of sausage  sticks last weekend.  Used my Camp Chef smoke vault.  It was rough keeping the temps low on the first batch, and it turned out salty, figured it out on the second go around, and it turned out great!
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Todd Robbins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
Temperature control is everything, if you plan to cold smoke certain sausage recipes, and if you don't keep the control tight when you're smoking bacon you'll either overcook it or not maximize the smoke flavor.  It's not so important when hot smoking brisket, ribs, turkeys, and such, because you have a great deal of room for error.  Not so with most cured meats.  Electric makes cold smoking much easier.  Just load up the wood chips, set the thermostat, and make sure you don't run out of wood.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
I have a real big wood smoker that I like to use when I have nothing to do but run the smoker.That being said I have a propane one I like when I dont want to babysit it.I have also had electric smokers which dont seem to do as well as propane for me on windy or colder days.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline djanko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
I have an electric smokin tex...same as a coolshack...they are easy, fool proof.  You can go wrong with either one.  Perfect everytime!!

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
I'm sure the Weber Smokey Mountain is all it's cracked up to be, and for what you pay for it, it should be.  But, I agree that wood and charcoal is the way to go.  I have the Brinkmann Gourmet model, but have made modifications to it to make it burn more efficiently.  They cost under a hundred bucks, even with the mods, and work real well.  If you google the topic, you can find some good write-ups.  I personally look at a day of smoke cooking almost like a hunting day.  The charcoal gives you a good excuse to slow down and spend some time outside babysitting it, even if it doesn't need to be adjusted that often.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©