3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Small limb crack  (Read 386 times)

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
Small limb crack
« on: November 26, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
Fellas,
I just received a used Robertson Purist and noticed a small crack in the back limb lamination under the glass (glass is not cracked).  The crack does not extend across the limb horizontally.  In the pics you can see the grain pattern near the crack giving the impression of a crack.  The bow overall is in excellent shape, and I was curious if this could have been present during glue-up as it is a appears dark.  The bow shoots fine.  Should I be concerned?
Thanks,
Bob

"You're never beaten until you admit it." - General George S. Patton, Jr

Offline Aaron F.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Small limb crack
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 11:43:00 PM »
It's hard to see in the picture. To me it looks like there is a crack on the 1st wood laminate nearest the glass, but it's not cracked all the way through.

If it is cracked and if it was mine I'd fill it with some of the runny kind of superglue.  I think that surely would make me feel better, I'm not sure how much actual help it would be.

Two of the bows I've made have failed where the shelf is cut.  There seems to be much stress there and vibration of the shot doesn't help. In my dealings with this they have usually eventually failed, even with the superglue. The small crack usually became bigger and bigger with more shooting.

But, if it's not really cracked (or not a new crack) and the blemish is original to the bow when new, I'd guess that it would work fine. I'd ask whomever I bought the bow from if it was like this when they got it.

Not sure if this helps.
Aaron

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »
Aaron,
You are correct it is the outer limb lam edge only. Honestly, it looks like it may have always been there, as it is dark, like some glue, or stain seeped in.  The glass is not cracked in the least bit.
Bob
"You're never beaten until you admit it." - General George S. Patton, Jr

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
I don't think I would worry about it.  :D    :D
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©