3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What size longbow do I need?  (Read 740 times)

Offline pitbulls20

• Trad Bowhunter
What size longbow do I need?
« on: November 18, 2007, 08:23:00 AM »
I have been reading on this site and a couple others and can't seem to find a guide to figure out what size longbow to get. I was thinking of a simple longbow that will be good for a beginner as a starter bow. I am 6' tall 170 pds. I was reading that a 40# pull weight is good to start with while learning, is this true? I was thinking of maybe a price range of around $350 and I will likely go used for the price range I have. I do plan to at some point hunt small game with a bow but for now maybe just targets.

Also if anyone can suggest a good wood to start with that would help. I guess like many things there probably isn't an exact way to get a bow.

Thanks for your time.

Larry

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What size longbow do I need?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
Larry,
My suggestion is to try to find some traditional  shooters in your area and try several different bows.  You'll need to measure your draw length.  

Yes, starting out light 40-45lbs is a good starting weight, and is perfect for small game, targets, and even deer.  Some may argue that 40lbs may be a little too light, but that really depends on your draw length.  However, you'll most likely increase the draw weight as you start shooting more.  Will your budget allow you to do this in the future?  

You can find some very nice used bows around $350.00.

Bob
"You're never beaten until you admit it." - General George S. Patton, Jr

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
Starkman is correct, however we are not sure about what you mean by size.  I would suggest that you look at the 64 inch length.  The draw weight as Starkman stated is no out of line, I lean to the 45 pound mark.  

He is correct, you most likely will want to increase your draw weight in the future, so I would suggest buying the best bow you can afford, that way you could re-coup some of you money by selling it in the future.  My guess is that you will likely become like most of us, that is to have more bows than we can possibly shoot....
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline GroundHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »
Pit, what kind of shape are you in? Can you draw 50#, 60# 70# easily? Go to a bow store and pull some if you don't have any archer friends who will let you shoot one of theires.

If you are 6 ft tall your draw length is most likely 28 inches. That calls for a longbow between 66" and 72". 64" will give up stability for no good reason. Your draw length lets you use the full working limb of 66"-72". If your Draw was 26" or 27" you don't get the working action out of a bow over 66 inches, and 62" to 64" inches works better for those draw lengths.

Longer is smoother and more stable, shorter is snappier - faster and less stable.

Generally.
GroundHunter
Mom taught me: "Can't never could and won't never will"

HH Wesley Spl. 66" 85#@28
HH Black Bear. 66" 73#@28
Instinctive shooter, like wood arrows. Stalk & still hunt.
Dream: wingshooting ducks and quail

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
Definitely go with a used bow.  You can come very close to getting your money back out of it if you decide to try something a bit different.  

1+ on the 40 to 45# range.

Length depends a little on the style of longbow, too.  You said "simple," to which the above advice would apply very well.  IF you went with a hybrid longbow, I think a shorter bow would work fine for you too.

I think there are at least 3 main categories of longbows:
1.  Straight-limbed Hill-style.  (Very classic but definitely some hand shock compared to other styles).

2. Mild reflex/deflex bows (They still look like a "D" when strung, but have less hand shock).

3. Hybrid, more pronounce reflex/deflex bows (They perform well, but have lost that classic look)

To each his own.  All good in their own way.  Try them all, even.  

Enjoy the journey!
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
error long and light, you'll be better off for it in the long run.

I'm 5' 10"es and will draw a 29.5" arrow right up so the back of my bh touches my finger, figure about 29"es.  So take your size as a reference not a catch all.  

You really need to figure out what your draw is first.  This will help determine what weight bow at @28"es and what length bow to get.   Even hybrids benefit by shooting a slightly longer then you'd think bow length.  

I peronally prefer 66 or 68"ers.   Have a helluva time shooting and just getting comfortable with almost ever 64" bow I've touched at my draw weight.

And what was said is right on the money.  For 350 bucks you are limitless what you can get.   There are TONS of bows out there in that price range or less and quality bows at that.   Be patient and you'll find the right one the first time....or maybe the second...or maybe the 17th  ;)

Offline pitbulls20

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »
I think I will try to find a store somewhere that will measure me for a bow. I will definitely go used though, that is for sure. Once I get my measurements  I will try to pick myself up something. There is alot to it it seems but it is like that with anything. There is always a better way to do most anything.

Thanks for all of the input, it definitely puts me in the right direction.

Larry

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
If you are near Albertville you are welcome to come shoot my bows.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
yeah try as many as ya can then go for the one ya like the best. as in feel poundage shootability and price as there are a lot of bows out there. i am still looking for the right one LOL!!! ya can never have to many bows  :archer:    :biglaugh:   good luck on your quest may the force be with you young string walker.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
Used is the way to go, especially in your price range. There are a couple of Martin Savanah's in the classified section, as well as a Horne brush bow. Take a look. Personally, I would recommend you purchasing a LB in the 60 to 64 inch range with a draw weight between 45 and 50@28".

Offline Blackhawk7204

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »
Larry, Give Sipsey River Traditional Archery a call. 205-387-2388. Right here in northwest Alabama. You can try out several brands and styles of bows and they will help you get the right spine arrow for you. You can even shoot at night, there is a lighted outdoor target.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 06:58:00 PM »
Yup, have to agree with Bill 66"s or 68"s is too long to start out. Even if ya draw 29"s or netter there are a lot of bow that are smooth to that draw and are 60-64"s. Give Doug, Bowchef a shout. He may have something for ya to try and his bows are great shooters. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
Don't go to heavy on the poundage on your first bow, i made that mistake on my first. Stay under 50# but at least 45# just my opinion on the poundage but you want to stay heavy enough for hunting. I'm kinda sawed off at 5' 7" 145# my first longbow was 62" then i went to 66" and also have a 64" both of those are Hill's. I would think either one of those last two lengths would work good for you. As far as a Savannah goes that was my first and i thought it stacked but it may of been that i was over bowed. My humble opinion would be for you to find a used bow 66" 48# @28"
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline pitbulls20

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 12:36:00 AM »
I am actually in mobile alabama, stationed in gulfport miss. I plan to go up to Bham sometime when I get back home from deployment (in Japan atm).

So far I have a good idea what to look for just need to try some bows out.

I saw the sipsey river trad on a website somewhere but I think they are a 5 hour drive away from me in mobile or 6 hour from gulfport.
I will see what I can do though but testing a bow and making a 5 hour drive may not happen.

Thanks so far everyone!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 12:46:00 AM »
how can you tell someone a 66 or 68" bow is too long when you dont even know the guys drawlength?

The longbow to long theory is complete hogwash!!!  Like being over bowed, you're much better to long then to short........

Sorry I just don't buy that mindset!

Offline pitbulls20

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Well an update. It has been a while but I am now getting ready to buy my first bow. I was looking at the Mohawk Bows  http://www.mohawkbows.com/  because they seem to be getting great reviews and at a good price.

I will be going to Sipsey River this weekend (I Hope) and maybe they can tell me what size bow to get and arrows.

Is there anything I should ask them when/if I make it there or just let them run with it?

Thanks

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
I am guessing with your size you wouldn't be over a 30" draw or under 27".  That said you should be good with a 64" longbow.  I draw an honest 30" and can shoot alot of 62" hybrids with no problem.  Don't go to short or you'll have alot of problems with your release.  I think most folks will agree a longer bow is more forgiving.  On that note... give Vince a call.  I just got a Mohawk 66" and it is a keeper.  I have not dealt with a nicer guy and I am sure he will be able to give you advice.  He does have a try before you buy plan..you just pay the shipping.  Imho you can not go wrong with a mohawk.. it is far and away the best bow I have bought for the money and right up there with all of the big names...Fast...Super Quiet... and just plain classic looking longbow.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 06:35:00 AM »
Not sure why anyone would ever recomend a short bow over a longer one unless you planned on hunting with it from a blind.A nice long 40lb bow will shorten the learning curve and still be enough to hunt if you wish.My guess is 90% of all new shooters start out with too much bow that only makes learning that much harder.I did the same thing and started with a 55lb bow because of all the hype about needing more weight and a short bow because my draw length was less than 28".As far as I am concerned I pretty much wasted a year or more that a longer lighter weight bow would not have made happen.I don't care how strong you are using a lighter bow starting out will put you shooting better much quicker.A longer bow will aid in that as well.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 06:46:00 AM »
+1 on a Mohawk longbow

You've got lots of opinions about bows, and mine is that a classic D longbow will be easiest and most forgiving to shoot.

If yer new to archery, it might take some time to settle in to yer draw length.  And going a tad longer with bow length will be better for ya in the long run if yer goal is butts and bunnies ... and 40 pounds at yer draw length will do just fine for either, too.  

:wavey:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
All good info here. However , the best thing to do after you decide on a Longbow/Bowyer is to ask HIM what would he recommend at your draw length. Most bowyers tell me at my 27"s a 64"er will be perfect.Horne's Traditionalist=64"s, Saxon American=64"s,Mohawk=64"s, Lewis Hollow[3piece hybrid takedown] 62"s.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©